Help me source a clutch kit

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
I've been getting my car track ready for what seems like an eternity now. I've finally gotten past the brake upgrades, the handling upgrades, etc. I still have a lot to do, but I'm definitely making progress on the overall car handling - it's getting better and better every time I do something.

So now I think my hydraulic throw-out bearing is starting to make noise. I'm hearing some chirping, and rattling especially when the car is cold on start-up.

There's over 60K miles on the car. It still shifts great w/ no brake fluid leaks though but I can certainly feel there's some age and wear going on based on how deep the petal goes to the floor on shifts, engagement in 1st gear, and of course the noise I'm now hearing.

So...if I'm going to drop the transmission anyway I might as well do some more:
* Put in a Short throw shifter
* hydraulic throw-out bearing
* New clutch and flywheel
* Rear main seal? (Ford)

I need to pick a clutch kit. I don't need a 1000 hp clutch, but I need one that will put up with a wide range of RPM shifting since it's being set up as a track car. I've been looking at short shifters and haven't made up my mind yet.

Suggestions?
Sponsored

LethalSteveG

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Saleen Yellow Label
I've been getting my car track ready for what seems like an eternity now. I've finally gotten past the brake upgrades, the handling upgrades, etc. I still have a lot to do, but I'm definitely making progress on the overall car handling - it's getting better and better every time I do something.

So now I think my hydraulic throw-out bearing is starting to make noise. I'm hearing some chirping, and rattling especially when the car is cold on start-up.

There's over 60K miles on the car. It still shifts great w/ no brake fluid leaks though but I can certainly feel there's some age and wear going on based on how deep the petal goes to the floor on shifts, engagement in 1st gear, and of course the noise I'm now hearing.

* Rear main seal? (Ford)

I need to pick a clutch kit. I don't need a 1000 hp clutch, but I need one that will put up with a wide range of RPM shifting since it's being set up as a track car. I've been looking at short shifters and haven't made up my mind yet.

Suggestions?
Everything you are looking to do is pretty accurate on what to change when doing a clutch. With tracking too, it's wicked important to get it all setup correctly. Now based off your picture, it looks like you have a 15-17 model GT? Just want to verify. because the shifter portion and clutch would be different.

So with that said, I recommend looking at the Vengeance Stage 2 Clutch. This semi metalic disc is great for street and track use. They are rated to about 850trq so it will be more than enough for what you are looking to do. The twin disc will allow for a nicer pedal feel too and easier to slip if you need. With the matching lightweight billet flywheel, you won't have to worry about warping either. This is the clutch I'm mentioning about:
Vengeance Stage 2 Clutch S197/S550 Ceramic Twin Disc (2011 - 2017 Ford Mustang 5.0) - DM2-07-04

Now if you want something easier on the wallet but still performs well for a twin disc, the 550trq, version which is the Stage 1 will be just that. Same benefits as the 2, just less power handling.
Vengeance Stage 1 Clutch S197/S550 Organic Twin Disc (2011 - 2017 Ford Mustang 5.0) - DM1-07-04

With road racing (which it seems you are seeing this up for) Vengeance has been doing it for a long time. As well as drifting and drag racing but their products have been awesome to see in action the past few years. All of Vengeance clutches are rebuildable too if needed.

Another brand I have been happy with over the years is McLeod and the twin disc RXT model. It will be over kill on hp ratings but it will feel awesome and handle the abuse. like Vengeance, very easy to slip and enjoyable to drive too
Mcleod 6435825M RXT Twin Disc Clutch Power Pack with Billet Steel Flywheel - 23 Spline (2011-2017 Mustang GT / 2012-2013 Boss 302)
_

With the slave... 100% alway replace them when you are pulling the clutch. OEM is always best too. Jut make sure you bench bleed it when it's installed so you don't have to worry about being locked out of gear.
Ford 2011-2017 Mustang 5.0L OEM Slave Cylinder

As far as the rear main seal, I wouldn't worry about that unless you were diving into the motor.

Now with the shifter, The Race Spec from MGW is what I would recommend. The shorter throw will help with less time inbetween shifts and losing RPMs. This matched with any of the clutches above is going to feel awesome in the turns.
https://www.lethalperformance.com/mgw-2015-2019-mustang-race-spec-short-throw-shifter.html

Remember too you will need to do a crank relearn with your tuning device once this is all done.

I hope this information helps you and please shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
For your use at basically stock power level, keep it simple and easy on the wallet with a single disc. No need to buy way more clutch than you need. The Exedy Mach 500 seems popular here with great feedback. I have no personal experience with it, but if I was in your shoes it's what I'd buy.

No need for a new flywheel, just get your stock one resurfaced and you're good to go. The kit comes with a new slave and pilot bearing. Do some searching and you'll see it has a good reputation.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/e...ulic-slave-cylinder-2011-2018-mustang-gt.html

OP
OP
BluePonyGT

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Wow thank you both! I have a lot of reading to do, and a budget to put together. I did spend some time looking at McLeod clutches a little over a year ago, but the HP ratings are through the ceiling. Looked like they were overkill, but they're really nice. I haven't looked at the others, so I'll do that. If the particular kit simply needs a refinished flywheel then so be it, but I'm not concerned with replacing it either depending on the kit I settle on.

This is actually the part I have the most fun with: doing the research. Granted watching the boxes show up is fun, but on a serious note I have to watch my wallet too. If it's too much I may have to wait until next year to commit to an upgrade.

Oh and yes, this car started life as a '17 GT Premium.

LethalSteveG

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Saleen Yellow Label
Wow thank you both! I have a lot of reading to do, and a budget to put together. I did spend some time looking at McLeod clutches a little over a year ago, but the HP ratings are through the ceiling. Looked like they were overkill, but they're really nice. I haven't looked at the others, so I'll do that. If the particular kit simply needs a refinished flywheel then so be it, but I'm not concerned with replacing it either depending on the kit I settle on.

This is actually the part I have the most fun with: doing the research. Granted watching the boxes show up is fun, but on a serious note I have to watch my wallet too. If it's too much I may have to wait until next year to commit to an upgrade.

Oh and yes, this car started life as a '17 GT Premium.

So with swapping clutches, it's always better to get a matching flywheel as they are balanced together which helps with vibration or any unwanted chatter. On twin disc, this is a must. Why most are sold together new.

Now with a single disc, you can get some great results. The Exedy mentioned above is a good 500trq rated single disc which is pretty stiff though. A lot of higher rated single disc turn into an on/off style pedal. Some don't mind it but it is going to be a workout. And after a long session, it can get tiresome. A puck style IMO would be best for that though as it is easier to slip if you need but it is the same thingl on/off. If you. Also too, many can resurface their flywheels and have had pretty good luck with it but with the heat it's going to see on a stiff clutch in the turns, you can run the risk of the disc actually welding itself to the stock one from the heat (this has happened to me) Since then, swapping to a billet or light weight steel, it is less prone to happen. It can but you will see heat marks from glazing first.

For a single disc option, here are the ones I recommend;

Lethal Street Warrior with the Flywheel. This is one we worked with McLeod on and very proud of it. It uses a kevlar based pad on the disc which once broken in properly, is very easy to drive on the street and at the tracks. It as well is good to about 500hp or so. With the kevlar, she will do well.
Lethal Performance 10111 Street Warrior Clutch and Lightened Steel Flywheel Combo Kit - 23 Spline (2011-2017 5.0L Mustang GT / 2012-2013 Boss 302)

Ram Clutches have been great to me over the years with single disc system with older Mustangs. This version, the HD is their latest design and have been holding up well. I don't' see many road racing them them but for street and drag racing, they have held decently. This is good to about 500hp
Ram 98955HD 5.0L Mustang Powergrip HD Clutch Kit (2011-2017 Mustang GT / 2012-2013 Boss 302)

The Exedy Mach 500 is a great step up from the stock setup. Exedy which has been around a long time with road racing, drifting, and drag racing really put together a well all around single disc which is good to max 500. As I said before though, this is either all or nothing on the pedal engagement. The do well with heat but not for a long period of time.
Exedy 07807CSC Stage 1 Mach 500 Clutch Kit with Hydraulic Slave Cylinder (2011-2017 Mustang GT)

Spec Stage 2, is another great option for the street. It's going to feel almost like stock with the pedal but can take some abuse. Not the friendliest with slipping but once it graps, it works.
Spec 2011-2017 Mustang 5.0L Stage 2 Clutch Kit

Hope this information helps you as well. Shoot me a PM if you have any other questions.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

* Rear main seal? (Ford)
I replaced my rear main seal on my car when I swapped over to the MMR billet rear plate, gasket , trigger wheel and sensor. You can order just the plate and gasket. I can tell you that the MMR plate and gasket are far better quality than the factory plate and gasket.

6637E9A3-F710-43D8-A5D9-5D638D95A549.jpeg
BF940874-2C66-4CCD-8791-459BF6C2FDE0.jpeg
803F41E9-506C-4489-97CB-7B9A1E1B1748.jpeg
73926F87-822A-4948-B22A-F78D8D02E09D.jpeg
Sponsored