Headrest tilted too far forward?

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
...Ideally, I believe the current position (all the way back) should really be its mid position. It could still ratchet forward, but also ratchet back for use with a helmet.

Someone should start a DIY thread on how to improve the situation.

OP, did you really disassemble the internal mechanism in such a way as to flip the headrest around, but maintain the original ratcheting function?
I agree, I think the back position should be a mid position. And no, I have not changed the internals, so it will not provide much protection in a collision from the rear. I want to figure out how to move the ratcheting assembly back and hoped someone had done it before. Evidently not.

In reply to other responses and the humorous photos and caricatures, look again at the passenger headrest I left in the original position for comparison's sake. The headrest is way in front of the seat back. If you sit with proper posture and settle into the seat with your shoulder blades resting back into the seat, there is no way your head will NOT be pressed against the headrest... unless your head is planted on your neck as far ahead of your body as the humorous caricatures you've posted are planted backwards.

I get the feeling that most of the replies might be coming from a generation that has spent its entire life slumping around with head drooped while staring down at a cellphone... if you sit up correctly and hold your head up properly this headrest will hit your head. If you can sit back in your seat without leaning your upper body just a little forward and taking your shoulder blades out away from the top of the seat, how is your head NOT against the headrest? I am flabbergasted how someone could put a helmet on at track day with the headrest on the seat.

Reclining the seat does nothing to the back/neck/head relative position, it only would force me to look down to see out the front but I would still be in the same exact neck incline position compared to my back. A lot of cars around here have drivers that recline way back like that, but those cars have spinners and dubs which I am not interested in putting on this one.

And my wife has a prior neck injury in her remote past that forces her to walk and sit with proper posture, not slumping down with head drooping. When she reads her cellphone she actually holds it up level with her head instead of down against her lap and staring down at it. That's actually the way it should be done but no one does that. I have a chiropractor friend that is looking forward to treating a whole generation when they get older because of that.

Taking some foam out may be a good alternative that will help. If anyone ever figures a real fix or starts a DIY thread to adjust the ratcheting angle of the headrests I'd love to hear about it. If not, I enjoyed giving many of you some entertainment. :)
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I did not find the caricatures funny, either, and I am with you, OP.

I think the ideal solution would be taking it apart and straightening the rods. But I'll bet those are tempered for strength, and it might be extremely hard to bend them. Plus they look chrome plated, and the plating would likely crack.

Also, when I flip mine around for track day (to clear the helmet), then the notches don't engage the pawls in the seat, so the headrest height can't be adjusted.

I found it hard to believe how Ford got this so wrong. Fortunately I am okay with the headrest all the way back during DD.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Reclining the seat does nothing to the back/neck/head relative position, it only would force me to look down to see out the front but I would still be in the same exact neck incline position compared to my back. A lot of cars around here have drivers that recline way back like that, but those cars have spinners and dubs which I am not interested in putting on this one.

)
I just checked mine, my head is nowhere near the headrest (when head rest is fully back) when sitting with good posture.

You need to adjust the position of the seat back - it may not affect back/neck/head relative position to each other but it certainly will affect the relative position of your head to the head rest.

If you have your backrest close perpendicular to the ground, then yes it will be very difficult to sit up straight without your head hitting the head rest. You do not have recline the seat back 'way' back, just a couple degrees.

Angle your seat back a bit more and make sure the overall seat position is such that you are not scrunched up against the wheel (which in your picture it looks like you would be - unless you just moved it forward for the picture) - this combined with the fact that the seat bottom naturally angles down (increasing this angle may help as well) into the seat back, your head and the upper part of your shoulders will have no choice but to naturally come forward a bit when sitting with good posture.

As someone else noted, I would really not drive with the headrest flipped around like that. You will be in a world of hurt should you get rear ended - or worse.

I'm sure you will get it. Finding a comfortable seat position can be trying.

imaginager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DHG 2019 Bullitt K3013
I get the feeling that most of the replies might be coming from a generation that has spent its entire life slumping around with head drooped while staring down at a cellphone... if you sit up correctly and hold your head up properly this headrest will hit your head.
I'm nearly 50 years old, avoid cell phones as much as my job permits, and my head does not hit the headrest. I also have it a few clicks forward. I believe newer auto seats are designed this way to prevent whiplash - your head has a shorter distance to travel rearward with the headrest closer. My wife's Subie Outback's are the same way. I've never had my GT on the track, so I don't know whether a helmet would work for me. But, I ride bikes, and have a number of helmets, and now I'm curious...

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
I found it hard to believe how Ford got this so wrong. Fortunately I am okay with the headrest all the way back during DD.
If it is such an issue why did they buy the car in the first place?

Wow, I am amazed at the tendency to declare Ford as being a failure when something doesn't fit, what three people. Get real, this car is still far and away the best vehicle most of us have ever owned. The OP seems to have needs that are not met by a standard seat and headrest, that isn't a fault of Ford, especially when the majority of the buyers have no issues with the headrests. The proper course of action would be for the OP to work with a local upholsterer and solve his and his spouse's issues.

And there is no place for ridicule of the OP.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
I believe newer auto seats are designed this way to prevent whiplash - your head has a shorter distance to travel rearward with the headrest closer.
Yep, was just watching a video review of the 2017 Audi S3 and the headrests hang forward in the exact same way.

Thanks to this thread, I will now forever be paying attention to how the headrest sits on a seat. :)

Foxtrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost
I'm wondering if my wife and I are simply too "unique" or if others suffer from this same frustration. With the headrest set in the most rearward tilt setting, it still props my head too far forward and after a short time my neck is hurting. And my wife has a physical condition that keeping proper posture with head erect helps alleviate some pain. Does anyone else feel like their head is pushed/tilted down forward too much?

My solution was to remove the headrests and reverse them, putting them in backwards... and my wife noted that it felt better with the headrests turned around.

...but the back of the headrest (which is now the front) has a built-in plastic coat hanger which is not too comfortable either when the back of my head rests against it. I did see a Fusion in a parking lot that looks like it uses the same headrest but without a coat hanger in the back and I am seriously considering looking into installing Fusion headrests in our Mustang and installing them backwards.

Obviously the best solution for us would be to figure out how to mod the headrests to tilt further back. Does anyone know if there is a way to do that?

Has anyone else thought about this? Or are we the only ones that wish the headrests could be tilted further back?
I felt the same way. Also had a neck injury as a kid which gives me headaches at times so I keep the seat lowered because of it

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Of course reclining helps a lot. When your recline, your upper body and spine curvature changes.
Also try adjusting lumbar too. Too much lumbar can cause your upper back to tilt back and putting your neck in a very weird position.
Experiment all kinds of positions and don't be afraid of trying new things. That sounds so dirty in my head lol.:headbonk:

Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
If it is such an issue why did they buy the car in the first place?

Wow, I am amazed at the tendency to declare Ford as being a failure when something doesn't fit, what three people. Get real, this car is still far and away the best vehicle most of us have ever owned. The OP seems to have needs that are not met by a standard seat and headrest, that isn't a fault of Ford, especially when the majority of the buyers have no issues with the headrests. The proper course of action would be for the OP to work with a local upholsterer and solve his and his spouse's issues.

And there is no place for ridicule of the OP.
Welcome to the internet. Where EVERYTHING is a big deal!

Nitro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
I do have to agree that when I have my helmet on for track days and autocross that I have to lean my seat back further than I want to because of the head restraint. But for everyday driving it just isn't an issue at all.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
It's pretty hard to believe that there's something "wrong" with the OP...but there is possibly something unique about how the seat is adjusted.

Some have suggested reclining the seat...IIRC both the seat pan and the seat back can be adjusted, correct? Just a guess but is he seat pan tilted forward at all? If so, the seatback may end up a little too far forward as well (to be in correct alignment with the seat pan), and when you look through the windshield, you are required to look "up" ever so slightly which pushes your head into the headrest. It wouldn't take much.

As for bending the headrest posts...sheesh. This may be very difficult and it may fatigue the metal which could be bad.

Keep us posted.

I like the idea of getting a set of the OEM Recaros and calling it a day. :D