Sponsored

Have a Bullitt...Should I get a Mach 1 or a GT350 or just keep what I have?

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Thank you for the clarification! Does your '22 GT have the Performance Pack and MagneRide?
NP. My GT is Premium, and basic besides that, just for daily driving (no PP or MagneRide). I didn't want to go crazy with options since I have the Mach 1.

It is still an incredibly fun car to drive. Every drives makes me appreciate what Ford did with the Coyote engine, and the tranny is surprisingly smooth (no clunkiness or locking). The Mach 1 is on a whole different league, the price difference is well justified, from the tranny to the engine/exhaust sound and the handling.

Icing the cake is the attention it gets. Everyone that sees it just loves it, and it gets tons of looks on the road (as someone else stated above).

TheTopher on YouTube did a fantastic job reviewing the Mach 1 HP, as well as the GT500, GT350R and GT.
Sponsored

2BigPups

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
My wife has a 21 GT convertible with Magneride and active exhaust. Night and day difference between how her car handles, rides, and sounds compared to my 21 Mach 1, and not in a good way. :sunglasses:

Also, I find it very humorous going to car shows in NH and having GT350 owners immediately telling me how my M1 is only a parts bin car and will never be any good on the track, even after they admit they have never been on the track themselves. I just nod, tell them they have a very nice car, and go look at the other cars at the show. :cwl:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
M1 are also coming down even new as dealers realize the buyers are all gone.
Wonder how many dealer-ordered cars there will be as people with custom orders are waiting and waiting and waiting for their cars... Pretty sure there won't be dealer lots filled with Mach 1's, rather one car here and there in each state.

On topic, I think replacing Bullitt (or PP2 or even GT) with Mach 1 is rather silly. Unless you want to track it, want different colour or automatics. Few suspension mods and they'll behave similar.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Also, I can see people ditching high mileage 350s for Dark Horses soon.
Awww HELL no. GT350 guys have been losing their minds since the Mach came out saying nothing can replace the exhilaration of being able to rev 750 rpm higher than a Coyote. DH = S650 Mach so….

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Quick update: I test drove a Mach 1 (non-Handling Pack) for about two hours with some spirited driving.

Great car, no doubt. Feels more eager than the Bullitt. The Bullitt exhaust note is very similar but a little deeper and I didn't notice the occasional cracks/pops that the Bullitt gives you when you wring it out. I expected the overall difference to be more significant though. The Mach 1 doesn't feel as light on its feet as the GT350.

As was said here, Normal mode in the Mach 1 is pretty close to Sport mode in the Bullitt. The Tremec is undoubtedly the better gearbox. I don't think anybody is gonna argue that. It's just more notchy and feels more confident. Also, the gearing is definitely shorter/better spaced than the MT82-D4. However, maybe it is the overall experience, but I think shifting in the GT350 still feels different, i.e. better.

I can see that if you come from a regular GT without MagneRide and Performance Package, the Mach 1 would feel quite different. The difference to the Bullitt though is not big enough for me to justify the upcharge.

I am so glad I did the test drive before making any decision. Now I need to test a GT350 again, it really feels like a different car from what I remember. Unfortunately, prices are still high, so I may wait a bit and watch the market while keeping my low mileage Bullitt.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Quick update: I test drove a Mach 1 (non-Handling Pack) for about two hours with some spirited driving.

Great car, no doubt. Feels more eager than the Bullitt. The Bullitt exhaust note is very similar but a little deeper and I didn't notice the occasional cracks/pops that the Bullitt gives you when you wring it out. I expected the overall difference to be more significant though. The Mach 1 doesn't feel as light on its feet as the GT350.

As was said here, Normal mode in the Mach 1 is pretty close to Sport mode in the Bullitt. The Tremec is undoubtedly the better gearbox. I don't think anybody is gonna argue that. It's just more notchy and feels more confident. Also, the gearing is definitely shorter/better spaced than the MT82-D4. However, maybe it is the overall experience, but I think shifting in the GT350 still feels different, i.e. better.

I can see that if you come from a regular GT without MagneRide and Performance Package, the Mach 1 would feel quite different. The difference to the Bullitt though is not big enough for me to justify the upcharge.

I am so glad I did the test drive before making any decision. Now I need to test a GT350 again, it really feels like a different car from what I remember. Unfortunately, prices are still high, so I may wait a bit and watch the market while keeping my low mileage Bullitt.
That is a decision that Steve McQueen would be very proud of. If he were still alive, he would tell you exactly that.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Good move to keep the Bullitt. Mach I is a great car but not enough to justify the $$ if you already have the Bullitt.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
That is a decision that Steve McQueen would be very proud of. If he were still alive, he would tell you exactly that.
Here’s the man himself, waving at a M1 as it drives by …

1673049908958.jpeg

:cwl:

Just messing with you all … :like:

WD :like:

OP
OP
derklink

derklink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1
Thank you all for your kind feedback. I'd say all current Mustangs are sweet, each in their own way, and I am grateful for what I have. Driving the Mach 1 and the Bullitt back-to-back today felt great. It was cold-ish but sunny. I really enjoyed both rides.

Ideally, I'd keep the Bullitt and ADD a GT350. I know an empty nester who has a Bullitt and a GT500 and I can see why. However, I have to have a main vehicle that is practical, can haul kids, and can be driven by my wife occasionally, which is why I have a truck.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Here’s the man himself, waving at a M1 as it drives by …

1673049908958.jpeg

:cwl:

Just messing with you all … :like:

WD :like:
I wonder if all of us Yankees understand that hand gesture 😂

Sponsored

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Beef up suspension, add 20 inch wheels, add a tune or sc, maybe a short shift and a new steering wheel etc and you will have a new car feel.

Johnnydarkgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R, 91f150,Lexus GX460 , 1965 Mercury comet cyclone 4speed
Vehicle Showcase
Our forum offers great questions and sound replies for us all. Great times to have the Bullit, Mach1, mustang GT , SHELBY GT350 . A fantastic Mustang for so many individual reasons. Considering everyone has the right mustang for them , my experience after owning 27 mustangs is to find the best affordable lowest build number produced for your future wallet. I feel Ford Performance/SVT spent the most time and money development on the GT350R with Billy Johnson’s help . Wait for the right one, pull the trigger and possibly own it for free as you may end up selling it some day for what you paid or even more! I’m driving mine for free probably.

f00man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang M1 HP
Awww HELL no. GT350 guys have been losing their minds since the Mach came out saying nothing can replace the exhilaration of being able to rev 750 rpm higher than a Coyote. DH = S650 Mach so….
Yup. The DH is an uglier Mach 1 HP. I'm not sure what the DH R or S will look like, but the street legal DH is a downgraded design, except for the full-set of Brembos.

No GT350/R in their right mind, should even consider trading for a DH. Unless they have horrible reliability issues.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Beef up suspension, add 20 inch wheels, add a tune or sc, maybe a short shift and a new steering wheel etc and you will have a new car feel.
I also think the Bullitt has some potential to be sharpened up a bit.
Maybe shorter rear axle, gear box mounted shifter (that alone will do a lot), different clutch assist spring etc.

PS: Whether you have to go through the hopping with the 20 "s, I think it's unnecessary.

Here the PR appetizer, as a reminder, what fine thing you have there:
Sponsored