Sponsored

Help: Calling All owners with Headers installed

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Hi All,

My current car is fitted with Pypes Longtube Headers and Eibach Sportline Springs. Before I had the headers installed I never experienced any scraping under the car. After having the Pypes installed, they've been scraping a lot in garages, driveways, and uneven bumpy roads. Its gotten to the point where my headers are leaking in like 3 different places on the welds and I need to take it to the shop to see what they can do. Its going to come down to hopefully having them repaired, or completely replaced, or putting the stock exhaust manifold on.

Now I know the Eibachs are a very low spring (1.5 inch Drop) but has anyone else had a similar experience scraping their aftermarket headers? My plan is to ditch the sportlines (for a # of reasons I see on this site) for a less aggressive drop. But do I need to go back to stock height? I'm wondering if I could get away with a 1 to .5 inch drop.

Also are some headers known to hang lower to the ground than others? Just looking for some general help here thanks!
Sponsored

AlphaCoyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/ PP, 2018 Honda Accord 1.5 Sport
I have Eibach Pro-Kit which is only about a 1 inch drop on all corners and I have Texas Speed Headers and I do not scrape. I'm always very careful when going over speed bumps. The only place i do scrape is on my front splitter when transitioning from a flat to angled surface or vice versa.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have BBK's 7 7/8 headers with Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs and I have also scrape. Not that I scraped a lot just a couple times, just slow roll over driveways and such. they are really close to the ground so I feel your pain. If your hitting them that hard I would be more worried about messing up the header bolts, welds, or maybe even the head itself. how far do they hang down past the under body, for reference mine are only about 1/2 maybe 3/4 of an inch below.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
No scraping here. BMR SP763 springs. It's not worth the headache to drop very low as I've done that in the past and won't do it again. Long tube headers definitely sit pretty low.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Have you considered coilovers? I’m not exactly sure how much drop I’m running but the ARH headers have never drug. I’ve got a full ARH system and it’s actually lower back by the diff. The coilovers would allow you some safety margin for adjustment

Sponsored

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
10C3BEC3-2E0D-4139-86A5-7B24AC8D376E.jpeg
Probably an 1 to 1 1/4 drop in the front. Pic for reference
FE9D693D-0617-4C9D-974E-259398EF83E5.jpeg

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I’m lowered an inch on Steeda sport linears. Just got my TSP longtubes in last week. They aren’t even the lowest part of the car, the Steeda jacking rails look to sit fractionally lower than the collectors of the headers. I have scraped one of the jacking rails on a speed bump once, but only because of where they are positioned in the middle of the car. I plan to be extra cautious of the headers hanging down but I don’t think it’ll be much of an issue.

Concretebeatz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 Black
I'm on sportlines with Kooks catted headers / Varex axleback. No scraping.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I went conservative Ford performance. Only 1" drop and still quality ride. ARH 1 7/8 LTH no scrape.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
On my 2015, I had MBRP headers and full 3" back. Only lowred an inch but never had an issue.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
mustang law school enhanced.jpg

BMR SP080 springs. I never drag the headers, have rubbed the catback on high speed bumps/sharp angled roads before.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Eibach pro-kit, Kook's headers with cats, riding on 20" wheels. Never had an issue.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i have BMR sp080 all around and pypes LTH and i scrap every once in awhile on small crests and larger speed bumps i have bmr jacking rails that i think take most of the hit but the headers have def hit before. i just try to go over things slowly and at angle to prevent scraping but it def is not a regular occurrence.

OP
OP
Ronnoc

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have BBK's 7 7/8 headers with Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs and I have also scrape. Not that I scraped a lot just a couple times, just slow roll over driveways and such. they are really close to the ground so I feel your pain. If your hitting them that hard I would be more worried about messing up the header bolts, welds, or maybe even the head itself. how far do they hang down past the under body, for reference mine are only about 1/2 maybe 3/4 of an inch below.
Crossing my fingers it’s not that bad but totally could be...

OP
OP
Ronnoc

Ronnoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Have you considered coilovers? I’m not exactly sure how much drop I’m running but the ARH headers have never drug. I’ve got a full ARH system and it’s actually lower back by the diff. The coilovers would allow you some safety margin for adjustment
Coilovers are definitely a consideration. I see most coilovers have a minimum drop of 1 inch though. Price is also a factor. Deciding between a steeda spring and shock combo for the value or a nice coilover for twice the money
Sponsored