Sponsored

Hardwire Radar into 2018 Mirror w/rain sensor

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
I used the supplied sticky suction cup mount since the R7 Blendmount isn't available yet. Honestly the current set up has the R7 tucked up high, right by the headliner and out of the way to the point where I may skip the blend mount all together. I really like this location.
Can you post a picture of the R7 mounted as described? I have the older R3 with a mirror mount and wires hanging down that needs cleaning up. CA forbids windshield mounting anything. :headbang:
And Thanks to the OP for posting
Sponsored

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Based on the information in this thread (Thanks GTFURY and Enzo), I bought a Uniden R7 and the MirrorTap MTX-1010 kit and did the install.

A few thoughts:
  • Removing the cover was initially a little disconcerting, like you were going to break something. Just go for it. As the pic above shows, there are clips and the cover snaps off no problem with a little effort
  • The mirror tap kit has multiple tips that plug into the harness that account for installation in different cars. This was a little tricky getting the right one to fit and not be too loose.
  • I found the actual mirror tab cable with the RJ11 connector to be a tad short. Another couple of inches would have been better. It works, and will work better when I get the blend mount, but for the suction cup mounts it doesn't give you a lot of options (see picture below).
Here are some not so great pictures of the install.
Hope this helps others.
Mount from outside.jpg

Mount from inside 1.jpg

Mount view from below.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Based on the information in this thread (Thanks GTFURY and Enzo), I bought a Uniden R7 and the MirrorTap MTX-1010 kit and did the install.

A few thoughts:
  • Removing the cover was initially a little disconcerting, like you were going to break something. Just go for it. As the pic above shows, there are clips and the cover snaps off no problem with a little effort
  • The mirror tap kit has multiple tips that plug into the harness that account for installation in different cars. This was a little tricky getting the right one to fit and not be too loose.
  • I found the actual mirror tab cable with the RJ11 connector to be a tad short. Another couple of inches would have been better. It works, and will work better when I get the blend mount, but for the suction cup mounts it doesn't give you a lot of options (see picture below).
Here are some not so great pictures of the install.
Hope this helps others.
Mount from outside.jpg

Mount from inside 1.jpg

Mount view from below.jpg
How do you like that radar? Have you had a Valentine One before?

Dano

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Iā€˜Ve never had a radar detector before. I pretty much stick to the speed limit plus the allowed 5 to 10 mph over.

I really got this for road trips and doing local mountain runs. Still waiting for better weather to settle in here in Colorado.

So far I really like the R7 and it features and ease of use, but I donā€™t have anything to compare it to, and havenā€™t spent enough time with it to make any serious judgements.

Rover

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT , Porsche Boxster S, BMW X5d, FORD Transit Diesel, 2500 Ram Diesel, Mazda CX5
Vehicle Showcase
The R3 is great. Save my but a few times. But it is only forward sensing so a R7 is in my future and the R3 will go in my other car.

Sponsored

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, just doing a quick and simple write up regarding the radar hardwire into the 2018 Mirror with rain sensor.

This is super simple.

1) remove plastic covers, you can do so by hand. Itā€™s held on by clips.

2) remove mirror, it requires a T-20 screw.

3). Locate the wires where the mirror plugs into it. On the left side of the connection is where the power is.

4) Locate the blue/black wire and plug your Black wire into it, locate the brown/yellow and plug your Red wire into it.

Thatā€™s all you need to do and it will power on and off with all the other accessories.
EB910F24-1BF8-4E26-A428-60B9E9A26AEA.jpeg
FD6D32D2-FB12-4EF1-9212-336941AD565E.jpeg
783B793F-E471-4294-BD0A-9CC188B4C7F7.jpeg
D148BF8A-E8DD-4339-839D-241725CF862F.jpeg
74EA6E93-F722-4B95-AD11-2185B4930E3C.jpeg
E6F06ED7-5DC7-4DDA-A748-B1ADCAFC4C49.jpeg
What length mirror tap did you use?

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
Can't speak for the OP but the one I used (and that the J28 website will guide you to if you filter on S550 Stang) is a 10". For me it's a perfect length for where I have my detector, up high next to the mirror. If you want to use a blend mount another inch or two I think might help depending on your detectors power input location because you lose a few inches inside the housing once you reconnect and install everything.
IMG_8064.jpeg

Nodia

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoSport Convertible
Thanks for the directions. Made installing my RD easy.

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
Anyone ā€œsecuringā€ the mirror tap inside so it cannot be pulled out of that plug on accident? Little zip ties maybe?

Pulling the two plastic pieces off sure is nerve racking. Iā€™m amazed how much these cars are held together with push pins and snap in pieces. lol.

OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Anyone ā€œsecuringā€ the mirror tap inside so it cannot be pulled out of that plug on accident? Little zip ties maybe?

Pulling the two plastic pieces off sure is nerve racking. Iā€™m amazed how much these cars are held together with push pins and snap in pieces. lol.
I thought about it, but the likely hood of it me tugging on it is very rare.

Regarding your pushpin comment... Yes itā€™s scary lol. I wish ford would put more quality in the build quality of this vehicle. I would be willing to pay more for it as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Enzo

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
Can't speak for the OP but the one I used (and that the J28 website will guide you to if you filter on S550 Stang) is a 10". For me it's a perfect length for where I have my detector, up high next to the mirror. If you want to use a blend mount another inch or two I think might help depending on your detectors power input location because you lose a few inches inside the housing once you reconnect and install everything.
IMG_8064.jpeg
How are you liking this radar? I'm thinking of switching my V1.

GTFURY

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, PP1, 401A, A10, Magneride
How are you liking this radar? I'm thinking of switching my V1.
I'm extremely happy with it. The sensitivity it outstanding and with the proper set up the falses are minimal. I would purchase it again without any hesitation. By way of update to my post as well, I did switch to a blend mount and the 10" power tap works perfectly there too.
Sponsored