Sponsored

Guess the 2015 5.0 Coyote HP and TQ numbers

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
The new motor is basically the Boss without the Boss intake. So I don't see how this one will make 444 hp without some kind of magical new intake. Even so it will be fine. I'm not too worried.
The 2015 Coyote actually has hotter cams than the Boss Roadrunner engine with 13mm lift both intake and exhaust. I forget the duration.
Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
The new motor is basically the Boss without the Boss intake. So I don't see how this one will make 444 hp without some kind of magical new intake.
Actually that's not quite true. The 2015 GT has larger valves and more camshaft lift on the intake side than the Boss does. EDIT: noticed Grimace beat me to the punch :)

Heads and Cams = Advantage S550

How the peak power numbers will compare overall is obviously still to be determined. But suffice it to say, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and this motor doesn't need to rev as high as the Boss... ;)

DMassey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'll be willing to guess that peak hp will only go up 10 hp or so, but power under the curve will be up as much as 20 hp at certain spots; and that's fine by me. I can't wait to see the gains that a Cobra Jet intake setup will unleash!

cadillacjay18

Threads
Reaction score
Yes, they were definitely referring to corner carving when they made that statement...
"According to Ford Mustang communications representative Brian Cotter, the new muscle car is being aimed at exceeding the lofty benchmarks set by the stripped-out, pared-down Boss 302 Laguna Seca, a model that doesn't even come with a back seat. Although Cotter wasn't at liberty to give us specific times and figures, he said that the car would sweep the Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca bends at a time that would come under its purpose-built predecessor's blistering 1:39.5 pace."
The only reference I've heard made to the straight line acceleration performance is in relation to the outgoing GT. They have stated that it will outperform the current model.

Now that doesn't mean it won't outrun the Boss in a straight line too. But straight line acceleration is not what most people are looking for when making comparisons to a car purpose built for corner carving.
True but in order to out perform the out going model in the quarter mile or a laguna Seca that doesn't have a backseat and stripped down IRS Alone won't do it especially with weight gain so naturally it will need more than just 10 to 15 additional HP

cadillacjay18

Threads
Reaction score
Rob W H;571"01 said:
Hahaha! Okay450hp... you said it. If it gets that, great! If it outruns all previous non GT500 Mustangs... Hell is getting really cold! :thumbsup:

Instead of pointing out the obvious, I'll just ask you to show us where this was said... :headbonk:
Just look above at the link posted that my post was quoted in. There's no need to get testy buddy this is my opinion. That's why it's called a guess. But when the numbers are announced and "Hell freezes over" remember who said it first

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
True but in order to out perform the out going model in the quarter mile or a laguna Seca that doesn't have a backseat and stripped down IRS Alone won't do it especially with weight gain so naturally it will need more than just 10 to 15 additional HP
Not necessarily. Its not always about the most power on the dragstrip. Oh it helps for sure. But it can be HOW that HP/TQ is put down. I have beaten my fair share of cars at my local 1/8 mile track that on paper have bigger HP numbers but be it the driver or how the vehicle puts its power down has made all the difference in those races.

The S550 may very well get better traction, transfer weight better and shift more quickly and have more area under the curve down the dragstrip. Hence it could only have a small HP/TQ bump and still nip the outgoing 2014 GT at the strip. Just a thought. :)

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
I lol'd. Would that be just 2 cylinders firing? ;) You should probably reverse the numbers as well 111 HP 75 TQ. ;)
It could be that way though.... look at the 2015 audi tt. 211hp and 275tq even though it is a turbo

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Pablo GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cayman S
Actually that's not quite true. The 2015 GT has larger valves and more camshaft lift on the intake side than the Boss does. EDIT: noticed Grimace beat me to the punch :)

Heads and Cams = Advantage S550

How the peak power numbers will compare overall is obviously still to be determined. But suffice it to say, there's more than one way to skin a cat, and this motor doesn't need to rev as high as the Boss... ;)
I said it's basically the Boss motor. I'm aware of the differences, especially THE IM. These improvements will create more area under the curve than the Boss. But for max HP its going to need to rev as high as the Boss and breathe just as well or better.

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I have this feeling that Ford has already planned years ahead, right to the end of the S550's run. If I was an exec this is exactly the sort of thing I'd do. When the new Camaro's specs are finally winkled out by their spies in the industry, the plan will be adjusted accordingly. More HP, more standard equipment, direct injection, different marketing, new market penetration, more dealerships to compete with GM, etc.

With this in mind, I am almost certain that the Mustang is simply detuned below its full (safe) potential in order to leave room for more power for subsequent model years. I imagine that it is far easier to over engineer an engine from the very beginning and simply change settings to unlock more HP, than it is to keep changing the engine year to year.

So my guess? 435hp / 405 lbs ft of torque. Max potential of 455hp / 415 lbs ft. Direct injection (if the pics I saw of the engine cutaway were real) would bump the power up even more, and I don't expect to see this until the new Camaro is released.

Of course I'm just making half-assed guesses here.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
It could be that way though.... look at the 2015 audi tt. 211hp and 275tq even though it is a turbo

You hit the nail on the head with the turbo comment. Most stock forced air (boosted) engines have a higher torque value than their horsepower. Blown engines make torque easy. A NA DOHC 5.0 Coyote is never going to be a torque monster unless they make some drastic changes to it. Can it put out big torque numbers, sure, turbo or supercharge it. I'm coming from the higher displacement, OHV LS engine family in my vehicles. 5.7 and 6.0 liters and easy for those to make torque. Both my engines have factory stock torque numbers higher than HP numbers. Pretty much every GM V8 is that way and same with the OHV Hemi engines from Dodge. Lower displacement DOHC V8's like the Coyote and BMW's are meant to breath better up top, hence higher HP values and lower torque numbers. I'm sure you knew of this but its always good to check. :) Of course strap a blower to it and tune it for what you want. I won't be surprised at all if the 2.3 EB numbers turn out with a higher torque number than the HP number. Wait and see. ;)

Sponsored

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
You hit the nail on the head with the turbo comment. Most stock forced air (boosted) engines have a higher torque value than their horsepower. Blown engines make torque easy. A NA DOHC 5.0 Coyote is never going to be a torque monster unless they make some drastic changes to it. Can it put out big torque numbers, sure, turbo or supercharge it.
Right... DOHC engines do well with torque, but not like an OHV, let alone a turbocharged or even supercharged engine of the same size and design.

I'm coming from the higher displacement, OHV LS engine family in my vehicles. 5.7 and 6.0 liters and easy for those to make torque. Both my engines have factory stock torque numbers higher than HP numbers. Pretty much every GM V8 is that way and same with the OHV Hemi engines from Dodge.
Again, right... as did the Ford OHV engines like the 302(215/300 wasn't out of the question) or 351 of any variant.

Lower displacement DOHC V8's like the Coyote and BMW's are meant to breath better up top, hence higher HP values and lower torque numbers. I'm sure you knew of this but its always good to check. :) Of course strap a blower to it and tune it for what you want. I won't be surprised at all if the 2.3 EB numbers turn out with a higher torque number than the HP number. Wait and see. ;)
All DOHC engines essentially face the exact same scenario and it's really just as simple as it sounds... they breathe much better up top where the HP is, but not so well down low. That's part of the new stuff Ford is adding, apparently in hopes of getting enough low end grunt to call it better.:thumbsup:

That said, 5.5L and larger DOHC's can get really strong torque as well as power.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
That said, 5.5L and larger DOHC's can get really strong torque as well as power.
You pretty well described my dream S550 Mach 1 Mustang engine. ;)

jimmythepage666

zoom zoom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sean
Vehicle(s)
Subaru wrx
so what is going to happen when you pit the S197 against the S550 both stock performance packages, let's say one was actually heavier (S550) than the other and the S550 winds up winning... what will you say after that?????

I would say the s550 must have a nice hp bump over the s197. Here's a vid of a s197 5.0 going 12.6 completely stock.

How much of a beating are we talking about here? On cloud 9 we believe a beating of at least .3 to .4 in the 1/4.

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
I'm going to retract my previous euphoric guesses and come back to reality, as my previous guess was a very enthusiastic and hopeful one.

No less than 440hp and no more than 450hp. For TQ, I can see 400 minimum being a goal of Ford's. Anything more than 410 tq might be a stretch though.

alexyardigans

Threads
Reaction score
I'm going to retract my previous euphoric guesses and come back to reality, as my previous guess was a very enthusiastic and hopeful one.

No less than 440hp and no more than 450hp. For TQ, I can see 400 minimum being a goal of Ford's. Anything more than 410 tq might be a stretch though.
The fact ford is stating > 420hp is all i need to hear. 450 is my guess with all the technical improvements to an already great coyote engine!

Can't wait for my 2015.
Sponsored