GT350R Hood Struts

Mikefd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2004 mystichrome cobra, 20 twister orange350R
installed the MRT hood struts today. excellent (excellent) quality, easy install, no cutting battery cover. i did remove the "MRT" stickers for a more OEM look. did a quick 4 minute video too...

20200223_165338ed.jpg
20200223_165257ed.jpg
Excellent video - love the YouTube channel always professional in your videos and to the point
Sponsored

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
I'm keeping original. I don't open hood so often like my office door. Don't see a good reason why should I change.
For the few times I open my hood, it is WAY easier with the struts. I barely lift the front and it effortlessly slides open... :sunglasses:

For the price of these cars, they really should have installed them from the factory!

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
For the few times I open my hood, it is WAY easier with the struts. I barely lift the front and it effortlessly slides open... :sunglasses:

For the price of these cars, they really should have installed them from the factory!
Agreed. But, it's cool to have naturally aspirated engine, manual transmission and old fashioned hood holder.:thumbsup:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
installed the MRT hood struts today. excellent (excellent) quality, easy install, no cutting battery cover. i did remove the "MRT" stickers for a more OEM look. did a quick 4 minute video too...

20200223_165338ed.jpg
20200223_165257ed.jpg
Did you get a sense of how easily the stickers could peel off?

Looks good BTW!

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get a sense of how easily the stickers could peel off?

Looks good BTW!
thanks jim. the stickers peeled off pretty easily. each letter is its own as well as the "white flag" pieces, so in that sense you had to work on each one separately; it wasnt just one whole decal that peeled away. funny though that i had just cut my nails the day before, so i had to call my wife out and she helped me remove most of them. probably took 3-4 mins total.

Sponsored

JZTRK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R''Ken'' 2016 GT350 2020 GT "Mollie"
I like the fact that mrt is no drill but when looking at both installs the red line looks cleaner not as bulky. maybe just me but my attention was drawn straight to the wrench marks on the bolts it looks molested like body damage repair

FatThigh

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
First Name
Hugh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
When I installed my Redline Tuning Hood struts they require you to remove one of the painted hood bolts... I put scotch tape on the bolts to protect the finish while I took them on and off.

that way you really can’t even tell the shocks didn’t come on the car...

CRisolvato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
(1st car, long gone) '86 5.0 GT Jalapeno red. '20 HEP-R. The other cars don't really matter.
thanks jim. the stickers peeled off pretty easily.
In your YouTube video regarding your MRT struts, you commented on having an issue and struggling with MRT getting it resolved. My question is squarely about which strut is the best built, easiest to use, and requires the least modification to the car (drilling/tapping holes). Some reviews mention the MRT being loose, while others talk about drilling the body for Redline. You have the MRT...Satisfied? I am ordering some minorly important items for the car I hope to bring home soon, and struts are on that list, plus jacking rails.

Thanks,

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
In your YouTube video regarding your MRT struts, you commented on having an issue and struggling with MRT getting it resolved. My question is squarely about which strut is the best built, easiest to use, and requires the least modification to the car (drilling/tapping holes). Some reviews mention the MRT being loose, while others talk about drilling the body for Redline. You have the MRT...Satisfied? I am ordering some minorly important items for the car I hope to bring home soon, and struts are on that list, plus jacking rails.

Thanks,
the MRT struts don't require any modification of the battery cover. it did misalign the hood a little bit but I swapped sides and it's better now. all this to say I did not have a good experience with MRT customer service. I personally will not buy from them again. but the struts themselves are working out fine right now. I think the red line are more popular and probably just as good.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
I have a set of the Redlines in hand, just need time to put them on. I had redlines on my 2014 GT500 and had no issues with them or the hood. I couldn't find it, my mod list, but I'm pretty sure I had MRT struts on my 2012 5.0. I didn't have an issue with either set.

I went with Redline again, only because as someone else mentioned a cleaner look and a much easier install than the MRT. Granted you have to drill a hole in the battery box top, but I don't know if it's just CJ Pony Parts, but you get a drill bit for the hole you need to drill in the battery box. Watching the video from CJ the drilling seems pretty straight forward; Redline provides the template and pretty clear instructions on the install and where to mark and drill the hole.

I'll post pics and experience with the install when I get it done.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I have a set of the Redlines in hand, just need time to put them on. I had redlines on my 2014 GT500 and had no issues with them or the hood. I couldn't find it, my mod list, but I'm pretty sure I had MRT struts on my 2012 5.0. I didn't have an issue with either set.

I went with Redline again, only because as someone else mentioned a cleaner look and a much easier install than the MRT. Granted you have to drill a hole in the battery box top, but I don't know if it's just CJ Pony Parts, but you get a drill bit for the hole you need to drill in the battery box. Watching the video from CJ the drilling seems pretty straight forward; Redline provides the template and pretty clear instructions on the install and where to mark and drill the hole.

I'll post pics and experience with the install when I get it done.
Had redlines on my first car. Never had a problem with them. Initially went with MRTs on my current car. They were bulky and caused the hood to become misaligned. Took them off and replaced with Redlines. Happy again.

If you're careful when you drill the in the battery cover it'll look like it was made that way. You might also consider cutting a slit from the hole to the edge so you can take the cover off without removing the struts. The slit will not show.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Had redlines on my first car. Never had a problem with them. Initially went with MRTs on my current car. They were bulky and caused the hood to become misaligned. Took them off and replaced with Redlines. Happy again.

If you're careful when you drill the in the battery cover it'll look like it was made that way. You might also consider cutting a slit from the hole to the edge so you can take the cover off without removing the struts. The slit will not show.
Forgot about the slit. Good call.

ABADHBT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Iconic Silver
Vehicle Showcase
Took care of this quick mod today (Redline Hood Strut Kit QuickLIFT), took me about 45 mins, give or take. The directions are pretty straight forward and you can also follow allowing with the installation video from CJ Pony Parts (). Didn’t come across any issues, I like the fasteners for the battery cover, first time dealing with this style. Oh and I did that scotch tape trick that FatThigh mentioned. Worked out well, never would have thought of that.

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg
IMG_2665.jpg
IMG_2669.jpg
IMG_2668.jpg
IMG_2667.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg

Last edited: