Sponsored

High Performance Ecoboost vs Performance Pack GT

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait, you’re only supposed to do one at the time?
all pfizer products require periodic re-doses since they wear off. Taking 3 and 4 doses at a time has not been shown to have positive side-effects. :)
Sponsored

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
(Disclaimer: Didn't read the entire thread, just providing my 2 cents - not trying to start a war lol)

Coming from a 101a '20 HPP less handling pack to a 301a '22 GT less PP (both manual) was a bit of a change. I wish I could afford a GT PP as base steering feel is just non-existent, sloppy/bump-steers, and oddly has a small amount of play. The HPP and the FiST were pretty stiff and crisp in steering feel, I'm certain the GT PP is the same or at least similar. I liked the EB as it was quite fun and engaging as a daily (except for 3rd being a bit notchy), probably would've kept it if I had that grabber lime press car (insert chef's kiss).

The GT as a city daily is...meh? It's fun when you can push it, but (*IMO*) pretty boring as a daily stuck in city traffic. Like said - it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

Maintenance wise, the HPP takes ~6 qts of 5w-50. The GT PP takes ~11-13 qts of 5w-20/30 I believe. 2.3's seem a bit fragile at times - I never had any issues with mine in the 7500 miles of ownership. Head gaskets are pretty common on higher mileage Mustangs though. Haven't seen too many 5.0 Mustangs in for engine issues. Also, don't bother with the heated/vented seats as the seat backs are designed horribly for cooling.

Fuel economy for the manuals doesn't differentiate too much - I got around 18-21 city with the EB and 16-18 with the GT, highway was about the same at 24-26 cruising at 75-80 mph.

Both are fun though, I'd recommend trying to test drive each and see which one you'll like. I'd avoid going for a non-PP Mustang though, the sporty feel just isn't there (one of the reasons I'm looking at trading back down to a Focus ST).

steve0s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
STEVE
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP 2.3 Mustang
I don't have a lot to compare to but I did buy a 2020 HPP in January of 2021 for 37k OTD. It is as loaded as it could be I guess, 201a, HP with Magneride, Active Exhaust, B&O, safe/smart system. Quickly converted it to an RTR spec2 along with FBO's and NX2 turbo, e30/91 tuned by Ryan/PD. A couple steeda suspension mods like IRS alignment dowels, IRS braces and Gtrac ultralight front brace, oh and FP Magneride Springs. Believe it not the car gets better city MPG's with the NX2 then with the stock FP turbo which was very quick to be in boost. I'll say the car is quick and fast but definitely lacks the beautiful Coyote v8 orchestra. HP is like guns and ammo, you can never have enough!

20220516_105424.jpg

fdl2phx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Mustang Bullitt
I don't have a lot to compare to but I did buy a 2020 HPP in January of 2021 for 37k OTD. It is as loaded as it could be I guess, 201a, HP with Magneride, Active Exhaust, B&O, safe/smart system. Quickly converted it to an RTR spec2 along with FBO's and NX2 turbo, e30/91 tuned by Ryan/PD. A couple steeda suspension mods like IRS alignment dowels, IRS braces and Gtrac ultralight front brace, oh and FP Magneride Springs. Believe it not the car gets better city MPG's with the NX2 then with the stock FP turbo which was very quick to be in boost. I'll say the car is quick and fast but definitely lacks the beautiful Coyote v8 orchestra. HP is like guns and ammo, you can never have enough!

20220516_105424.jpg

That looks fantastic.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
For a guy like me l, whose avarage speed the last ten years is 20 mph (no joke), the bottom is everything. I guess I should upgrade the IC haha
Upgraded IC and a FP or similar tune and you'll easily break free with some spin turning and on wet roads in sport+, track or drag mode if a 6spd My GT does not break like that. Kinda miss that initial TQ hit. But one day soon I will be adding a PD supercharger.

Sponsored

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
I guess we all have a different measurement for fun. But for me the V8 sound is half the fun.
Same here. Even without Active Exhaust, it sounds a LOT better than the EBs I've heard around here.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
With the way gas is going... the EB is probably the smart buy. That black car you posted looks great with those PP2 type wheels. The auto isn't so bad.
The EB automatic will definitely give better gas mileage than the manual, if gas prices are a concern.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
Sure, if you want a four door EV. Otherwise no.

5B04028F-B94F-4103-8728-FF500F30F51D.jpeg
And if you can afford the "recharge". Here electricity is ridiculously high since ALL our 3 power plants use petroleum products (whether it's fuel oil, diesel, etc.) to produce electricity. So I kind of laugh at the guys here who say they're helping the environment since their cars don't have emissions; they don't realize the power plants have to spew out more crap in order to recharge their vehicles. Our utility could "help" if they shut down all 3 power plants and build 1 nuclear power plant who output would never be reached by the demand of the consumers.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE is that I would go with a GT. I came from a turbo 4 cylinder and the NA V8, to me, is just much more fun. I came from a FBO/E85 Civic Type R, picked up a base GT with the A10. I've enjoyed driving the GT much more because when I step on the gas, I get the power I want, no waiting for a turbo to spool. Not sure if you're a modder, or if the Mustang EcoBoost has the same issue the Type R did, but with a 93 tune, the Type R was already close to maxing out what it's fuel system, injectors, and turbo could handle, so with a couple bolt ons and a tune, you were looking at about a $10k price jump to continue making power. It won't run into some of the issues with higher power like the Type R such as wheel hop since it's RWD, but not sure if it hits it's limits as quickly, haven't looked into the ecoboost at all.

The downfall for me, gas. I bought this when gas was still fairly cheap (in the $2 range in MO) and now it's $5/gallon. I'm about to drive 2000 miles, round trip, and I had to factor about $600 just for gas. Driving in my Type R, I was able to get almost double the MPG, so if you do long distance driving a lot, it may 100% be worth going with the ecoboost to you.

If you don't mod, or if you drive long distances, I'd look more into the ecoboost since you enjoy it. Better MPG (which is a massive cost savings right now), lower priced most of the time when buying, still a great amount of power to the wheels, can be tuned for more pretty easily with no other mods. I'd personally still choose the GT, but that's because I like the feel of the V8, the sound, etc. and as of this moment, gas hasn't started hurting my bank, we'll see if that changes as it continues to go up. I just enjoy the feel, the roar, and the instant go on the NA V8 compared to my old turbo I4.
Gas prices aren't an issue for me though I'd prefer it being in the sub $3 range. The fact that you can get 25 mpg with a GT on the open highway is a testament to how they can get a powerful, heavy car to get decent fuel economy. If mpg is a major concern, then don't buy a Mustang and get a 4 cylinder hybrid that'll give you well over 40 mpg (though not as much fun to drive if you like power).

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
bingo. The examples I gave were to illustrate this fact. If any of us wanted the absolute fastest track thing we probably wouldn't be looking at mustangs at all.
True. In fact, if we're looking for the fastest track car, we wouldn't be buying these cars; we'd be getting a car that you have to trailer to the track. That's pure race cars. You don't drive those cars on the street.
Sponsored