BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
Finally got a chance to drive my car after installing the shift knob a few weeks ago. Mine sometimes hangs up the lockout from coming back when coming out of reverse into neutral. Anyone else's doing the same?
Sponsored

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
MGW.... This knod made an already amazing shifter just pure heaven.
image.jpg

IowaPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT Base --SOLD
Any of you fix the issue with the reverse lockout sticking? Also, how did you get the plastic piece out of the bottom?
Haven't had a chance to drive it yet due to winter weather, so not sure how the reverse lockout is quite yet. If you stick a flathead screw driver inside of it, then you can pry it out. There's little tabs that hold it in, but not to worry, they won't break when you pry the plastic piece out.

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Haven't had a chance to drive it yet due to winter weather, so not sure how the reverse lockout is quite yet. If you stick a flathead screw driver inside of it, then you can pry it out. There's little tabs that hold it in, but not to worry, they won't break when you pry the plastic piece out.
Doesn't seem to want to budge.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
have to take the metal ring out first before you take the plastic spacer. I use picks

aschaefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
boom, just wedge a small screw driver in there and you can pull both of them out...
I ended up getting them out and got the knob drilled and tapped - still waiting on the car, though. Did you guys figure out your sticky RLO issue?

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Yeah get an MGW shifter... It's the best

Sponsored

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
I ended up getting them out and got the knob drilled and tapped - still waiting on the car, though. Did you guys figure out your sticky RLO issue?
seems like it has gotten better over time

IowaPony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT Base --SOLD
seems like it has gotten better over time
+1

I haven't really had time to drive much, except for logging the other night, but it doesnt hardly stick at all any more. It's certainly nothing to make me worry about accidentally getting reverse instead of first.

MagneticGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I was wondering about this too. ;)

Can someone post a pic of the stock knob next to the GT350 knob for a comparison of the finishes?

Probably a dumb question but does it bother anyone that the shift knob is a darker shade of silver than the rest of the interior pieces?

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
GT350 knob silver is more of a gunmetal. Leather finishes are the same

Silver50Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 PP Ingot Silver
Hello guys! I believe (I may be mistaken) that I am the first on the forum to retrofit the gt350 shift knob onto a mustang with the m82 transmission. After posting my picture in the forum's shift knob thread it arose many questions on how to do it. The process is actually a lot easier than it appears. If you like the look of the gt350 knob, but are nervous about trying to get it to fit into your mustang don't! The only thing you will need is a tap and die set with the measurement of 12 x 1.25 mm. Finding the right size tap in a store was the hardest thing about it! All you have to do is use the tap and die until it fits down into the shifter!:headbang:
It really is as simple as I'm making it out to be. I think it looks great in the car! The only complaint I have is that the knob sits up higher than the standard 8 ball we have, so there is a gap in between the reverse lockout and the shift knob itself. This is only a minor problem, but I will eventually try to fix, but to me it isn't that big of a deal. The knob itself is heavier than the stock 8 ball, and it fits better in the palm of my hand! Hopefully this helps some people who are on the fence about a new shift knob!

Pros: Heavier than stock, Better shape (in my opinion), good grip, out of the ordinary
Cons: having to retrofit, not fitting completely flush with reverse lock out

I now any aftermarket shift knob will give you originality, but seeing the gt350 shift knob in person I knew I had to have it in my car! There are plenty of great aftermarket solutions for shift knobs, but I have been extremely happy with my decision to get this knob!

Here are some pictures to show how the knob looks in our normal mustangs! It was my first ever write up, so I hope you guys can cut me some slack!;) Just trying to help out the guys who were asking questions!

The tap that you used are you willing to sell it? If not could you take a pic of it so I know what I need? Is it the one that attaches to a drill or I need a special tap? Never did this before. Thanks man
Sponsored