Sponsored

Ford Mustang GT350 VS. Porsche 911 GT3

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The GT3 definitely has a lot of mechanical grip and it's relatively easy to drive fast. I would say around a track it's roughly on par with a GT350 as far as speed. The model I drove had a DCT (yawn), which I would not be interested in at all.. My comparison of the GT350 vs. GT3 is colored to a degree by that. I didn't drive the GT3 and GT350 on the same track same day back to back, but I had owned the GT350, daily driven it for almost a year and been to the track with it before I drove the GT3 on track. I also had my GT350 track attack 2 days after driving the GT3 on track, so I think I got a good comparison. Ergonomics and driving position in the GT3 were good, and I'm a relatively large person. Engine sounds - IMO not nearly as good as the GT350, but pretty good.

Porsche is definitely not a performance bargain, but they do perform very well if the high cost to purchase and maintain is not a concern. I don't care much about panel fit or interior quality, so for me there's not much of a reason to buy the Porsche over the GT350. I'm pretty much all about performance for the dollar, which IMO the GT350 excels at.
Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Always dabbled with the idea of a Porsche. I could never afford a new one mind you. Kind of changed this year at a track weekend at Road America. The group that joined us was very uppity. I followed a GT3 for many laps. He would pull me down the straights but, I would catch up and be all over his rear in the rest of the course. So much so he received the move over flag every lap. There was no way he was going to let A Mustang by him. (this was my race car, not my 350) But, that didn't bother me as much as the attitude of the entire group. Sever passes under yellow and under the white/red cross flags. Usually RA doesn't put up with this behavior and I know the group was talked to but, they were allowed to remain. For me, a car is not only about the performance and looks, its about the group you associate with, Im not saying all Porsche owners are bad but, it did leave an impression on me. But then again, I like being the underdog :)

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
GT350 is the most daily drivable N/A I have driven. A lot of torque in dd rpm band vs gt3 (997/991) or m3 (e92). GT3 would be no fun to daily drive.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
If your wondering why I am replying to such an old thread, just got an opportunity to purchase a 15 GT3. Was scouring the forum because I knew their was discussion in comparing the two cars. I own an base R. Always wanted to own a 911. In particular a GT3. will be negotiating trade in value of the R and price of the GT3. Currently asking 137k. I drive some street and track, about 60/40. I love the feel of the R on the streets and even more so on the track. On the street with the CF wheels and the SC2's it is ridiculous. Would you say its worth a trade or keep the R and save my money LOL. I don't have money burning a whole in my pocket but the GT3 seems nuts.
Keep the R, buy the GT3.

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Harold, let us know if you pull the trigger. I’d love to hear your thoughts. I personally would love to have a new GT3 Touring sitting in the garage, but I’m more interested in paying off the mortgage first.

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Talk to @Bossing who has owned a 991.1 GT3, 991.2 GT3, 987 GT4, GT350, and GT350R.
All of the above is correct except I didn't own a .1 GT3 but I know it's still a great car.

t's probably just a typo but the GT4 is actually a 981 chassis.... there was no 987 GT4.

If your wondering why I am replying to such an old thread, just got an opportunity to purchase a 15 GT3. Was scouring the forum because I knew their was discussion in comparing the two cars. I own an base R. Always wanted to own a 911. In particular a GT3. will be negotiating trade in value of the R and price of the GT3. Currently asking 137k. I drive some street and track, about 60/40. I love the feel of the R on the streets and even more so on the track. On the street with the CF wheels and the SC2's it is ridiculous. Would you say its worth a trade or keep the R and save my money LOL. I don't have money burning a whole in my pocket but the GT3 seems nuts.
If you can swing it, keep the R and add a GT3... even a 991.1 GT3 is a fantastic car for both street & track use.

But IMHO, if only one is possible then the GT3 hands down all day everyday especially if it's the latest 9K rpm 4.0 like in the current .2 GT3 and GT3RS. The GT350R is excellent but not in the level of a GT3/GT3RS.... my opinion. In fairness though the R is still a great buy for the $ so if money is a major deciding factor then save 70K++ and just stick with an R.

Last edited:

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
All of the above is correct except I didn't own a .1 GT3 but I know it's still a great car.

t's probably just a typo but the GT4 is actually a 981 chassis.... there was no 987 GT4.

If you can swing it, keep the R and add a GT3... even a 991.1 GT3 is a fantastic car for both street & track use.

But IMHO, if only one is possible then the GT3 hands down all day everyday especially if it's the latest 9K rpm 4.0 like in the current .2 GT3 and GT3RS. The GT350R is excellent but not in the level of a GT3/GT3RS.... my opinion. In fairness though the R is still a great buy for the $ so if money is a major deciding factor then save 70K++ and just stick with an R.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
I’m a Mustang guy all the way but the second dumbest automotive decision I’ve made was selling my Minerva Blue 996 GT3. GT3’s with a proper shifter are pretty much the most awesome thing on 4 wheels to drive.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
GT3 has no back seat....
Yup always was and just like other 911 GT-variants such as the GT3RS, GT2, GT2RS.... and just like the GT350-R.

I know I mentioned this in an older thread awhile ago but other 911-chassis GT3 cars are arguably just as desirable. The 996 is an unsung hero and still a fairly good value plus any 997 GT3 (both .1 and .2) are just as sublime and frankly more analog (more raw) than the current 991-series. Reason being is that the 996 and 997 GT-specs have less nannies and most importantly they all use the venerable robust Mezger engine... a true Motorsports engine with ties to the legendary GT1 racecars.

Fast forward to today and the latest iteration of Porsche Motorsport powerplants are seen in the 991.2 GT-series (GT3 and GT3RS) which now uses the new 4.0 flat-six that is based off the GT3 Cup (and RSR) race-spec cars. Most of the high costs paid for a GT-car is primarily due to the high-revving and fast-revving highly-complex race-spec engines.

When I go to/from the R and the GT3.... the difference is remarkably significant. They're both very fun to drive so don't get me wrong but the new 4.0 flat-6 is simply amazing. What impresses me, every time, is how superbly lightning quick it revs up. It just screams hard and fast all the way to 9,000 RPM. And frankly, like the Voodoo, it wants you to always push it hard which as we all know can't be consistently sustained on public roads.

Sponsored

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Yup always was and just like other 911 GT-variants such as the GT3RS, GT2, GT2RS.... and just like the GT350-R.

I know I mentioned this in an older thread awhile ago but other 911-chassis GT3 cars are arguably just as desirable. The 996 is an unsung hero and still a fairly good value plus any 997 GT3 (both .1 and .2) are just as sublime and frankly more analog (more raw) than the current 991-series. Reason being is that the 996 and 997 GT-specs have less nannies and most importantly they all use the venerable robust Mezger engine... a true Motorsports engine with ties to the legendary GT1 racecars.

Fast forward to today and the latest iteration of Porsche Motorsport powerplants are seen in the 991.2 GT-series (GT3 and GT3RS) which now uses the new 4.0 flat-six that is based off the GT3 Cup (and RSR) race-spec cars. Most of the high costs paid for a GT-car is primarily due to the high-revving and fast-revving highly-complex race-spec engines.

When I go to/from the R and the GT3.... the difference is remarkably significant. They're both very fun to drive so don't get me wrong but the new 4.0 flat-6 is simply amazing. What impresses me, every time, is how superbly lightning quick it revs up. It just screams hard and fast all the way to 9,000 RPM. And frankly, like the Voodoo, it wants you to always push it hard which as we all know can't be consistently sustained on public roads.

GT3 is on my bucket list. I have an R and I do love it. I only track the R (member of MSR Cresson) so my interest in the GT3 is for track duty only. Isn't the biggest hurdle (besides allocation, etc) the maintenance costs? That is the part that scares me. Do you think it is 2X a 350 or more in $$'s I had a 997.1 (non GT3) I used to track and aware of the Porsche Tax but I am sure a GT3 is another level entirely. Any comments are appreciated as I will have to scratch that itch at some point. Lastly, is it better to wait for the 4.0 used market (which will be a long time) or go for a 3.8? That much different between the 2? I would take a manual or PDK so not as concerned about that.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Hmmm, my two cents. I'm a Senior Driving Instructor for Porsche NA, living in Seattle area. I drive a 17 GT350 for a reason. Until the latest iteration of the 911 emerged the 350 was faster on the track. That's where I play. I have a video on here somewhere showing how.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I am neck and neck with the talented (in advanced and then talented) gt3 drivers in my R. The gt3 defiantly gains on the straight with PDK and less weight and about the same power, but maybe 1-2 car lengths max and I’ve always been able to catch back up before the straight again. I generally seem to be able to enter corners and carry speed better, we same cup 2 tires. It’s very close always and really down to which driver wants to really push it — and this is just fun track days at 9/10ths max.

tlisotta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F80 M3; 997.1
Hmmm, my two cents. I'm a Senior Driving Instructor for Porsche NA, living in Seattle area. I drive a 17 GT350 for a reason. Until the latest iteration of the 911 emerged the 350 was faster on the track. That's where I play. I have a video on here somewhere showing how.
Are you talking about the 991.1 GT3 not as fast as a 350 at the track?
Sponsored