Sponsored

Have another seat, this keeps getting better....

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
:headbang: Well .....surely that will be cheaper. lol
I guess this is what we get for being early adopters
The OEM vent is a flimsy piece of plastic. How much could it weigh? It would be a pure aesthetic proposition to replace the oem vent, I can't see much of a weight savings. What I cant see also is why the MSRP of the OEM vent is over $2,200 MSRP. On top of that, it comes unpainted. If you have to have a shop do that you are then into more.
Sponsored

Venomous Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500/2019 F-350 / 2021 Bronco First Edition
The OEM vent is a flimsy piece of plastic. How much could it weigh? It would be a pure aesthetic proposition to replace the oem vent, I can't see much of a weight savings. What I cant see also is why the MSRP of the OEM vent is over $2,200 MSRP. On top of that, it comes unpainted. If you have to have a shop do that you are then into more.
No argument on the weight. I was more referring to an aftermarket piece that would possibly be more affordable or maybe in the same price range as what Ford is charging for the OE piece. I was being sarcastic about the Ford Performance CF part being cheaper. The CF piece may be the same weight but probably a more durable product. I’m sure time will give us some options.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No argument on the weight. I was more referring to an aftermarket piece that would possibly be more affordable or maybe in the same price range as what Ford is charging for the OE piece. I was being sarcastic about the Ford Performance CF part being cheaper. The CF piece may be the same weight but probably a more durable product. I’m sure time will give us some options.
In the mean time, I will have to steal the vent off the old hood.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tom: I thought Jamie had vent issues upon delivery and had his replaced but I couldn't remember if he menntioned the replacement cost. I see that he did and as expected, it mirrored what you've learned.

I see no other reason than profit for such ridiculous prices on the vent and wing. AC is supposed to make the part available through FP, or at least that's what they said at the reveal.

I would estimate the tray weighs approximately two to three pounds. As I said earlier, based on some of the existing AC prices, I can't see their vent costing more than that crazy OEM price. MOF, IMHO, even the CF version should be cheaper than that. If it isn't, I doubt I'll be a customer.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom: I thought Jamie had vent issues upon delivery and had his replaced but I couldn't remember if he menntioned the replacement cost. I see that he did and as expected, it mirrored what you've learned.

I see no other reason than profit for such ridiculous prices on the vent and wing. AC is supposed to make the part available through FP, or at least that's what they said at the reveal.

I would estimate the tray weighs approximately two to three pounds. As I said earlier, based on some of the existing AC prices, I can't see their vent costing more than that crazy OEM price. MOF, IMHO, even the CF version should be cheaper than that. If it isn't, I doubt I'll be a customer.
I ordered the rain tray for your decal project. It was less than $200. IMHO, that is what the vent (or scoop as they inaccurately call it) should cost as well.

When I was speaking with Anderson, I didn't bring up the cost factor for these associated parts. Honestly, its not their fault and they have nothing to do with this. But as I have mentioned, they are impacted by this as well. People are like me (at least I think so) in that they wouldn't want to tear off parts from their OEM hood to reinstall on another hood. Everyone I have spoke with pertaining to this issue has been great. The only problem here is Ford and this really unfair business practice. Humor me..... What if you were out enjoying your 500 and you got stuck behind a dump truck and a rock impacted your vent? How would you feel if you were forced to reach into your pocket for $1,800 to buy a vent and have it painted? All because of??? These parts don't cost that much to manufacture........ Not even close.

I'm afraid to look to see how much an ABS plastic splitter is going to cost me if I should hit a curb or something.

On a side note, I am still waiting on one door. As soon as it comes in, I will paint them all up and get them out to you, @Jmeo , and @Surfergeek.

Sponsored

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
It wouldn't be hard for them to do what FCA does with their SRT and other special edition vehicles, and require a VIN, repair order, and/or a call from the dealership in order to buy GT500 parts, thus eliminating the need to inflate prices to ridiculous levels to deter non-owners from buying them. When I worked at a dodge dealer a few years back, I had to jump through 500 hoops with Dodge and SRT just to order tires, a battery and an air filter for a customer with a Demon. Hopefully, if they ever do implement a system like that, it would be a little more logical.

On an unrelated note; while the GT500 prices are ridiculous, the prices for Ford GT parts are obscene. Makes their $28k CFTP wing look like pocket change.

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Another piece of overpriced ABS plastic. I had a hope, sincerely, that mother Ford would be helping us out with a two piece splitter design. Make the bottom portion a wear item that is affordable to replace. Well, i guess I was wrong.....

Instead of mother Ford helping, mother ford wound up being a mother *.

I'd expect this kind of crap out of some exotic supercar manufacturer...... But this is a Mustang..... a Mustang, with crap fit and finish and Ford wants to compare itself to those exotics? It almost seems like ford is trying to leap some kind of gap with this new 500. Ford should not forget the heritage of the mustang and the enthusiasts who they are hurting by these ludacrist business practices.

Ford, don't exclude owners who continue to support your brand by making these parts unobtainable. There is no reason your ABS plastic parts shot out of a mold should cost what equivalent carbon fiber does.

Eh.... you kkow what? I'm wasting my time.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
It wouldn't be hard for them to do what FCA does with their SRT and other special edition vehicles, and require a VIN, repair order, and/or a call from the dealership in order to buy GT500 parts, thus eliminating the need to inflate prices to ridiculous levels to deter non-owners from buying them. When I worked at a dodge dealer a few years back, I had to jump through 500 hoops with Dodge and SRT just to order tires, a battery and an air filter for a customer with a Demon. Hopefully, if they ever do implement a system like that, it would be a little more logical.

On an unrelated note; while the GT500 prices are ridiculous, the prices for Ford GT parts are obscene. Makes their $28k CFTP wing look like pocket change.
The 14 and 15 Z/28 was the same situation. You had to have a vintage to order any Z specific parts. I'm sure now that it is not made anymore and over 5 years old, anyone can get any parts they want.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Man you and this car. I imagine if someone offered you the right price, the car would be gone. I’m guessing that price would beat most ADM prices.
I’m thinking you and the car need to part ways.
Best of luck.
Sponsored