Sponsored

GT500 - Power or Weight?

What would make for the best performing car? Power or Weight?

• 650hp & 3,640lbs

Votes: 50 37.9%
  • 675hp & 3,780lbs

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • 700hp & 3,920lbs

Votes: 16 12.1%
  • 725hp & 4,060lbs

Votes: 32 24.2%
  • 750hp & 4,200lbs

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 775hp & 4,340lbs

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 800hp & 4,480lbs

Votes: 8 6.1%

• Total voters

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
The DCT alone is 86lbs or so heavier that the 3160 lightweight model in the 350.

Wheels, brakes, tires, rear axles, thicker antiroll bars, potentially strengthened steel differential pumpkin cover. I’d say another 50-60 pounds there.

Blower, coolers, fluids, plumbing. Add another 125-150.

I believe the cross plane 5.2 is also slightly heavier than the FPC equivalent.

Larger diameter exhaust, manifolds. Add another 10 pounds.

Not sure if they had to add additional chassis reinforcement or not. Guess no.

All in all I can see 300+ pounds over and above a track pack 350. 4100# at least.

Hopefully an R at 3950-4000, but that’s the best we’ll likely see. I hope I’m wrong :(

Edit: add another 10-15 lbs for the emergency brake calipers, pads and linkages. Secondary calipers the 350 doesn’t have.
You just killed the vibe but you're right, it would make sense that the GT500 weighs around 4100lb.
Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Can I have a 650hp & 3,500 lb car ?

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I don't think the CPC will weigh more than the FPC engine. I am thinking the CPC will have a lighter crankshaft. The FPC has balance shafts that add weight. The super charger weight will add to the total weight of the CPC, but we don't know how much the SC weighs. So, the CPC with the SC may weigh only 20 more pounds than a FPC.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
You can...unfortunately it only has 2 seats and sits about 3 inches off the ground. it goes by the name Corvette.
Haha my base weighs 3500#'s now.. still looks 100% stock, haven't even went to lighter wheel/tire combo yet. But i sit a lil higher then 3" lol

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't think the CPC will weigh more than the FPC engine. I am thinking the CPC will have a lighter crankshaft. The FPC has balance shafts that add weight. The super charger weight will add to the total weight of the CPC, but we don't know how much the SC weighs. So, the CPC with the SC may weigh only 20 more pounds than a FPC.
Why would the CPC crankshaft be lighter? Didn't Ford engineers say that the Voodoo crankshaft is lighter than the Coyote's because the Coyote is a CPC and they tend to be heavier? Do you think that a crank designed for a supercharger belt might need to be stronger, hence heavier than a crank for an NA engine? Do you think a crank for a higher HP engine might have to be stronger?

Balance shafts? What engine has balance shafts?

Don't you think a car with boost will tend to have heavier pistons than a car with an 8,250 rpm redline?

I disagree with everything in your post, but please educate me if I have something incorrect here.

Last edited:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
Don't you all think Ford engineers will use all the knowledge they have gained in building the FPC and previous CPC engines to make the GT500 CPC V8 as light as possible ? I do.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Don't you all think Ford engineers will use all the knowledge they have gained in building the FPC and previous CPC engines to make the GT500 CPC V8 as light as possible ? I do.
Of course they will, but that doesn't translate into the GT500 CPC V8 being lighter than the Voodoo.

Maybe they will make the GT500 another FPC to keep the crank light, but my belief is that the GT500 will have a CPC, which requires larger counterweights. I also believe the GT500 will have a blower, which will require a stronger, heavier crank (given similar material construction). I also believe the GT500 pistons will be heavier than the GT350's.

Sponsored

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
Nah! I don't think ford is out to redesign this whole car for an outgoing platform. They are going to use what they already know and have and make it work. Example, the headlights they didn't want to create a new support so they just used the one in the GT350 and thus we get the old style lights. I get it.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
It doesn’t actually work like that. If the ‘base’ design is a cpc coyote then it won’t have lightweighting. So I heard the block will be gen 3 coyote and the valve train and heads, top end etc will be gen 2. It sounds like a Frankenstein engine. It won’t be the newest DI/PI either from what I know. Just port injection.

More new technology omitted from the halo car lol. :hail:

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
It doesn’t actually work like that. If the ‘base’ design is a cpc coyote then it won’t have lightweighting. So I heard the block will be gen 3 coyote and the valve train and heads, top end etc will be gen 2. It sounds like a Frankenstein engine. It won’t be the newest DI/PI either from what I know. Just port injection.

More new technology omitted from the halo car lol. :hail:
They need to save it for later :lol:

Also, maybe the budged didn't let them (right now).

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
This is completely inaccurate. The FPC Voodoo does not use a balance shaft. The FPC 5.2 crank is lighter than the 5.0 crank.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
As I recall, Ford uses the term torsional dampers to reduce the vibration associated with the FPC.
Sponsored