Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Thanks Kelly for the support! I want to keep the magride shocks and possibly the gt350R front springs. Also thanks for pointing out your cradle bushings, that's a good thing to know about the contact area. I assumed that yours were the same as the FRPP domed shaped. I'll pm you to purchase them. Thanks.
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not totally against what you say. But I do not do hack work. I'm not some back yard toothless 1/2 ass. Their are 3 spring manufacturing businesses here in Toledo Ohio that make springs. My dad worked at one of those places years ago. It's a coil spring. It's wound to a specific rate, but it's still a full coil.
I'm not talking about the quality of the potential modification, I'm talking about the intent. The intent is a hacked up thing to do in my opinion. If it was a constant rate race spring, it's less important, on a progressive rate factory spring specifically tuned for a certain damper, it just doesn't make sense for a minor aesthetic gain.

Spending the 6.5k on the track pack, 4-4.5k of which is for the suspension alone, and then considering hacking it up is just a bit baffling to me.

But by all means, have at it, don't let the opinions of others stop your fun with the car

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I'm not talking about the quality of the potential modification, I'm talking about the intent. The intent is a hacked up thing to do in my opinion. If it was a constant rate race spring, it's less important, on a progressive rate factory spring specifically tuned for a certain damper, it just doesn't make sense for a minor aesthetic gain.

Spending the 6.5k on the track pack, 4-4.5k of which is for the suspension alone, and then considering hacking it up is just a bit baffling to me.

But by all means, have at it, don't let the opinions of others stop your fun with the car
I'm not sure what you are so bent on. They are 40 dollar springs that if they don't perform they can easily be replaced. Woopie. It's not that big of a deal to change. Don't think for one second that when the aftermarket starts making springs for this car that they are specifically tuned for these dampers. Because they are not, unless they keep the same rate. In which all they will do is make them shorter. By cutting a coil or less out of the stock spring isn't going to change the spring rate as much as you're making it out to be. Let's say I'm a spring company and took stock springs and cut a coil off of them and painted them a nice shiny color, you'd be none the wiser my friend.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
If it was a constant rate race spring, it's less important, on a progressive rate factory spring specifically tuned for a certain damper, it just doesn't make sense for a minor aesthetic gain.
Are you saying the GT350 Springs are progressive wound? :confused:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I certainly don't have any spring rate data on them, but the pictures of the components from the track tour you can see the variable coil pitch. Not a big deal considering they need to have decent street manners

Sponsored

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
I will add my two cents. I know you are looking for a "lower" look, say 1/2 to 1 inch. I too would love to see the car dropped that much; but, there may be some issues you are not taking into consideration. Personally, I do not know if the R's "heavy duty" springs are any different than the "heavy duty" springs in the track or tech equipped cars. If you look at the R's Package, it states it includes the "Track Package, which are the same springs available for non-R cars. To me, the difference you see between the ride height of the GT350 compared to the GT350r is simply the tires. There is nearly a one inch difference in tire diameter between the stock 35 ratio tires and the "R's" 30 ratio tires. I am aware that the R has "unique chassis tuning" which may also affect ride height, and/or adjust for the difference in tire diameter, but perhaps this is something you may want to consider, before you cut the springs.

G-FORCE

PATRIOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
MANY
Linear rate springs can be shortened without many adverse effects. Progressive rate springs that are shortened obviously effect initial rate. Just think about the complete suspension in terms of a system and have fun. Hell I don't care if you paint it pink and put a trailer hitch on it.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I will add my two cents. I know you are looking for a "lower" look, say 1/2 to 1 inch. I too would love to see the car dropped that much; but, there may be some issues you are not taking into consideration. Personally, I do not know if the R's "heavy duty" springs are any different than the "heavy duty" springs in the track or tech equipped cars. If you look at the R's Package, it states it includes the "Track Package, which are the same springs available for non-R cars. To me, the difference you see between the ride height of the GT350 compared to the GT350r is simply the tires. There is nearly a one inch difference in tire diameter between the stock 35 ratio tires and the "R's" 30 ratio tires. I am aware that the R has "unique chassis tuning" which may also affect ride height, and/or adjust for the difference in tire diameter, but perhaps this is something you may want to consider, before you cut the springs.
The R front springs are 240 lb/ inch. The gt350 are 194 lb/ inch. The rears are all the same. I agree about the tires. According to fords website the R is about .600 lower then the gt350. That's less then 5/8". The sway bars are the same diameter front and rear but the R sway bar links are shorter.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You can keep your rubber bushing if you like, but mine are going into the trash. If you feel so strong against modified vehicles then be happy with what you have stock.
SLOW. THE. HELL. DOWN. Comprehend what people are conveying. Please explain where I said I am against modifying my vehicles. No where. I fully plan on improving the suspension system as I find quirks and issues on the track. I also fully intend on upping the power too. I said I am against people cutting springs, not modifying vehicles. Jesus Christ...

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
SLOW. THE. HELL. DOWN. Comprehend what people are conveying. Please explain where I said I am against modifying my vehicles. No where. I fully plan on improving the suspension system as I find quirks and issues on the track. I also fully intend on upping the power too. I said I am against people cutting springs, not modifying vehicles. Jesus Christ...
I'm not the one going off here friend. Have a good day.

Sponsored

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
I have a 2016 GT350 TP
I also purchased the GT350R red Brembo calipers because they are cheaper then getting my black/gray ones Powder coated and no downtime.
How much were these, and where did you buy them? I was looking at powder coating mine but may just buy new ones if the price is right.

Thanks

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
How much were these, and where did you buy them? I was looking at powder coating mine but may just buy new ones if the price is right.

Thanks
Ford dealer. My cost on the fronts $218 each. Rear $185 each. List cost are higher.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ford dealer. My cost on the fronts $218 each. Rear $185 each. List cost are higher.
Do you have the part numbers? Those costs seem very very low, less than the rotors

GRTWHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350
The R front springs are 240 lb/ inch. The gt350 are 194 lb/ inch. The rears are all the same. I agree about the tires. According to fords website the R is about .600 lower then the gt350. That's less then 5/8".
I am not disagreeing with the spring rates, but I believe your comparison is using the "stock" or base GT350 front springs. Both the Track and Tech packages add "heavy duty springs". What I am saying, if you have the Track package, you may already have the "R's" front springs. If the springs offered in the track and tech packages are different than the "R's", then there are three different springs Ford uses on these cars - stock springs in base GT350s, heavy duty springs in GT350s equipped with the track and tech packages, and a different heavy duty spring exclusively used on the R model.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I am not disagreeing with the spring rates, but I believe your comparison is using the "stock" or base GT350 front springs. Both the Track and Tech packages add "heavy duty springs". What I am saying, if you have the Track package, you may already have the "R's" front springs. If the springs offered in the track and tech packages are different than the "R's", then there are three different springs Ford uses on these cars - stock springs in base GT350s, heavy duty springs in GT350s equipped with the track and tech packages, and a different heavy duty spring exclusively used on the R model.
From what I read the R has its own front spring rate. The rears are all the same.
Sponsored