Sponsored

Here's a new one; water pump

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
Tech working on my oil line recall noticed coolant in belly pan; topped it off. Warned me to watch it.

Fast forward a month, take the car in to see the coolant level is low. Phone call back.... cracked water pump. No pics because I'm far from the garage but I don't think I've read about this one yet...
Sponsored

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Tech working on my oil line recall noticed coolant in belly pan; topped it off. Warned me to watch it.

Fast forward a month, take the car in to see the coolant level is low. Phone call back.... cracked water pump. No pics because I'm far from the garage but I don't think I've read about this one yet...
At least the tech was good and noticed. Sometimes you have to wonder about some of them.

OP
OP
Honus

Honus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT350 Tech
Yeah I can't be too mad about it - I remember reading about he issues some people had with lower radiator hose so I assumed that was it.

Just want to make it known that this may be worth looking at for some of you. `

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
I know this thread is old, but today I had a water pump failure on the interstate. When I checked it out the pulley and the shaft were completely sheared and just hanging there, belt gone, coolant everywhere. Sounds similar

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
In my 27 years of being a mechanic I’ve yet to see a sheared water pump.
A leaking one yes.
A bad bearing yes.
A loose pulley from a bad bearing yes.
But one hanging there? Come on.

Sponsored

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
In my 27 years of being a mechanic I’ve yet to see a sheared water pump.
A leaking one yes.
A bad bearing yes.
A loose pulley from a bad bearing yes.
But one hanging there? Come on.

Sorry to not have video, but the pulley wasn't a little loose, it would move forwards and backwards and side to side a full inch in any direction. Maybe a bad bearing, I haven't pulled it apart as it is a warranty issue and I worry about any other damage, so I want them to do the tear down and diagnosis.

I have read of these water pump housings cracking, so perhaps the housing broke and not the shaft.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Sorry to not have video, but the pulley wasn't a little loose, it would move forwards and backwards and side to side a full inch in any direction. Maybe a bad bearing, I haven't pulled it apart as it is a warranty issue and I worry about any other damage, so I want them to do the tear down and diagnosis.

I have read of these water pump housings cracking, so perhaps the housing broke and not the shaft.
This is the first I’ve heard of a water pump cracking.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know this thread is old, but today I had a water pump failure on the interstate. When I checked it out the pulley and the shaft were completely sheared and just hanging there, belt gone, coolant everywhere. Sounds similar
Thanks for posting about your experience. Please let us know if you get any more info from the dealer after they replace the part.

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
Replaced under warranty with both belts, a tensioner, all the coolant (obviously) and most importantly under warranty. I posted pics in another thread, the impeller and the bearings were simply destroyed. They did get the rest of the impleller out of the cooling system but i didn't get a picture. Communication was fair, but I asked and was assured they would have one of the detail guys give it a quick rinse, but they didn't even do that. Overall Beaman Ford in Dickson Tennessee gave me good and proper service. Nothing more, nothing less.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/serpentine-belt-failure.104623/#post-2488157

Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Replaced under warranty with both belts, a tensioner, all the coolant (obviously) and most importantly under warranty. I posted pics in another thread, the impeller and the bearings were simply destroyed. They did get the rest of the impleller out of the cooling system but i didn't get a picture. Communication was fair, but I asked and was assured they would have one of the detail guys give it a quick rinse, but they didn't even do that. Overall Beaman Ford in Dickson Tennessee gave me good and proper service. Nothing more, nothing less.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/serpentine-belt-failure.104623/#post-2488157
What model of mustang is this?
What engine?
How many miles?

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
2015 GT PP 50K unmodified, never tracked, all maintenance done early cruising down the interstate at light throttle

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
2015 GT PP 50K unmodified, never tracked, all maintenance done early cruising down the interstate at light throttle
That’s what I thought.
Why did you post this in the GT350 forum? I mention that no records are reported of a voodoo having a failed water pump.
It’s not uncommon for a water pump to fail with 50k miles. I replace tons of them on all makes. Sometimes with less than 50k miles.

Jeff73Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT PP
Sorry, I was looking for water pump failures and din't even notice that it was a GT 350 forum when I added my post. Does the GT 350 use a different water pump?

As to water pump failures. . . failure at 50K doesn't so much surprise me as much as catastrophic failure does. I run with my gauges all on and I watch them. Cylinder head temperature was 205, then the pump let go and it stared climbing instantly. I pulled over right away. Until then I had never had a drop of coolant below my car at home, nor had I ever seem any sign of leakage.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Sorry, I was looking for water pump failures and din't even notice that it was a GT 350 forum when I added my post. Does the GT 350 use a different water pump?

As to water pump failures. . . failure at 50K doesn't so much surprise me as much as catastrophic failure does. I run with my gauges all on and I watch them. Cylinder head temperature was 205, then the pump let go and it stared climbing instantly. I pulled over right away. Until then I had never had a drop of coolant below my car at home, nor had I ever seem any sign of leakage.
It’s all good. Just wanted to be clear on what engine were talking here.
What mods do you have done?
Sponsored