Sponsored

Help with creaking noise

pbsadtler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Hello all, I’ve recently started to hear this creaking noise on my 2016 Mustang GT w/ PP. seems to happen on take offs (like a stop sign) and directional changes (like I stop, then start to reverse). Entire car is stock except a Ford Racing catback. I took it to the dealer last week and the tech was able to replicate it but not find the cause. It’s driving me nuts - supposed to be a performance car and it sounds like an old beater instead. I’ve attached a YouTube link - you’ll have to turn your speakers up to hear the noise, but it starts right at the beginning of the video. Any and all suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Edit: I should also mention that I have searched the forums and found a similar noise, but the fix described in the thread (tightening a control arm bolt) did not solve my problem.

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Check the exhaust hangers and make sure the exhaust isn’t making contact with anything it shouldn’t be.

OP
OP

pbsadtler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Rear seat latches. A little grease or electric tape should quiet them down.
Is that where the back of the seats connect to the little “shelf” under the rear windscreen?

bloodocean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
Yep the metal brackets that become exposed when you drop the rear seat backs down. You’ll probably notice some shiny worn areas on them, that should be the creaky hotspot

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sounds like the exhaust hitting the underside of the car to me. Since that is the only mod done, it's the most likely culprit.

I doubt it's the seats. But the easy way to check is to fold the seats down and drive the car. I'm betting the sound will continue, and be louder with the seats folded down.

OP
OP

pbsadtler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Sounds like the exhaust hitting the underside of the car to me. Since that is the only mod done, it's the most likely culprit.

I doubt it's the seats. But the easy way to check is to fold the seats down and drive the car. I'm betting the sound will continue, and be louder with the seats folded down.
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I appreciate everybody's ideas and will check both the seats and the exhaust hangers today. Here's a second video in case this helps confirm or reject what has been suggested so far. The cell phone picks up every tiny little noise, so a quick narration: after I turn the camera around towards the back seats, you can hear a click from the reverse lockout as I put the car in reverse (this is normal), then you'll hear the creaking noise at about 5 or 6 seconds in.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. I appreciate everybody's ideas and will check both the seats and the exhaust hangers today. Here's a second video in case this helps confirm or reject what has been suggested so far. The cell phone picks up every tiny little noise, so a quick narration: after I turn the camera around towards the back seats, you can hear a click from the reverse lockout as I put the car in reverse (this is normal), then you'll hear the creaking noise at about 5 or 6 seconds in.

I'll bet that's the exhaust. It's hitting the underside of the car. It happens when you apply throttle.

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I had a similar sound on a jeep and it was a loose heat shield above the muffler... which leads me to believe your issue is the exhaust or some impacted flashing underneath the car. You hear it when going over big bumps?

OP
OP

pbsadtler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had a similar sound on a jeep and it was a loose heat shield above the muffler... which leads me to believe your issue is the exhaust or some impacted flashing underneath the car. You hear it when going over big bumps?
I don't hear it over bumps. Only from a stop, either forward or reverse. Lasts about 2 seconds and then once the car is moving I don't hear it at all anymore.

I'll bet that's the exhaust. It's hitting the underside of the car. It happens when you apply throttle.
If it is the exhaust, what should I be looking for under the car?

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If it is the exhaust, what should I be looking for under the car?
That the exhaust hits the underside of the car.

I take it you didn't install the cat-backs. Take the car back to whomever did the work, and tell them the exhaust is hitting the underside of the car.

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
My exhaust was hitting my frame and it did not sound like that and it was very noticeable over bumps. To me, from your description of the issue, only when you go from stop it is something rolling around and when it hits the back or front it stops and its all good. I would go into the trunk and lift up the carpet where the spare tire is to see if something is rolling around in there. If not there, I would pop the rear seat up and check to make sure nothing is rolling around in there either. Im betting that is what it is. Check the trunk first though as that is the easiest to get to.

zahimrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zahi
Vehicle(s)
GT PP 2015
im no expert but I would check if the noise is coming from the torsen diff.

OP
OP

pbsadtler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
That the exhaust hits the underside of the car.

I take it you didn't install the cat-backs. Take the car back to whomever did the work, and tell them the exhaust is hitting the underside of the car.
I did do the install myself. Just having trouble visualizing what could be banging or rattling around. Could it be loose hangers? Loose clamps on the exhaust pipes themselves? What do you think it might be hitting? The driveshaft? Some part of the subframe?

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I did do the install myself. Just having trouble visualizing what could be banging or rattling around. Could it be loose hangers? Loose clamps on the exhaust pipes themselves? What do you think it might be hitting? The driveshaft? Some part of the subframe?
Most common area would be where the bends come close to the frame near the differential. If it looks close, or pushing up on the pipe in that are results in contact that could be your issue. If so, you could loosen the joints before and after that area and do a bit of rotating and slipping the joint in our out a bit more to obtain more clearance, being mindful of tip alignment of course.
Sponsored