Has anyone widened a Roush wheel?

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 competition orange mustang gt
So I'm thinking of adding power to my 15' but I really like my Roush rims. The rims rims are 20x9.5, which won't cut it. Has anyone widened a Roush rim in the back? I was thinking of sending them to weldcraft to widen them to 20x11. Thoughts? I currently have spacers on the rear (which I would need). Wheels sit nice and flush. (I have the ford performance rear hubs with the longer studs). This is all purely cosmetic. I'm not tracking the car or racing it. If anyone has done it I would love to see pics.
Sponsored

jon.smith76063

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX Hatch, 1994 Cobra, 2020 Roush Stage 3
I haven't done it but have considered it because I love the look of my Roush wheels on my 2020. My only hesitation is that I take my car on a road course a few times a year and a square setup is better for that. Also, a staggered setup is a huge pain in the ass to rotate if you have directional tires.

OP
OP
Competition53

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I haven't done it but have considered it because I love the look of my Roush wheels on my 2020. My only hesitation is that I take my car on a road course a few times a year and a square setup is better for that. Also, a staggered setup is a huge pain in the ass to rotate if you have directional tires.
Should we widen all four? šŸ˜

I have a staggered tire setup now: 265 front and 285 back. So I donā€™t mind it, but I know where you are coming from, it is a pain in the arsh to rotate the tires.

Hmmm, widen all four? šŸ¤” This is about to get pricey. Get out of my head man šŸ˜‚

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just something to consider...
It can be difficult to find a tire shop that will mount tires to widened wheels, even if they are professionally done.

OP
OP
Competition53

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Just something to consider...
It can be difficult to find a tire shop that will mount tires to widened wheels, even if they are professionally done.
Iā€™ve thought about that. Iā€™ll have to make some calls.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
FYI, Weldcraft does very nice work.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Iā€™ve heard that. Have you had work done by them?
I haven't myself but a friend had a pair widened and a pair narrowed and the result was perfect. Since I've always had them bookmarked for future reference.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Thoughts?
I used Weldcraft years ago on a previous car, and while it worked out fine never had any issues I would not do it again mainly due to cost. I would keep the OEM Roush wheels as is and get another pair for looks. With wheels being so cheap these days, it's not worth it to go through all the trouble of cutting and welding a nice pair of wheels.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Add the power, buy good sticky tires and see how it does, then consider wheel widening. An inch or so wider still won't always plant 700hp and as you said its just a street car. If you do ever get to a dragstrip buy a set of drag radials on 17s to plant the power for the night.

Sponsored

Ghorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I say do it if you like the look of those wheels. I have a set of Weld Magnums that were originally made for the irs cobras and supras. They were originally 17x9.25. Weldcraft widened them 3". Only set in the world I know of on a S550. The extra width puts all of the 325/45/17 M&H tread on the ground and looks awesome. Weldcraft does excellent work and I've never had an issue getting tire shops to mount them.

OP
OP
Competition53

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I used Weldcraft years ago on a previous car, and while it worked out fine never had any issues I would not do it again mainly due to cost. I would keep the OEM Roush wheels as is and get another pair for looks. With wheels being so cheap these days, it's not worth it to go through all the trouble of cutting and welding a nice pair of wheels.
Iā€™m actually doing just that. I have an extra pair of roush rims to widen. Makes more sense this way. What makes most sense is if roush offered them wider to begin with.

OP
OP
Competition53

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Add the power, buy good sticky tires and see how it does, then consider wheel widening. An inch or so wider still won't always plant 700hp and as you said its just a street car. If you do ever get to a dragstrip buy a set of drag radials on 17s to plant the power for the night.
I see what youā€™re saying. 700hp definitely wonā€™t be easy (if at all to plant) with 20 inchers but a 305 on the back makes me feel a little better than 285ā€™s on my 9.5 wheels lol. One day Iā€™ll get those 17ā€™s and make it to the drag!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Competition53

Competition53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I say do it if you like the look of those wheels. I have a set of Weld Magnums that were originally made for the irs cobras and supras. They were originally 17x9.25. Weldcraft widened them 3". Only set in the world I know of on a S550. The extra width puts all of the 325/45/17 M&H tread on the ground and looks awesome. Weldcraft does excellent work and I've never had an issue getting tire shops to mount them.
I like what Iā€™m hearing about weldcraft. I think you boys helped me with my decision.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I like what Iā€™m hearing about weldcraft. I think you boys helped me with my decision.
I had weldcraft widen a set of marauder wheels, all the marauder guys who are looking for widened stock wheels go to weldcraft. They do excellent work for sure

DSC_8967-X4.jpg

DSC_8968-X4.jpg
Sponsored