Sponsored

Has anyone with Sync3 Nav successfully updated their maps?

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Refreshing my quest for updated maps I stumbled across this post.

Which claims that Sync 3 Nav updates are available as a dealer only installation ordered through OASIS. I have a call into the local dealership shop foreman for confirmation. Fingers crossed.

In my quest's previous evolution, I found reference to a Ford part number for a Nav update USB drive. But there was little to no description (no version information, etc.) When I spoke with Ford, they said that part number was only available for a few months and was discontinued the previous summer. She would not elaborate on what the contents of that USB drive were either. Note that the above linked information was dated April of 2018 (only a few weeks after my last attempt), so hopefully still legit.

And as always, ford.naviextras.com as well as owner.ford.com still say, "HA! Good luck with that..."
Sponsored

eddison

Maps were available in early 2018 as a dealer only order as you found. Each USB drive is tied to the ESN of your Sync 3 APIM, so they cannot be used across multiple vehicles. The drives are no longer avalaible to order, so I’ve read.

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
Grimmer did you ever get anywhere with this? I can't believe this is the way Ford handles GPS updates. I have Android Auto and Google Maps if and when I really need it, but I personally prefer using the native GPS. It can do split screen, and easy access to environment controls. Oh well can't have everything I guess.

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I called one dealer shop recently and they were still pushing the microSD angle (only works for previous versions of Sync and hardware). I haven't pressed or called around to the other guys in town yet.

Should have thought of that though... I was at the dealer today picking up parts.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Currently the only way to update built in maps is to change out our APIM from a newer model. I’ll be doing this adding 18 maps along with HD radio.

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
In Europe you can download the maps for free from the Ford website.
I updated my maps on my SYNC3 retrofit up to maps version F8 (Europe).

eddison

Grimmer did you ever get anywhere with this? I can't believe this is the way Ford handles GPS updates. I have Android Auto and Google Maps if and when I really need it, but I personally prefer using the native GPS. It can do split screen, and easy access to environment controls. Oh well can't have everything I guess.
See my post #17 for detail. Is there a particular question you have? I updated both my F150 and Mustang when the part (usb drive) was available from Ford. That is how US maps got updated, as of mid 2018. I’d be happy to pull the part number from my records if you’d like to chat with your local dealer.

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
See my post #17 for detail. Is there a particular question you have? I updated both my F150 and Mustang when the part (usb drive) was available from Ford. That is how US maps got updated, as of mid 2018. I’d be happy to pull the part number from my records if you’d like to chat with your local dealer.
What did the update run you?

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
You can't get updates now, I don't know what happened, but Ford hasn't been issuing them for quite a while, I'm guessing they can't figure out how to keep them from getting hacked or copied so they're not releasing them, but that's just a guess.

The screen dealers go to to order nav updates says this:

Current Navigation Map Updates for all North American vehicles SYNC® 3 (Base P/N 19H449) Not available until further notice

SYNC 2 - SD Cards (Base P/N 19H449)

Navigation Discs (Base P/Ns 10E945 and 10E987)

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
See post #16 and the associated external link. (Is that the order page you referenced?)

I was told by the Ford rep when I called that the USB Drive update (sold as a part) was no longer available.

I was hopeful when I read the update was available as a dealer only install but have not confirmed if that option was also discontinued. The USB drive self install part ran about $150. Not sure what the dealer would charge for an update if they could ever figure out how to do it.

Do you know if your post applies to both avenues for update? Or just to the discontinued self install USB drive?

Sponsored

eddison

What did the update run you?
$150 for each vehicle. The part number when I purchased in 2018 was VJJ5Z19H449A.

The update files on the USB drive are signed with a certificate that has the unique ESN of the Sync 3 APIM hardcoded. The APIM validates this info (through a few technical means, such as hash and certificate validation) before allowing the update to install. This makes sharing the update between vehicles nearly impossible.

When I ordered, my dealer had a form to fill out that needed the ESN of the APIM, as well as the VIN of the vehicle. The form performed a lookup to validate that the ESN was from the correct vehicle by VIN. This is why I advise everyone who does Sync 3 swaps to know or obtain the VIN of the donor vehicle, and a big reason why I don’t recommend sites like 4DTech, as they don’t know or won’t provide that info.

The update itself took roughly 40 minutes to install, so I’m guessing Ford had some negative feedback about that from both DIY’ers and Dealer techs.

jody858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT
In conclusion:

1. A complete rip-off of a price
2. A complete pain in the ass to install, even if your dealer knows what's up
3. Mysteriously no longer available

Meh, guess it's still Android Auto for me. Maybe when I get my tax return next year, lol.

XKRJAG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT, 02 Tbird, 06 XKR
See post #16 and the associated external link. (Is that the order page you referenced?)

I was told by the Ford rep when I called that the USB Drive update (sold as a part) was no longer available.

I was hopeful when I read the update was available as a dealer only install but have not confirmed if that option was also discontinued. The USB drive self install part ran about $150. Not sure what the dealer would charge for an update if they could ever figure out how to do it.

Do you know if your post applies to both avenues for update? Or just to the discontinued self install USB drive?
The USB drive is the only way to update. Dealer install is just the dealer ordering the USB and installing it. There is no way to update SYNC3 maps at this time.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Find an APIM from a salvaged 2018. I did for under a $100 and you can see my vin which clearly says it’s a 2016 but I have 2018 maps which is the NA 1 16 (previously was NA 1 14). It even apparently had a modem which I don’t have. Easy install and a little forscan coding. This of course if you wish upgraded maps that bad. I appreciate not being on ghost roads in my area anymore as well as finding some places that seem like they have been there forever which amazingly now are in my maps. And there’s always Waze, Apple and Google maps.

6C76D869-1AA5-4A46-B160-E86010045124.jpeg

OP
OP
Grimmer

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
The USB drive is the only way to update. Dealer install is just the dealer ordering the USB and installing it. There is no way to update SYNC3 maps at this time.
Bummer, I was hoping that they had just restricted the sale of said part # to dealerships only, thus effectively making it "not available" for me to order.

I cannot fathom what the hell is going on over at Ford, is it really that hard to hash out a method for updating maps? We already know that updated map files exist since they are included with each new model year. Do they have this problem will all of their product lines? Or are they just ignoring the S550's?

As I've mentioned before, the original voice activated navigation search routine was so useless that I didn't mind the maps being outdated - since they couldn't be reasonably used anyway. But about Sync3 V2 or so they reprogrammed it to be much better and almost usable. However, the first time I tried to use the new and improved voice navigation, the business location I was searching for was not included in the "years out of date" map files... DOH!!!
Sponsored