Headers and No Tune….Safe?

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
I’m installing Texas Speed headers next weekend at friends shop where I have access to a lift. Is it safe to drive the car 20 miles afterwards without a tune. The TS headers delete the rear O2 sensor I think. So I’ll be cat‘less and rear O2 sensor’less on a JLT intake tune. Will I hurt anything?
Sponsored

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I ran my 2016 GT with longtubes and an Airaid CAI for a couple months before getting a tuner for it. No problems other than a bad motor mount. So if you have a few miles, I had 70k, I would look at replacing the mounts while your there. You have to undue them anyways.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
No need to retune for LT's. It's tuner greed. Nothing changes but maybe a touch more airflow. MAF flow/upstream O2's allow the PCM to compensate if needed.

OP
OP
Niteghost

Niteghost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550 GT
I ran my 2016 GT with longtubes and an Airaid CAI for a couple months before getting a tuner for it. No problems other than a bad motor mount. So if you have a few miles, I had 70k, I would look at replacing the mounts while your there. You have to undue them anyways.
10-4 i'll deffiently look at doing that. I only got 22K miles though.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No need to retune for LT's. It's tuner greed. Nothing changes but maybe a touch more airflow. MAF flow/upstream O2's allow the PCM to compensate if needed.
^^^^ That is so true. I laugh every time I see a thread where someone was told they needed (or was talked/pressured into) a tune just to add LT's, or XYZ aftermarket headers.... if ya like tossing your $$$ in the trash, I guess a "tune" is like the newest pharmaceutical in the Modern Muscle Car world...

Sponsored

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
As it has already been stated, the PCM will adjust to the increased airflow. The only place a tune for headers may help is with slightly increased timing since more scavenging reduces in-cylinder temps.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I followed Cory's advice several months back. I put Corsa LT's with no cats on my car. I beat on it pretty much every day, probably have 6 or 7 thousand miles on it and other than a check engine light on for not having cats, it's been fine.

Bluedream

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT DIB premium pp, 2017 Focus RS
I was advised by someone from Lund that a tune is not necessary if you are adding just LTH. But you may get the engine code for the cats.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Never asked him any serious questions.. but @Cory S practically built my car by just following his advice for others :)
I have spoken several times with Cory and have actually bought stuff from him. He has a very good grasp on this platform, so when he says something, at this point, I take it as iron-clad. That is my level of trust in the information he provides.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have spoken several times with Cory and have actually bought stuff from him. He has a very good grasp on this platform, so when he says something, at this point, I take it as iron-clad. That is my level of trust in the information he provides.
Awwww...... I try. :)

heart.jpg
Sponsored