Sponsored

HELP! - Dash cluster, radio, and keys not working.

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I was installing some Autometer gauges into the middle of my performance pack dashboard. I thought I would piggyback off of the power of the original four-pronged connecter for the stock performance pack gauges. It went fine. However, I went to put the dashboard back in and I am 99% sure the wire shorted out on each other (touched the metal backing of the gauges) and now my dash cluster, radio, and remote signal receiver is not working. Car starts up and runs fine.

Things I have done:
1. Checked all fuses. fuses are good.
2. Replaced my digital dashboard with analog original dashboard. Both "dead."
3. replaced Sync 3 radio with original 4" inch radio. Both "dead."

I either burnt out a certain control module or I burnt up the wiring harness for the dashboard. I am not scared to fix it. The car still somehow drives perfectly fine. But I am at a loss of where to start looking.

I would love to hear thoughts on this.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
I also am not leaning towards burning up the wiring harness, because they have fuses for that very reason.

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
If anyone would know, could it possibly be a relay?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Have you checked for codes yet? You'll probably need something more than a basic reader, one that can access all the modules.

Failing that grab a multi meter and wiring diagram and start backtracking looking for power.

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked for codes yet? You'll probably need something more than a basic reader, one that can access all the modules.

Failing that grab a multi meter and wiring diagram and start backtracking looking for power.
Appreciate that man,
Got forscan and checked the codes this morning. Looks like it can’t read the APIM, BCM1&2 and the PCM even though it starts and runs fine. My dad told me exactly what you said lol so I’m on the motorcraft website downloading all of the electrical diagrams now.

any other tips?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Alright just got the diagrams up and I crossed the two blue wires on that four-pin connector with the two white wires on the same four pin connector.

the white wires go to the Powertrain Control Module
the blue wires go to the Body Control Module

It seems like I corrupted my car's powertrain control module and need to get it flashed.

Anyone think I should bring it to the dealer for this?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Nothing specific. I'd look for what all those modules have in common and maybe start there. I don't know enough about how they all work together to be more help than that.
Good luck, electrical problems can be a real biotch to find.

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
All of the modules have the Body Control Module in common. I have reduced to it is either burnt out or needs to be reflashed/reprogrammed. Since I did not cross to power cables but instead crossed two data cables, I believe I corrupted to Body Control Module. The Powertrain Control Module would not let me drive the car if that was corrupted and these tiny, 24-gauge wires for data collection carry hardly any current. The radio is back on after a hard reset so I am definitely now leaning towards having to get the Body Control Module fixed.

Sucks, will probably cost $1k all said and done but is a much better alternative to losing my car.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
BCM replacement time.

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
BCM replacement time.
Yupppp lol I just subscribed to that motorcraft service for the diagrams and troubleshooting diagnostics. Literally all of them pointed to the BCM. Car runs operates normals so not PCM.

rookie fuck up but I’ll have to see what ford can do for me

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Yupppp lol I just subscribed to that motorcraft service for the diagrams and troubleshooting diagnostics. Literally all of them pointed to the BCM. Car runs operates normals so not PCM.

rookie fuck up but I’ll have to see what ford can do for me
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while and then reconnecting it? I made the same mistake you did but I was installing an aftermarket radio and I lost radio, information screen on the dash and the screen under the radio. I tried everything until someone said to disconnect the battery and then reconnecting it after 1 hour and everything worked again.

OP
OP

Jroy333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while and then reconnecting it? I made the same mistake you did but I was installing an aftermarket radio and I lost radio, information screen on the dash and the screen under the radio. I tried everything until someone said to disconnect the battery and then reconnecting it after 1 hour and everything worked again.
Unfortunately I have tried this. What you’re talking about is essentially a hard reset. Another way to do this is to drain the capacitance out of the computers by taking jumper cables and grounding out the negative on the car while the positive is off. I will retry what you are talking about but it’s pointing me towards the Body control module. Still it isn’t as bad as a pill to swallow as let’s say I completely destroyed the wiring harness, thank Christ.
Sponsored