Sponsored

Height sensor Front control arm , what does it actually do ?

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Dark Matter Grey '23 GT Mustang , 1976 SS Torana
Got 23 GT and just having a poke around before fitting adj coilover set and noticed this sensor connected to front control arm . Can anyone tell me what its actual purpose is and whether lowering car is going to cause a problem . For a second i thought i might have had bonus magnaride but no wires coming from strut .

IMG20231102180349.jpg
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure that a Magneride car :like:

Check the rear arms for a matching sensor.

There are lots of other little clues - if you have a photo with a front wheel off so we can see the centre of the brake disk, post that too (mag ride doesn't have the big hub nut in the centre).

Check your window sticker for confirmation.

I believe there is a simple calibration procedure that's required after lowering a mag ride car.

WD :like:

OP
OP
Brisvegas

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure that a Magneride car :like:

Check the rear arms for a matching sensor.

There are lots of other little clues - if you have a photo with a front wheel off so we can see the centre of the brake disk, post that too (mag ride doesn't have the big hub nut in the centre).

Check your window sticker for confirmation.

I believe there is a simple calibration procedure that's required after lowering a mag ride car.

There are no wires coming from bottom of strut so i dont think its magneride , the height sensor ( whatever it is ) is only on left hand side on front , havent looked at rear yet . Seems a little strange .
IMG20231102185947.jpg

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I've just checked some photos of mine with the front wheels off - I have a sensor on each side.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've just seen your edit / the inclusion of a photo.

Unless something has changed since my 20, that looks like a mag ride front hub ?

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, MB A250 4Matic W177, Mazda MX-5 ND
It's a magneride car, that is a magneride hub. There is a wire coming out of the shock absorbers in the front and another from the ones in the back.

In the front the cable gets out from the bottom, in the rear from the top.

Just take a ride and change driving mode, you will notice if still quite a bit from Normal to Sport+

OP
OP
Brisvegas

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
It's a magneride car, that is a magneride hub. There is a wire coming out of the shock absorbers in the front and another from the ones in the back.

In the front the cable gets out from the bottom, in the rear from the top.

Just take a ride and change driving mode, you will notice if still quite a bit from Normal to Sport+
Luca there are no wires from shockabsorbers , it doesnt have magneride shockers , it seems i have a missmatch of parts fitted , will hit up the dealer about it and see if i can get answers . Photo here of shocker part number . It's a mystery to me , I wouldnt mind magneride but i didnt pay for it but it seems i did get some parts from system fitted when car was built . It's very odd
IMG20231102181730.jpg

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I bet you have mag ride simulators. Get a photo of your wheel well, behind the shocks. I can't recall exactly where the wiring is in the wheel well (despite having my wheels off a dozen times the last week). I'd bet the simulator is in there somewhere. Thats def a mag ride set up.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
That ride height sensor could be for headlight vertical aim, some countries require it with HID or LED light sources. It looks like OP is in Australia?
He's in Australia, but the guess is good. That's why his car have only one, he mentioned it only on one side.

The hub is still from a magneride car, as @WD Pro pointed out. The car is a 23 and probably they were emptying the buckets...

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That ride height sensor could be for headlight vertical aim, some countries require it with HID or LED light sources. It looks like OP is in Australia?
This is a good point, but it doesn't explain the use of a Mag ride hub (unless that's a change that later models got ?)

Edit : Luca beat me to it :like:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
This is a good point, but it doesn't explain the use of a Mag ride hub (unless that's a change that later models got ?)
Mine is a 22 with Magneride and I have that same hub.
IMG_0572.JPG

OP
OP
Brisvegas

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
That sounds feasible , thanks heaps will research that . cheers

Edit ... Just thinking about it now and my headlights do go through an adjustement when i turn it on at night , making lots of sense now . Well done Mike , kudos

John S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
Hubs and knuckles were upgraded around March 2021 and the new hubs are fastened with 14mm bolts instead of 12 mm bolts. Don't know if all models were updated but non-mag cars with Brembos are included.

OP
OP
Brisvegas

Brisvegas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
" We have since discovered since publishing this that it appears AT LEAST 2022 PP1 (Performance Pack Level 1 (Non Mag-Ride) Mustangs also come with the New Mach 1 HP Hubs and Knuckles "

Ok has just come to my attention that my 2023 GT is fitted with Mach1 stubs and Hubs , which is awesome . This explains the anomoly to others GT hubs . Less bump steer ( better Geometry ) larger bearings ( improved durability and stability ) and reduced unsprung weight . Win win , saves the $1000 upgrade . This should apply to all Aust GT's after a certain date as we have effectively most of the PP1 features

https://www.opmustang.com/blog/2015-2023-s550-2024-s650-hub-identifucation#/
Sponsored