Sponsored

Have you blown an engine? If so, what rod (cylinder) failed?

What rod (cylinder) failed on your engine?

• Total voters

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford f250 turbo diesel and 2016 mustang svo
I would sell my new Esslinger engine for what ive got in it if anyone is interested, its a full build, sleeved, welded block, ported head, built to take as much power as you can give it. I think ive got about 9k in it, its sitting on the floor ready to go, they even broke it in on the dyno. PM me if anyone is interested.
Good deal for a motor..:ford:
Sponsored

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
#3. Motor had 4,000 miles. I was logging late at night in early January 2015 for a track day the next day. 93 tune from Unleashed, JLT CAI, spark plugs. No other mods. Made two clean pulls. Rolled into WOT from 40 and it exploded on the upshift at redline. Windowed the block and I found the wristpin sitting on the frame rail the next day. Warranty replacement. Engine went to Ford engineering as it was one of the first to pop. I had prior issues, including running out of fuel and audible detonation. This was a tune revision to cure fuel issues and there were no issues with fuel when it grenaded. I think the damage was already done from prior incidents.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
#3. Motor had 4,000 miles. I was logging late at night in early January 2015 for a track day the next day. 93 tune from Unleashed, JLT CAI, spark plugs. No other mods. Made two clean pulls. Rolled into WOT from 40 and it exploded on the upshift at redline. Windowed the block and I found the wristpin sitting on the frame rail the next day. Warranty replacement. Engine went to Ford engineering as it was one of the first to pop. I had prior issues, including running out of fuel and audible detonation. This was a tune revision to cure fuel issues and there were no issues with fuel when it grenaded. I think the damage was already done from prior incidents.
What pot went first..

Thank you for posting mate..:headbang:

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
For anyone having these issues as unfortunate as it may be that this happens we at Livernois Motorsports have been know for our engine building and all of our ecoboost experience and would love to help anyone out who is interested in building a stronger more durable engine to take the heat! Give us a call at 313-561-5500 and we will be glad to assist you! :cheers:

Sponsored

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For anyone having these issues as unfortunate as it may be that this happens we at Livernois Motorsports have been know for our engine building and all of our ecoboost experience and would love to help anyone out who is interested in building a stronger more durable engine to take the heat! Give us a call at 313-561-5500 and we will be glad to assist you! :cheers:
We all want head porting on CNC machine on the cheap.

Cdnspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Base GT/PP
the mazdaspeed engines would always let go on 3 as well, we determined it was due to the manifolds not having even flow, so 3 would always run slightly lean, a well known tuner also determined there were situations with DI that something called Super knock could occur.

so in the mazdaspeed community it was taught that you never go WOT in first or second under 3000rpm and you never do 5/6th gear pulls.

I've bent 2 rods in 2 different engines in my old mazdaspeed6.

Yes the Mazdaspeed engines are basically the generation before the Ecoboost enigine, they only lack the VVT on the exhaust and some minor head changes.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
We all want head porting on CNC machine on the cheap.
Well shoot me a PM or a call at 313-561-5500 extension 104 and we can discuss pricing on that if your interested :cheers:

OP
OP
Juben

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
Well shoot me a PM or a call at 313-561-5500 extension 104 and we can discuss pricing on that if your interested :cheers:
Is Dave still with Livernois? He was supposed to get me some pics and pricing on one of your exhaust manifold adapters and kind of went ghost on me.

trippleyelo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is Dave still with Livernois? He was supposed to get me some pics and pricing on one of your exhaust manifold adapters and kind of went ghost on me.
Billet aluminum intake too..please

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Yes dave is still with us and still very hard at work! Give him a call and he will help you out! extension 101 :cheers:

TtGjac0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Thought i should share my recent problems with my stock 2016 mustang ecoboost. The engine has never been tuned and all I have done is cosmetic stuff and a drop in K&N air filter with exhaust (Stock Downpipe). I recently hit 40k miles, always changed my oil between 4-5k miles with mobile 1 full synthetic and motorcraft filter. I always let engine warm up and i take great care of the car. About a week before I took it in to the dealer i started noticing rough idles and some sweet smell mixed with fuel coming out the exhaust and it would stutter randomly. It was odd because I recently just replaced my plugs with stock ones about 2k miles before. Then one time in 2nd gear around 4-5k RPM I was getting a lot of backfire so let off the throttle and new something wasn't right. Called my dealer and set up appointment, the morning of taking it in I turned it on and recorded the stuttering to show service advisor via remote start, then when i got in the car finally a check engine light came on (the odds). Take it in thought it may be a bad plug or sensor however after about a week with a terrible dealer (thats another story and nightmare). I was getting word that 2 cylinders were not holding compression and all this BS but frankly the dealer I took it to was very sketchy and I feel were not equipped to diagnose my car as they kept bouncing around. Pulled the car and took it to a much larger reputable dealer with good techs and I have some family friends who are high up there. They ran just a coolant pressure check they pinpointed cylinder 3 had coolant inside. I didn't follow up much more after that as they submitted everything to ford yesterday for a new motor and Im currently waiting to hear back from dealer but as of now should be covered under warranty for a new long block. Also to add is that there was a weird discoloration and something contaminated my plug in cylinder 2, it seems like there were things adding up to a bigger problem around cylinder 2&3 which I caught before bigger failure while under warranty.

If you read all that I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience or knowledge as to what. As of now i plan on selling the car before warranty goes for a V8 as I did not expect a stock motor would need to be replaced...... Im just glad I never tuned the car as I have been dying to but for this exact reason did not because it is my daily and it just wasn't worth the risk as Im just saving money to upgrade to a GT and then mod that car. (this is my first mustang and I think ill always buy mustangs as I fell in love with the car and with meeting other people in the car community). However, this raised some concerns for me as I don't think we should have to be worrying so much about blowing a motor.

Update: Just got a call Ford is issuing an engine tear down (prob to see if their is a cheaper route). So we will see in the next couple days.

Last edited:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Thought i should share my recent problems with my stock 2016 mustang ecoboost. The engine has never been tuned and all I have done is cosmetic stuff and a drop in K&N air filter with exhaust (Stock Downpipe). I recently hit 40k miles, always changed my oil between 4-5k miles with mobile 1 full synthetic and motorcraft filter. I always let engine warm up and i take great care of the car. About a week before I took it in to the dealer i started noticing rough idles and some sweet smell mixed with fuel coming out the exhaust and it would stutter randomly. It was odd because I recently just replaced my plugs with stock ones about 2k miles before. Then one time in 2nd gear around 4-5k RPM I was getting a lot of backfire so let off the throttle and new something wasn't right. Called my dealer and set up appointment, the morning of taking it in I turned it on and recorded the stuttering to show service advisor via remote start, then when i got in the car finally a check engine light came on (the odds). Take it in thought it may be a bad plug or sensor however after about a week with a terrible dealer (thats another story and nightmare). I was getting word that 2 cylinders were not holding compression and all this BS but frankly the dealer I took it to was very sketchy and I feel were not equipped to diagnose my car as they kept bouncing around. Pulled the car and took it to a much larger reputable dealer with good techs and I have some family friends who are high up there. They ran just a coolant pressure check they pinpointed cylinder 3 had coolant inside. I didn't follow up much more after that as they submitted everything to ford yesterday for a new motor and Im currently waiting to hear back from dealer but as of now should be covered under warranty for a new long block. Also to add is that there was a weird discoloration and something contaminated my plug in cylinder 2, it seems like there were things adding up to a bigger problem around cylinder 2&3 which I caught before bigger failure while under warranty.

If you read all that I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience or knowledge as to what. As of now i plan on selling the car before warranty goes for a V8 as I did not expect a stock motor would need to be replaced...... Im just glad I never tuned the car as I have been dying to but for this exact reason did not because it is my daily and it just wasn't worth the risk as Im just saving money to upgrade to a GT and then mod that car. (this is my first mustang and I think ill always buy mustangs as I fell in love with the car and with meeting other people in the car community). However, this raised some concerns for me as I don't think we should have to be worrying so much about blowing a motor.

Update: Just got a call Ford is issuing an engine tear down (prob to see if their is a cheaper route). So we will see in the next couple days.
That sounds like a head gasket issue...rare but not unheard of on these engines. As long as there's no further damage, I could easily see Ford authorizing a new head gasket. There was another forum member in here that had a head gasket replaced under warranty.

EDIT: here's the relevant thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...t-smell-white-smoke-rough-idle-problem.92016/

Last edited:

TtGjac0b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
That sounds like a head gasket issue...rare but not unheard of on these engines. As long as there's no further damage, I could easily see Ford authorizing a new head gasket. There was another forum member in here that had a head gasket replaced under warranty.

EDIT: here's the relevant thread: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...t-smell-white-smoke-rough-idle-problem.92016/
Thanks for the thread! and ya thats prob my issue but I was getting a few other symptoms during driving and performance loss so Ill have to wait and see.
That guy has had his tuned since he broke it in. Mines been stock and never touched which makes it odd I thought I would be safe, guess not.

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Thanks for the thread! and ya thats prob my issue but I was getting a few other symptoms during driving and performance loss so Ill have to wait and see.
That guy has had his tuned since he broke it in. Mines been stock and never touched which makes it odd I thought I would be safe, guess not.
It's going to be hard to tell for sure until it is broken down an inspected. If you had just sweet smell, missing and white smoke, those are all symptoms of coolant leakage into cylinders, either by a blown head gasket or other damages (cracked head, less chance block).
you might also have milky oil depending on where the damage is, but if you also had blue smoke that would probably compound the issues.
Sponsored