Sponsored

Honestly, Options/Packages Seem Stupidly Aimed At Women

Terlingua

Threads
Reaction score
I glottal say it out loud: The Mustang GT options seem diluted to capture women buyers.

A Mustang GT PP option not offered with an automatic or in a convertible? (forget the limited 50th - that's just a limited showroom mark-up tool). Even Ferraris come in automatics now. The Corvette Z06 has an automatic. Even race cars are automatics these days! :shrug:

But noooo… Ford figures automatics are only for non-performance oriented females. :crazy:

We know Ford wishes the number of women buyers would increase for the Mustang like they once were, but c'mon. The market has changed - women have other options nowadays (e.g. Kia Soul and other cute zoomy cars).

I've waited for the specs on the 2015 - and big time disappointed now. :frusty:
Sponsored

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
Huh? I know lots of women who drive stick...

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
That is some strange logic you have there. Women don't drive stick, the PP only comes with stick, therefore they're trying to appeal to women?

Dirdle65

Threads
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, I'm a guy who drives a 6 spd stick right now and I'm sick of it in town. Always shifting, always shifting. I'm getting and auto.

But as far as the auto and PP not being offered together I'm sure there is a solid reason behind that and it has nothing to do with women. Perhaps Ford found that people who ordered the PP in the past did't order the auto so why bother offering now. Or perhaps it's mechanically driven to where the new design cannot take the stress of the PP with an auto and independent rear suspension.

Beyond that, the original poster is treading thin ice in this category and I don't think I need to mention why.

OP
OP
Terlingua

Terlingua

Threads
Reaction score
That is some strange logic you have there. Women don't drive stick, the PP only comes with stick, therefore they're trying to appeal to women?
Most women buy automatics.

They assume men will be satisfied with sticks.

Since mostly only the male buyers care about the PP option, they only offer it in stick - no automatic.

Trust me, that is their math.

Chevy woke up and offered the 600+ HP Z06 with an automatic. Time for Ford to wake up too. Hey Ford: focus on that instead of cars on top of the empire state building. :rant:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Terlingua

Terlingua

Threads
Reaction score
But as far as the auto and PP not being offered together I'm sure there is a solid reason behind that and it has nothing to do with women. Perhaps Ford found that people who ordered the PP in the past did't order the auto so why bother offering now. Or perhaps it's mechanically driven to where the new design cannot take the stress of the PP with an auto and independent rear suspension.
Huh? Porsche 911. Ferrari. Corvette Z06. All with automatics.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
And do they all of those use the 6R80 Transmission? I think Dirdle65 was trying to illustrate that the 6R80 *may* not be able to handle the GT when combined with the PP, whereas it safely could with the 3.7 and 2.3 motors.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC

Since mostly only the male buyers care about the PP option, they only offer it in stick - no automatic.

I don't think it's related to gender. I think it's related to the intended use of the car. I think the 50th anniversary edition got it for the reason you mention - showroom exclusivity.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos

Chevy woke up and offered the 600+ HP Z06 with an automatic. Time for Ford to wake up too. Hey Ford: focus on that instead of cars on top of the empire state building. :rant:
Nah, I don't think it's any of this. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is their way of ensuring that the Limited Edition is more 'special.' I bet they offer the PP in automatic for MY '16...

Convertible, now that's a different story. They should probably offer it (PP) for the guys that simply like having all the options, but other than that, it is probably the model for which those track inspired features would be least likely to be used for their intended purpose. I think the convertible also raises extra challenges with respect to structural integrity, etc. May be something they simply didn't have time to sort out for this MY, amidst all of their other deadlines.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT

That suggests that they're trying to appeal to men, not women.

Sponsored

NVPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT PP
That suggests that they're trying to appeal to men, not women.
Can't say I follow the logic of this thread. Even with out the PP the GT is a heck of a car for any gender.

I suspect he's trying to find another way to complain about not having PP on the automatic and there have been many threads about that.

Buy an Automatic, put the upgrades on at the dealer and poof, you have an automatic with the PP.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
Buy an Automatic, put the upgrades on at the dealer and poof, you have an automatic with the PP.
I doubt that will be a very practical solution considering all of the suspension changes that the PP includes. Not to mention it has special tuning to the ABS and other electronics...

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
You can get the performance pack with an automatic in the eco-boost

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
Sadly (or not) most vehicles, even corvettes, are sold with automatics. I would not blame that on women, especially in the corvettes case as that is mostly gold chain wearing fat old men (no offense intended).
At least Chevy is finally going to offer a 8 speed auto even in the new C7 Z06 that is supposedly as good as a dual clutch as far as shift speeds.
Hopefully there will always be manuals for the peeps that want them but if Ford ever offers a real performance auto I will certainly consider it. I'm expecting the new 10 spd auto to be available around 2018.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
"Back in the day", manuals were considered to be faster than the same exact car with an auto. Autos have gotten so much better in the last 10 - 15 years, that this is no longer the case. A lot of people still love to row through the gears, though. I know that I love to do it when I'm not stuck in rush hour traffic.

Most of my cars through the years have been manuals, but my current is an auto because of rush hour traffic. I drove an '04 Mach 1 manual for 6 years to and from work (~30 mile commute) and it got real tiring in that car. The clutch feel in that beast didn't help matters at all.

Nowadays though, an auto is generally going to be faster and certainly more consistent. For this reason alone, I feel like an auto, with paddles and rev-matching, should certainly be available with the PP. I WILL be getting a PP, and I'm not sure I could go back to anything less than the 5.0 from a power perspective, so it looks like I'm getting a manual again.
Sponsored