Header install 1 3/4" vs 1 7/8"

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
For those who've had experience installing both 1 3/4" and 1 7/8", is there a difference with the install?

Is it easier to retain the factory header studs with 1 3/4"? Any other advantages of the smaller pipes or is it negligible?

Staying N/A and think 1 3/4" will be fine for my purposes and keen to do it myself with help and a hoist.

Cheers,
Sponsored

Brmoorejr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premuim
I used all factory studs except 1 or 2
I used Kooks 1 7/8 headers

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
u can use pypes stepped headers and get best of both for less money

Sponsored

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Guys OP is in Australia. LHD headers don't work on RHD, so he can't use Pypes stepped headers or anything that isn't also made in RHD version (Kooks & ARH are the only US options I believe)

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just to interject something, my mechanic was saying headers are even less of a gain for the 2018's as the shape of the pipes is better than on the 2015-17's. Not to say there isn't gain, just not as much.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Just to interject something, my mechanic was saying headers are even less of a gain for the 2018's as the shape of the pipes is better than on the 2015-17's. Not to say there isn't gain, just not as much.
Except we still get the botched headers on RHD cars similar to the RHD 15-17s so changing the headers will give RHD additional benefit compared to the LHD cars

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
All they did differently is right before the cat it doesn't choke into a 2" piece. I will look again later tonight but we've compared the two headers next to each other and there wasn't much difference between the two except one spot doesn't get choked anymore

OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Thanks all.

I'm thinking retaining the factory studs should be one of the goals of a good install and this looks achievable. Why doesn't everyone use the factory studs?

Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
on my install if u didn't know a stud wouldn't fit you had to pull everything back off to get it in, because the header tube was in the way, wasn't worth the effort,,,, better instructions yeah, u could use studs all the way I ended up using one or two bolts but there again every style header will be different

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all.

I'm thinking retaining the factory studs should be one of the goals of a good install and this looks achievable. Why doesn't everyone use the factory studs?
On my RHD Pacemaker headers, the front stud per bank was retained. This is purely to give you something to start with (header hole is slotted to allow it to slide under the nut)
There just isn’t enough room with these particular headers to be able to get the header “out and over” the stud so to speak. In fact, you’re flat out just trying to get the headers in there in the first place.
Drivers side is by far harder than passengers side. Steering column, starter motor and AC being the culprits.
LHD cars may face different issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OzS550

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
On my RHD Pacemaker headers, the front stud per bank was retained. This is purely to give you something to start with (header hole is slotted to allow it to slide under the nut)
There just isn’t enough room with these particular headers to be able to get the header “out and over” the stud so to speak. In fact, you’re flat out just trying to get the headers in their in the first place.
Drivers side is by far harder than passengers side. Steering column, starter motor and AC being the culprits.
LHD cars may face different issues.
Thanks Burkey, I'm thinking of using the 1 3/4" Pacemaker. I'm guessing you used 1 7/8" for your blown application. Do you think the 3mm smaller diameter pipe makes any difference to the install or general clearance? (I also need your advice on tunes. You've probably noticed me procrastinating over this for the past year or more!)

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Burkey, I'm thinking of using the 1 3/4" Pacemaker. I'm guessing you used 1 7/8" for your blown application. Do you think the 3mm smaller diameter pipe makes any difference to the install or general clearance? (I also need your advice on tunes. You've probably noticed me procrastinating over this for the past year or more!)
Honestly, I don’t think the size difference will make any change to the difficulty level.
I’ve seen sheets suggesting that the 1 3/4” are slightly better, particularly at the bottom end for NA applications but as far as Pacemaker are concerned, there’s no data available.
If there’s even the most remote chance that you’ll go FI, I’d just go with the bigger ones.
If you go with an e85 tune, I don’t think you’ll be left wanting for more bottom end pull. The difference is vast.
Sponsored