Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
I noticed I am down to minimum from max but this has been over the course of ownership since I got it new. Not sure if I should be concerned being a closed system.
Sponsored

TtGjac0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Update: just got a call from dealer, it was not just the head gasket and Ford approved for a new long block. My car has always been stock and never tuned, thank God for warranty......

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Update: just got a call from dealer, it was not just the head gasket and Ford approved for a new long block. My car has always been stock and never tuned, thank God for warranty......
But, but this only happens to modified people. Jokes aside you made the right decision congrats. What was wrong with the block, walls, cracked? BTW trading for another Ford is a bad idea if you don't want problems have you seen the issues forum section? Endless threads of AC problems, drive line issues, transmission issues, Coyotes issues\failures and ticks and people going through lemon laws. Use good judgement again lol.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
So, have you taken the poll and told us which cylinder the problem originated in? :cwl:

TtGjac0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
So, have you taken the poll and told us which cylinder the problem originated in? :cwl:
Ya but it was weird when I talk to the advisor because the main one I was working with is on vacation. But basically they were saying cylinders 2&3.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
I have several connections at Ford, in both Dearborn and Cleveland. It's nothing that's been published yet, but I'm sure it will as some point soon. If I could send some pics without getting anyone in trouble, I would but I don't want to risk someone's job for that. I will say that the rods are going to be different, the oiling system, cylinder head, and some other minor changes, like the intake manifold.
this was January, any update? frankly trying to search maverick and ford doesnt work too well.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
this was January, any update? frankly trying to search maverick and ford doesnt work too well.
Frankly, I wouldn't be suprised if many ecobooms were caused by the LPFS failure, combined with aggressive/spirited driving...from my own experience, you can drive quite a while on failed LPFS sensor without the PCM throwing a code!

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
I always love it when people start trash talking a manufacturer for any problems. My opinion is choose a dealer with a higher regarded service department if you want a stress free ownership. Cars are being pushed for more performance and better economy. Technology is relying on electronics and sensors so much that there is little margin for error. Even the best quality control is not perfect. If you are one of the unfortunate few that get bit, it sucks. It is why extended warranty is a big issue nowadays.

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
When did Ford become aware of the sensor issue ..?
Ford has not acknowledged any issues with the sensor everyone is replacing. As far as I know, Ford is still installing the same sensor in the 2018-2019 models it was using for the 2015s. As far as I know no one actually fully understand the mechanism by which these failed/malfunctioning sensors can cause engine damage. The original claim comes from a tuning vendor whose customers have experienced a high number of engine failures.

Some of us (in the minority) recommend leaving well enough alone unless you actually have a problem, especially if your car is still under warranty. Those recommending replacement say a failed sensor can lead to an engine failure, and since it's an inexpensive part and an easy job replacement is cheap "insurance."

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Ford has not acknowledged any issues with the sensor everyone is replacing. As far as I know, Ford is still installing the same sensor in the 2018-2019 models it was using for the 2015s. As far as I know no one actually fully understand the mechanism by which these failed/malfunctioning sensors can cause engine damage. The original claim comes from a tuning vendor whose customers have experienced a high number of engine failures.

Some of us (in the minority) recommend leaving well enough alone unless you actually have a problem, especially if your car is still under warranty. Those recommending replacement say a failed sensor can lead to an engine failure, and since it's an inexpensive part and an easy job replacement is cheap "insurance."
Agree with above 100% as not only fact about that sensor and NO official statement from Ford - but that folks are just hog wild replacing it due to a vendor’s FB statement.

Now show me how many stock engines factually failed because of and only because of that single fuel sensor part failure....

Everyone is neglecting the fact that the “sensor issue” was found to be an issue on the Tuned vehicles... which to me seems like it’s being used as an “out” so the tuner is not held responsible for the engine failure.

There’s folks replacing that sensor who never once even tested the original to see if it was malfunctioning OR the culprit to their specific drivability issues - but merely because “the sky is falling”...

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
for what its worth,, CJ Pony references the possible issue with the sensor as well..

https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-lo...r-motorcraft-ecoboost-2015-2019/p/BU5Z9F972B/
I love that CJ's is selling this part to replace a "faulty" Ford OE part, yet in it's marketing material it claims this replacement part:

Meets strict Ford OE quality, performance and durability
I read through this page months ago when this issue was first bandied about here at Mustang6g. I didn't read anything there that explains the mechanism whereby a faulty sensor can cause catastrophic engine failure. Further, I lost confidence in the expertise of whoever wrote this when I read this line:

The fuel rail is where intake air and fuel are combined prior to being injected into your pony’s engine's cylinders.
This is a direct-injected engine. The fuel and air mixes in the cylinder, not in the fuel rail.

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)

And yet, if you walk into your Ford dealer, and request that part at the parts counter, you get the revised part. Imagine that :wink: I experienced this failure, on the stock tune. The dealer I took it do couldn't diagnose the problem ,since I caught it before the PCM threw any codes (they were more concerned with being able to bill Ford for warranty work...). They changed my plugs, and that did nothing (the PCM did note misfires across all cylinders...). I changed it, and it solved everything!
Sponsored