Sponsored

Guys, how important is the “Shelby” name to the enjoyment of your car?

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
That would have been the '13/'14 GT-500, with a well covered approval from the man himself with its 662hp 5.8 DOHC V8.
"Approval" is the word. Neither Mr. Shelby nor anyone working for him did any engineering or manufacturing for that car. He simply gave Ford permission to use his name again.
The S197 GT500 was designed and built by Ford SVT, same as the GT350 after it.
EDIT: The 2006/2006 "Shelby GT" had the Ford Performance catalog thrown at it, and retained a warranty. It's neither comparable to a GT350, nor a product of Shelby American.

I like my 2023 SA GT and I think they did a great job with the car. It is not just badging, folks. If you don't like it, that's cool, to each his own as they say...
image0-2.jpeg
^ Unlike the GT350, this one is from Mr. Shelby's own company.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Love when others like to bolster their purchase decisions by starting these types of conversations. People are so dumb to need this type of thing to make themselves feel good.

If you didn't buy a GT350 or 500, you bought an inferior Mustang, get over it ;)

Evidence - where are there any GT350 people posting in other forums saying - DO you guys feel good that you got a nice sports car for less money and didn't pay all that money for JUST the Shelby name? Nope.

Wildwildwest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Love when others like to bolster their purchase decisions by starting these types of conversations. People are so dumb to need this type of thing to make themselves feel good.

If you didn't buy a GT350 or 500, you bought an inferior Mustang, get over it ;)

Evidence - where are there any GT350 people posting in other forums saying - DO you guys feel good that you got a nice sports car for less money and didn't pay all that money for JUST the Shelby name? Nope.
🤣🤣🤣

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
The Shelby name carried a lot more prominence when his team was directly involved. Once that ended it was just a marketing tool. Great cars, but licensing the name doesn't really add value at this point.

Sponsored

MexicanFiestaST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
@wingnutt I used to have an 86 Dodge Shelby Turbo. In fact, I was digging through old photos and "rediscovered" this car. It was my first turbo car. That little thing scooted!

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
The Shelby name on my 350 doesn't mean the most to me honestly. I call it a 350.

What's more important to me is the SVT on my 03 cobra. A lot of history in making those 03-04 cobras. Sometimes I wished that I left it stock, but it is very fun to drive.
I agree. I miss my 04 Cobra. That was an awesome car 🤙

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
As someone deeply involved in Shelby, let me try to explain the connection. First, Carroll himself said the name doesnt make the car. Obviously the cars are built to live up to the name. Someone mentioned AMG. Even if you're not a Merc guy, you understand the meaning of the name. The car and the name are tied together by history. Who assembles the car is irrelevant. Carroll did not build cars. He assembled the talent to do them right. The last car Carroll had any say in was the S550 GT350. While minimal, he decided Ford would produce the car. Jim Owens, Mustang brand manager worked directly for Carroll. He still has input via those who moved over. If you know anything about Carroll, you know he loved his family. And those were all the Shelby owners. Ford marketing is the reason? No, Carroll's personal connection with the Ford family is the reason the relaunched the line. Edsel was quoted as long as he was alive, there would always be a Shelby model. Of course, he's no longer on the board. As for Shelby owners, yes, ever once in a while you find an owner with an attitude. Shelby owners find them as reprehensible as the other owners. And some of the owners of other named cars have a chip on thier shoulder. Excuse the long post, I spent a year on a documentary as co-producer on a documentary of Carrols life, specifically concentrated on a lot of who he was. While not Hollywood quality it tells the story of who he was through the eyes if those who either worked for them or family of those people. It hasn't been released yet.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The "Shelby" name could have never been on the car and if they sold this as the S550 Cobra and it was an expansion of the focus of the old Cobra R cars I'd have still bought it. I bought it for the engineering and capability and sound and not the name on it.

That being said I do feel that the name helps significantly with the resale value in the market as a whole. While I may not put as much stock in the name, I think it's clear that others do.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

Anyone carefully reading and thinking a little about the OP would realize that this is just rephrasing exactly what was said therein. No attempt at being coy, just honesty.

There’s always gonna be a junior analyst chiming in but it took longer than I would’ve thought. Contrarianism is a hard habit to shake.

Sponsored

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
I simply call my 2017 "the GT350" since it was built by Ford. I call my 1966 "the Shelby" because it was built by Shelby American.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
In reference to the SVT Cobra… I mean the Cobra name was in relation to Shelby first … no?

I mean my 67 GT500 had Cobras on it…

I always thought the choice of the Cobra name by SVT was a nod to Shelby ..

I always thought of Boss and Mach as the only pure Ford names

Captharley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Petty Garage Edition
Just to throw this out there. How about a much more rare high performance like a Petty Garage Mustang ?
Sponsored