Sponsored

Ford Mustang GT350 VS. Porsche 911 GT3

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Sold my 2015 GT3 for my GT350. Very different cars but push the same buttons for different reasons.. Prefer the GT350 :thumbsup:
Whoa! I'm not sure I could do this if I were in a similar predicament. From your personal experience, can you elaborate how very different? A GT3 car is still one of my future wish list of cars to attain... I'm actually waiting to see what the 991.2 iteration will be. :cheers:

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
I also had a '11 GT3. Prefer the GT350.
Wow! When I hear the GT350 is more fun than the new 2015 PDK GT3 i'm not surprised - but to hear someone likes it better than the 997.2 GT3 with a 6 speed manual - quite possibly the greatest Porsche ever built - well that's saying something.

I will say the GT350 next to my 997S - the GT350 feels like the supercar in the garage - and the Porsche very much the sports car. Love them both - but when I want more of an event out of the driving experience of course I choose the Shelby.

Sponsored

porkified

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Porsches to me just seem like snob mobiles that the country club boys buy to keep up with the Joneses.

porkified

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Sorry you feel that way about one of the best driving machines :D
No Man, right with you on the driving machine part. I had the opportunity to take a good drive in a used '13 Boxster S, PDK. Wow, what a car. Never drove anything that could corner like that and no slouch on acceleration either. 0-60 was right now. Felt like a sub 13 second car, very nice interior also. Loved the car. Obviously not a GT3 but very impressive for an entry level offering for sure.

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
Wow! When I hear the GT350 is more fun than the new 2015 PDK GT3 i'm not surprised - but to hear someone likes it better than the 997.2 GT3 with a 6 speed manual - quite possibly the greatest Porsche ever built - well that's saying something.

I will say the GT350 next to my 997S - the GT350 feels like the supercar in the garage - and the Porsche very much the sports car. Love them both - but when I want more of an event out of the driving experience of course I choose the Shelby.
My GT3 was such a focused machine. It rewarded a driver with very precise skills. When you got it right there was nothing like it. But if you didn't rev match correctly, corner entry was perhaps a bit off or not weighted correctly etc it just felt scalpel sharp and not forgiving. Surface street driving the GT3 more often than not was frustrating.

The GT350 by comparison is just a brute. I feel like I can beat on it (I don't) and if I'm a little sloppy it doesn't care all that much. The GT3 felt like it would break if I got it wrong lol. And servicing a Porsche is a blatant ripoff.

Now as far as the company is concerned, Porsche (and VW as a whole) actively tries to deny warranty. The DME is there for this reason, they deny the coolant hoses are an issue, centerlocks, earlier cars with IMS issue, the DRC suspension on my old RS4 etc. If they want me to pay a premium for their products, imo their warranty needs to be iron clad. Unfortunately the Germans are very stingy.

Porsches to me just seem like snob mobiles that the country club boys buy to keep up with the Joneses.
I can't deny that this was another reason to not be associated. I'm not a guy that looks down their nose at others. Not saying that all or even the majority of Porsche owners are this way but whenever I see a guy driving one, well lol.

Last edited:

La8apx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350
Whoa! I'm not sure I could do this if I were in a similar predicament. From your personal experience, can you elaborate how very different? A GT3 car is still one of my future wish list of cars to attain... I'm actually waiting to see what the 991.2 iteration will be. :cheers:
Best way I can describe the differences.

GT3 is a scalpel
GT350 is a white hot butter knife..:headbonk:
With the exception of the PDK I loved the Porsche. It is such a focused track machine which requires a lot of driver skill to drive at 10/10ths, but always felt as it was at that fine edge of loosing it all. The problem with that is it does not make a very enjoyable street car for the occasional spirited drive in the hills since you can never truly find its limits. I have three race cars which do a fine job at scratching my Go Fast itch and I get to compete at the same time. If I wasn't racing and still enjoyed track days, it would probably still be in my garage.

The 350 is more rewarding at the limit on the track and is more enjoyable to Hoon around off the track. It has a Good soundtrack.

Believe the only thing that I will miss with my GT3 is 9,000 right behind my head

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Best way I can describe the differences.

GT3 is a scalpel
GT350 is a white hot butter knife..:headbonk:
With the exception of the PDK I loved the Porsche. It is such a focused track machine which requires a lot of driver skill to drive at 10/10ths, but always felt as it was at that fine edge of loosing it all. The problem with that is it does not make a very enjoyable street car for the occasional spirited drive in the hills since you can never truly find its limits. I have three race cars which do a fine job at scratching my Go Fast itch and I get to compete at the same time. If I wasn't racing and still enjoyed track days, it would probably still be in my garage.

The 350 is more rewarding at the limit on the track and is more enjoyable to Hoon around off the track. It has a Good soundtrack.

Believe the only thing that I will miss with my GT3 is 9,000 right behind my head
Nice sig of Sonoma in the background!

Would love to see some videos of the GT350 at Sonoma, you have a go pro right? Between Sonoma and Laguna, my favorite track is sonoma. My brother has been able to click off 1:47's in a 125cc shifter kart on that track, sports car config.

La8apx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350

Would love to see some videos of the GT350 at Sonoma, you have a go pro right? Between Sonoma and Laguna, my favorite track is sonoma. My brother has been able to click off 1:47's in a 125cc shifter kart on that track, sports car config.
Might be able to drag it out to Sears Point on a test day.. I have a few coming up. I have been able to crack off 46-47's in my Spec Mustang in the Sports car config. My GTS car will be in the 30's. gopro's for the street cars and AIM data/camera's for the race cars.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

If your wondering why I am replying to such an old thread, just got an opportunity to purchase a 15 GT3. Was scouring the forum because I knew their was discussion in comparing the two cars. I own an base R. Always wanted to own a 911. In particular a GT3. will be negotiating trade in value of the R and price of the GT3. Currently asking 137k. I drive some street and track, about 60/40. I love the feel of the R on the streets and even more so on the track. On the street with the CF wheels and the SC2's it is ridiculous. Would you say its worth a trade or keep the R and save my money LOL. I don't have money burning a whole in my pocket but the GT3 seems nuts.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
If your wondering why I am replying to such an old thread, just got an opportunity to purchase a 15 GT3. Was scouring the forum because I knew their was discussion in comparing the two cars. I own an base R. Always wanted to own a 911. In particular a GT3. will be negotiating trade in value of the R and price of the GT3. Currently asking 137k. I drive some street and track, about 60/40. I love the feel of the R on the streets and even more so on the track. On the street with the CF wheels and the SC2's it is ridiculous. Would you say its worth a trade or keep the R and save my money LOL. I don't have money burning a whole in my pocket but the GT3 seems nuts.
Talk to @Bossing who has owned a 991.1 GT3, 991.2 GT3, 987 GT4, GT350, and GT350R.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I drove a newer GT3 at exotics racing in Vegas, and it was a very fun car on their small track (even with instructors yelling at you to shift at 8000 RPM). Very sharp handling, tons of front-end grip, always felt planted. I also drove a Ferrari 458 and Lambo Huracan. I was fastest in the GT3 by about a second. It is very easy to drive fast.

The interior is pretty much the same as the one in a Cayman or any other modern Porsche. It's definitely nice, but nothing very exciting about it. I didn't drive it on the street of course, so I don't know how exciting it would be just driving around town. One thing the GT350 does very well is to feel special even when going slow.

I do think you could get in a GT3 and then get out of it without losing much money, so if you did end up deciding it wasn't a good fit then you probably wouldn't be out much. Of course you could always spend a couple grand at Exotics Racing and try one out. I think I spent about $2000 for 10 laps in the GT3, 458, Huracan, and 5 laps in a Cayman GTS. Expensive for sure, but much less than buying the "wrong" car.

-T
Sponsored