GT500 vs ZLE

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Sitting low is fine. Having poor visibility is a different issue. And please don't play it off. Every single review of the Camaro complains about how the Camaro has poor visibility and a bunker like interior. My own personal experience with the car is the same. I know you can get used to it, but it is what it is. It's a design choice and I guarantee you there are people who wanted to buy the car and did not for this reason alone. No matter how good the performance.
For this reason alone, I'd never buy this gen Camaro. Zero chance, even if it DID beat a GT500 in every metric.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
You know what would make the GT500 really cool? A manual. But for some reason Ford decided nobody wants that.
It's already slow enough. Why make it slower?

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The rest wouldn't though. All we'd hear are complaints about missed shifts due to lockout, etc. Not any more.:)

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Exactly the case... but I do love the multiple LOSSES that the GT500 is getting when racing the ZLE!! It sends all the blue oval fanbois into a frenzy!!! :crackup: Especially when you figured the ZLE is $55K for low mile used all day... and sub $65K new... taking it to the $100K 2 seat mustang. :punch:

While I might consider a CFTP car when they get a bit more reasonable... the blindness and lack of respect to 'other car makes' in here is 2nd to none. :yawn: Well... maybe it's 2nd to Camaro based on the skid pad and handling tests! :cwl:

Dave
Honestly, speaking for myself its about poor journalism. There is no disrespect for the 1LE, its a fantastic car and extremely capable. But, if you look at the fact the C8 with handling package lost to the GT500 base at VIR by 1.2 seconds, this test makes zero sense. So, your now telling me the C8 is slower then the 1LE by more than 4 seconds at VIR because that's how much faster the CF GT500 was then the C8.

waterman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZLE, 2013 Honda Si, Grandad's 67 C2 L89
Tob: Personally, I'll take that amount of "slow" any time. :-)
That's what I miss most about my GT350. A MAJOR heel punch on the go pedal to keep the revs over 6K when downshifting.

Although it's not as critical in a car with big TQ levels, it sure puts a smile on your face when all of the tumblers fall perfectly into place.

That ethereal connection with my machine is what I'll miss most when the manuals go away.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
Honestly, speaking for myself its about poor journalism. There is no disrespect for the 1LE, its a fantastic car and extremely capable. But, if you look at the fact the C8 with handling package lost to the GT500 base at VIR by 1.2 seconds, this test makes zero sense. So, your now telling me the C8 is slower then the 1LE by more than 4 seconds at VIR because that's how much faster the CF GT500 was then the C8.
The 1le was 4 sec faster then c7z51 at LS, and the C8 is about 1 sec faster then c7. LS is a smaller and tighter track. So I would say the 1le at vir full would put a hurtling on a C8 z51.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The 1le was 4 sec faster then c7z51 at LS, and the C8 is about 1 sec faster then c7. LS is a smaller and tighter track. So I would say the 1le at vir full would put a hurtling on a C8 z51.
Would love to see this comparison, Although I doubt Chevy would want to see it. Curious who the driver was at LS

Sponsored

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would love to see this comparison, Although I doubt Chevy would want to see it. Curious who the driver was at LS
Pobst did both, just different days. That was also the 6 speed. Randy has shown to be quicker in the a10.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Pobst did both, just different days. That was also the 6 speed. Randy has shown to be quicker in the a10.
Different days pretty much negates the comparison. I ran my FR500C at Road America, Same car, same driver, Same everything but different days. 4 second difference. Has to be same day, same driver to be valid in my opinion.

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Different days pretty much negates the comparison. I ran my FR500C at Road America, Same car, same driver, Same everything but different days. 4 second difference. Has to be same day, same driver to be valid in my opinion.
I agree, but that is all we got. But the 1le times are more in line with z06. I still feel the 1le would have no problem beating the C8 z51. And to go buy what you said, the gt500 and C8 were also different days.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I agree, but that is all we got. But the 1le times are more in line with z06. I still feel the 1le would have no problem beating the C8 z51. And to go buy what you said, the gt500 and C8 were also different days.
The Motorrend test was different days?

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Motorrend test was different days?
Yes. They both had individual test, then they just used material of both to make another article comparing numbers.
Sponsored