Sponsored

GT350 threw a wrench code during test drive??

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
I test drove a very low mileage GT350 a couple of days ago and loved it. Talked some numbers with the dealer but ultimately we were too far apart so I walked. Per usual, they called me back today willing to come down on the price. They were close enough to peak my interest so I went back to finish negotiating. I decided to drive the car again and while I was pulling off the lot a wrench icon popped up with the see manual message. The car seemed to drive fine but I didn't drive it hard because of a light rain. I asked the salesman about it and he had no clue. The car is not at a Ford dealership. I was a bit disappointed because the car looks to be in phenomenal condition. Can anyone tell me what could've caused it? Is it something simple or is this a sign that I need to walk away?
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I test drove a very low mileage GT350 a couple of days ago and loved it. Talked some numbers with the dealer but ultimately we were too far apart so I walked. Per usual, they called me back today willing to come down on the price. They were close enough to peak my interest so I went back to finish negotiating. I decided to drive the car again and while I was pulling off the lot a wrench icon popped up with the see manual message. The car seemed to drive fine but I didn't drive it hard because of a light rain. I asked the salesman about it and he had no clue. The car is not at a Ford dealership. I was a bit disappointed because the car looks to be in phenomenal condition. Can anyone tell me what could've caused it? Is it something simple or is this a sign that I need to walk away?
Do you have an OBD reader? Does the Dealer? Have them hook it up and read and look up the code(s). If it’s nothing major, use it as a bargaining chip...

OP
OP
bigmixx

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Do you have an OBD reader? Does the Dealer? Have them hook it up and read and look up the code(s). If it’s nothing major, use it as a bargaining chip...
That's what I was wondering. I don't have a reader but I'm sure the dealer does. Once it happened I just kind of got turned off about it and left. Told the salesman that I'll call him back after I did some research about the wrench code. He said it's probably nothing but again, it's not at a Ford dealership and I'm not willing to take his word for it. The last thing I want is to buy a used car and have to take it in for service the same day.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
That's what I was wondering. I don't have a reader but I'm sure the dealer does. Once it happened I just kind of got turned off about it and left. Told the salesman that I'll call him back after I did some research about the wrench code. He said it's probably nothing but again, it's not at a Ford dealership and I'm not willing to take his word for it. The last thing I want is to buy a used car and have to take it in for service the same day.
Have them get the service history too!

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigmixx

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
never buy a car without knowing what the DTCs are.
Definitely. This would be my first Mustang so I didn't know if the wrench meant something specific or if it there was something major going on. I'll find out for sure what's going on with it before I buy it.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Is there a Ford dealership near by?
I assume it’s new enough to be warrantied?
I’ve only bought a couple used cars in my days. They were either known to me or went to a trusted mechanic, usually a relative for a once over.
The wrench lite could mean an oil change is due right?
Easy to check unless someone reset it prematurely.

OP
OP
bigmixx

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Is there a Ford dealership near by?
I assume it’s new enough to be warrantied?
I’ve only bought a couple used cars in my days. They were either known to me or went to a trusted mechanic, usually a relative for a once over.
The wrench lite could mean an oil change is due right?
Easy to check unless someone reset it prematurely.
Yes there's a Ford dealership nearby and it's still under factory warranty. I called Ford and gave them the VIN and they said the bumper to bumper, powertrain, corrosion etc were all still good. I've been trying to find more info on the wrench light and from what I'm reading it can be caused by a few different things. They said they changed the oil in it so maybe they didn't reset it. We're still negotiating the price but if we make a deal it's going to contingent upon me getting it checked out by a Ford dealership.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A wrench light means there's a live malfunction happening in the car, I believe with either the ignition, transmission (not applicable here), or throttle control system. That is not to be ignored. The other issue is the light in itself is not a CEL code. But still scan it because with the wrench light can also be concurrent with a CEL stored code. A flashing light means misfire.

If I remember correctly...

Sponsored

DaveJP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Could also result from low battery voltage...Did they happen to jump start it prior to you driving it due to car sitting too long in their showroom?

OP
OP
bigmixx

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
A wrench light means there's a live malfunction happening in the car, I believe with either the ignition, transmission (not applicable here), or throttle control system. That is not to be ignored. The other issue is the light in itself is not a CEL code. But still scan it because with the wrench light can also be concurrent with a CEL stored code. A flashing light means misfire.

If I remember correctly...
Wow. That's what I was afraid of. Dang it

OP
OP
bigmixx

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
Could also result from low battery voltage...Did they happen to jump start it prior to you driving it due to car sitting too long in their showroom?
No. Not unless they did it before I got there. It only has around 6000 miles on it. It's been raining a lot here over the last few days but it should clear off tomorrow. I'm going to go look at it again tomorrow.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
I hope this turns out well for you, you’ll love the experience.

OP
OP
bigmixx

bigmixx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP2
I hope this turns out well for you, you’ll love the experience.
Thank you. I hope so. I've never been so disappointed in a car that's not mine LOL. It's just in such excellent shape.
Sponsored