Sponsored

Gt350 vs Porsche

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Mine might only be a 986, but I appreciate them all - I was even admiring some Camaros at a car show this weekend. I liked the way their strut towers were cast, with stiffening ribs, not just formed sheet metal. However, the folks I spoke with said Chevy is having major problems with their differentials, with the independent suspension.
Nothing wrong with a 986... :cheers: Mine is the last year of the non-stability control, non-traction control, non-glass rear window (i.e. lighter) top, 1st-gen Boxsters. My GT350 is unquestionably faster and quicker, but I suspect I'll hurt some feelings here if I'm truthful about which car is actually more fun to drive. ;)
Sponsored

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Nothing wrong with a 986... :cheers: Mine is the last year of the non-stability control, non-glass rear window (i.e. lighter) top, 1st-gen Boxsters. My GT350 is unquestionably faster and quicker, but I suspect I'll hurt some feelings here if I'm truthful about which car is actually more fun to drive. ;)
I concur; and the steering! Seems one can extract more of the 986 capabilities on the street more safely, which makes if very fun to drive. The GT350 is, dare I say, too capable for the street.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The answer to these types of questions are usually: "If you don't know: the cheaper one. If you have the money: both."

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Sorry, I didn't mean to kill the thread. I figured it was the easiest way to solve the OP's problem.

Personally, I'm trying *really* hard not to buy an 987.2 2.9L they have at a local dealership.

Porsches keep their value quite well so you could try ownership.

I went base GT because it's almost disposable at the price. I drive it hard. The car scares me sometimes (numb at the limit, weight, power, etc.) and I've never quite had that same feeling in a Porsche.

For me, a blown GT350 would be ideal so I can put the CPC version of the engine when it finally gets released..

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Yup. Like I said, many Porsche guys love the GT350 and what it brings to the table... and I personally witness this kind of 'admiration-phenomenon' monthly at the tracks in FL from Porsche folks who don't even care to visit the online forums. From many Porsche owners' ages as well... young ones to veteran track rats well into their 60's and 70's who still hit the circuits for fun. :D

Porsches and Shelbys get along more often than not... two different types of cars and both are fun & fast. Here's some of us appreciating each other's rides... :cheers:

34951624736_d2b3089928_c.jpg
Yup, Porsches and Ford Shelbys get along quite well. One of the reasons I love both is their racing heritage. Not to mention that both have sported my favorite racing livery of all time, the John Wyer Gulf colors worn by the legendary GT40s and 917s. The former winning Le Mans in real life, but the latter is perhaps more famous for winning in the "movie".
:first:

Plus they both have a common nemesis in Ferrari. ;)
:ford:

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I went base GT because it's almost disposable at the price. I drive it hard. The car scares me sometimes (numb at the limit, weight, power, etc.) and I've never quite had that same feeling in a Porsche.
I have to agree with this. Now that I'm starting to open my GT up a bit more it's revealed just how "broken" the suspension is. Not at all confidence inspiring. I assume once I fix it with the parts I have that it will be a gem. My GT3 was always on edge at the limit and you knew there was a big penalty to pay for getting it wrong, but at least it was predictable. The GT not at all in stock form with its wobbly rubber everywhere.

Owners of GT350/R...what do the cars feel like at the limit? Is the handling predictable, edgy, numb at the limit? I'd love to know.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree with this. Now that I'm starting to open my GT up a bit more it's revealed just how "broken" the suspension is. Not at all confidence inspiring. I assume once I fix it with the parts I have that it will be a gem. My GT3 was always on edge at the limit and you knew there was a big penalty to pay for getting it wrong, but at least it was predictable. The GT not at all in stock form with its wobbly rubber everywhere.

Owners of GT350/R...what do the cars feel like at the limit? Is the handling predictable, edgy, numb at the limit? I'd love to know.
If you are in Australia, you never going to know, isn't it ? I mean you drive at speed limit over there with fear of death in your soul (and speed limit is 40 miles/hour or 55 outside city limits ) , and you never speed. So unless you track it, what are you talking about "edges" on an american forum? I am aussie btw, and one of the reasons I left Australia is that. Motoring. Just Sucks.In that country ( like many other things ) . Ok, Mate?

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
If you are in Australia, you never going to know, isn't it ? I mean you drive at speed limit over there with fear of death in your soul (and speed limit is 40 miles/hour or 55 outside city limits ) , and you never speed. So unless you track it, what are you talking about "edges" on an american forum? I am aussie btw, and one of the reasons I left Australia is that. Motoring. Just Sucks.In that country ( like many other things ) . Ok, Mate?
HAHA very true. Owned the car 4 weeks and already one speeding fine...$226 for driving 9 kms (5 miles) over the limit. And it wasn't even a cop, it was a cheating fixed speed camera at an intersection. Luckily I am a track rat so I still get my fix when I need it. Also my wife is American so there is light at the end of the tunnel for me...who knows, I might even be able to own that 350R one day and experience it for myself (without the fear of being subjected to blatant revenue raising operations). I digress, but it's the truth!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

If you think the Mustang GT has broken suspension I don't think you will especially like the GT350. They are similar - the main difference is the GT350 has more tire and firmer suspension. Don't get me wrong, more tire and firmer suspension is a big improvement, but the suspension geometry and basic chassis of the car is the same (not identical, but very very similar).

If it isn't clear, I think you are completely wrong in saying that the GT suspension is broken. I think it's a great car and comes alive on the road course. I have found it to be very confidence inspiring and predictable at the limit.

F0J

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
François
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Haha I got my first speedie last week :(

The way I describe it that the Porsche is like making love to your wife: you know what to expect and it starts and ends in predictable ways.

The Mustang is like making love to a cheap hooker: haha well lets just say more dramatic.

But that's what I like about the car. In this golden age of sports cars, the Mustang is a cheap, relatively raw, package that has alot more potential than it should.

On the base GT suspension you just have to be *reaaaallly* easy on the inputs. I was trying to explain to a fellow track dude why driving through a fast kink was the scariest part of the track: it need a rather sudden steering change and I didn't have the balls to do it at 10/10ths. Rear end needs more spring, and it loads wierd in stock form.

But even then, going easy on the brakes and steering non-aggressively, I still put in some very fast laps compared to much more prepared cars.

I'd imagine the GT350's chassis is a little more sorted. I would have bought one if it wasn't for the markups and the fact that this GT was about 6,500CAD under MSRP.
Sponsored