Hard Clutch Pedal

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Why do I have a hard clutch pedal after a hard run. This is not the first time but I want to make sure it's not something detrimental.
What is a hard run, well it's 150 mph for about 200 miles.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Autobahn was pretty much clear. I hung in the left lane and people were nice enough to move out of the way when I was coming through.
I do love driving it hard.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Running 150 mph for 200 miles is definitely a hard run. Where in the world did you even find the room to pull that off? What did the engine oil, transmission and differential fluid look like afterward?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
German autobahn. Not the first time I've done runs but I'm curious why the pedal gets hard.
I will be changing oil in March (it's time). Diff did not barf so I believe it's good.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
German autobahn. Not the first time I've done runs but I'm curious why the pedal gets hard.
I will be changing oil in March (it's time). Diff did not barf so I believe it's good.
Let it eat! I’ll bet that was a blast. Engine should definitely be super loose with that kind of running. Clutch probably just got really hot. Are you still on a factory clutch or have you gone aftermarket. Maybe consider doing shorter runs at those speeds and then giving the clutch time to cool down.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still running factory clutch. The clutch got hot? That's humorous.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Still running factory clutch. The clutch got hot?
I’ve never done high speed runs like you have for that long, but from what you’ve said, your car was running at max hp and tq for a while. That’s a lot of friction and heat being put into the clutch. Is your clutch fluid super dark? If so, try flushing the system, filling the reservoir with fresh fluid and bleeding it to see if that helps With the pedal feel.

You can also check with the autocross racers and see if they have experienced similar issues and how they worked around it.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I truly learned how to drive in Germany when I was there. It’s an amazing experience when people actually know how to drive and follow rules like getting out of the way of faster cars. Miss it

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
After a high load run for that prolonged time I would change every fluid.

The hard clutch pedal is probably related to your slave cylinder. Again, I would inspect then change.

Sounds like fun, be safe out there OP!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve never done high speed runs like you have for that long, but from what you’ve said, your car was running at max hp and tq for a while. That’s a lot of friction and heat being put into the clutch. Is your clutch fluid super dark? If so, try flushing the system, filling the reservoir with fresh fluid and bleeding it to see if that helps With the pedal feel.

You can also check with the autocross racers and see if they have experienced similar issues and how they worked around it.
Fluid is dark. Pedal feel is fine now just wondering if it's normal for hard pedal after hard run.
My shop will be doing my brakes so flushing and fill.
I will ask the HPDE

I truly learned how to drive in Germany when I was there. It’s an amazing experience when people actually know how to drive and follow rules like getting out of the way of faster cars. Miss it
Did you hit any of the tracks while you were here?

After a high load run for that prolonged time I would change every fluid.

The hard clutch pedal is probably related to your slave cylinder. Again, I would inspect then change.

Sounds like fun, be safe out there OP!
The performance shops trip when I ask them for a product, let's says I want to buy a new clutch kit, they ask how is my driving habits/what is Stang used for and I say Autobahn (say 150mph for an hour) and race tracks (Hockenheimring, Nurburgring, Spa-Francorchamps). I will try to hit the Red Bull Ring in Spielberg, Austria this year.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The OE DOT4 should be pretty light in color, almost invisible through the plastic. If it's really dark you probably have a decent amount of moisture in the system which could cause your issue.

OP
OP
Bahndvr

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I use Castrol SRF
Sponsored