Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
And yet, if you walk into your Ford dealer, and request that part at the parts counter, you get the revised part. Imagine that :wink: I experienced this failure, on the stock tune. The dealer I took it do couldn't diagnose the problem ,since I caught it before the PCM threw any codes (they were more concerned with being able to bill Ford for warranty work...). They changed my plugs, and that did nothing (the PCM did note misfires across all cylinders...). I changed it, and it solved everything!
I'm glad you fixed your problem, but there are two things to note: 1) You didn't experience a catastrophic engine failure, and 2) There is no way to know if replacing the sensor is what actually "fixed" your poorly running engine. You may have just had a batch of bad gas. Nor do you have evidence to suggest if you hadn't changed this sensor that you WOULD have experienced a catastrophic engine failure.

I'm not saying none of the OE sensors are faulty; there is a certain failure rate for ANY manufactured part. Indeed, the part you installed may be less reliable than the one that you believe failed; you have no way of knowing.

The moment I see verifiable evidence the OE part installed at the factory has a higher failure rate than the replacement part AND that a bad sensor will cause a catastrophic engine failure I'll be in the shop replacing mine. Until then I still recommend anyone wishing to preserve their warranty leave well enough alone until you have some indication of a problem.
Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
I'm glad you fixed your problem, but there are two things to note: 1) You didn't experience a catastrophic engine failure, and 2) There is no way to know if replacing the sensor is what actually "fixed" your poorly running engine. You may have just had a batch of bad gas. Nor do you have evidence to suggest if you hadn't changed this sensor that you WOULD have experienced a catastrophic engine failure.

I'm not saying none of the OE sensors are faulty; there is a certain failure rate for ANY manufactured part. Indeed, the part you installed may be less reliable than the one that you believe failed; you have no way of knowing.

The moment I see verifiable evidence the OE part installed at the factory has a higher failure rate than the replacement part AND that a bad sensor will cause a catastrophic engine failure I'll be in the shop replacing mine. Until then I still recommend anyone wishing to preserve their warranty leave well enough alone until you have some indication of a problem.
Most assuredly not a bad batch of gas. When I changed the sensor out, the results were immediate.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Did you just replace it with OEM from Dealer..?
Yeah, I did...I ordered the part from the parts counter, and it turns out that there's two parts with the same part number! (the parts counter guy told me Ford numbers parts based on function...). So, when my order came in, it was the HPFS, not the LPFS (!). Fortunately, they happened to have a spare LPFS in stock. And it was the revised part :rockon:

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
This is a very nice video explaining why cylinders 2 & 3 are the ones usually affected by the Ecoboom.

Sponsored