Hardwire Radar into 2018 Mirror w/rain sensor

Discussion in 'Infotainment and Electronics (Nav, Audio, Video, Bluetooth)' started by Enzo, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Rover

Rover Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scotty
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium, BMW Z4, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
    Garage Profiles:
    Entrepreneur
    0   0   0
    Can you post a picture of the R7 mounted as described? I have the older R3 with a mirror mount and wires hanging down that needs cleaning up. CA forbids windshield mounting anything. :headbang:
    And Thanks to the OP for posting

2. Dano

Dano Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    #17 Dano, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
    Based on the information in this thread (Thanks GTFURY and Enzo), I bought a Uniden R7 and the MirrorTap MTX-1010 kit and did the install.

A few thoughts:
    • Removing the cover was initially a little disconcerting, like you were going to break something. Just go for it. As the pic above shows, there are clips and the cover snaps off no problem with a little effort
    • The mirror tap kit has multiple tips that plug into the harness that account for installation in different cars. This was a little tricky getting the right one to fit and not be too loose.
    • I found the actual mirror tab cable with the RJ11 connector to be a tad short. Another couple of inches would have been better. It works, and will work better when I get the blend mount, but for the suction cup mounts it doesn't give you a lot of options (see picture below).
    Here are some not so great pictures of the install.
    Hope this helps others.
    Mount from outside.jpg
    Mount from inside 1.jpg
    Mount view from below.jpg

rmreid17 and Enzo like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Enzo
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT PP1
    0   0   0
    How do you like that radar? Have you had a Valentine One before?

4. Dano

Dano Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle(s):
    Mustang
    0   0   0
    I‘Ve never had a radar detector before. I pretty much stick to the speed limit plus the allowed 5 to 10 mph over.

I really got this for road trips and doing local mountain runs. Still waiting for better weather to settle in here in Colorado.

So far I really like the R7 and it features and ease of use, but I don’t have anything to compare it to, and haven’t spent enough time with it to make any serious judgements.

5. Rover

Rover Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Scotty
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium, BMW Z4, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
    Garage Profiles:
    Entrepreneur
    0   0   0
    The R3 is great. Save my but a few times. But it is only forward sensing so a R7 is in my future and the R3 will go in my other car.

6. slowrey

slowrey Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    What length mirror tap did you use?

7. GTFURY

GTFURY Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Pete
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magnaride
    0   0   0
    Can't speak for the OP but the one I used (and that the J28 website will guide you to if you filter on S550 Stang) is a 10". For me it's a perfect length for where I have my detector, up high next to the mirror. If you want to use a blend mount another inch or two I think might help depending on your detectors power input location because you lose a few inches inside the housing once you reconnect and install everything. IMG_8064.jpeg

rmreid17 likes this.