Sponsored

GT350/R Long-Term Reliability

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...The flat plane crank does have more vibration than cross plane. The Ford UDUD configuration is untested in high mileage mass produced cars. So the longevity is unknown. I'm sure Ford did stress testing and the engines lasted until the warranty expires in enough cases that they let it loose on us consumers.

Testing beyond warranty is not normally done by any manufacturer.
Let's see... that's five sentences. Two say we can't trust Ford and the other three say we can't trust a Voodoo.

Unless you work for Ford, it's unlikely that you actually know what testing Ford did or what engineering steps they took to ensure longevity. When you say in your next post "Nothing I have said is false", you're carefully steering clear of the question of whether what you said is true.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'll play.

1, flat plane cranks have more vibration then cross plane cranks.

Any argument? Try google.

2. Ford is the only manufacturer that uses a UDUD crank throw. So it is not proven in high mileage service.

Hard to argue that

3. I have worked with many mechanical engineers in a few fields. Every one engineers to a set time frame. IE warranty. 20,000 hours is the standard for the company who makes engines that I am most familiar with. Once the item, engine in this case, lasts the required time testing stops.

4 Ford does stress testing, the Raptor went through Hell before it was OKed. The Coyote went through hell also, no reason to believe the Voodoo did not.

Please quote me where I said we cannot trust Ford

Please quote me where I said we cannot trust a Voodoo engine.

mattador_16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I have a 2016 car with 42,600 miles, and it has drank a quart of oil in the past 600 miles.

The car seems to be aging decently, but, is this rate of consumption "normal"?

5.2 L V8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray Shelby GT350
Just hit 12K on my 17. Happy to report zero issues. No leaks, no rattles to speak of, and very little oil consumption. Car is a hoot to drive, gets a lot of attention, and runs strong.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I have a 2016 car with 42,600 miles, and it has drank a quart of oil in the past 600 miles.

The car seems to be aging decently, but, is this rate of consumption "normal"?
That seems to be normal-ish. This is from the GT350 Basics sticky:
  • According to the March 2017 Shelby Supplement pg. 48, oil consumption of "approximately 1 quart per 500 miles"while "driving high performance vehicles in such a way that might lead to higher oil consumption (this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers and track use."

Sponsored

mattador_16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I'll play.

2. Ford is the only manufacturer that uses a UDUD crank throw. So it is not proven in high mileage service.

Hard to argue that

3. I have worked with many mechanical engineers in a few fields. Every one engineers to a set time frame. IE warranty. 20,000 hours is the standard for the company who makes engines that I am most familiar with. Once the item, engine in this case, lasts the required time testing stops.

4 Ford does stress testing, the Raptor went through Hell before it was OKed. The Coyote went through hell also, no reason to believe the Voodoo did not.

sir, what is UDUD CRANK THROW

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
sir, what is UDUD CRANK THROW
Traditionally a flat plane crank follows a 4 cylinder config. The crank pins are UP>DOWN>DOWN>UP or UDDU. If you look at the pistons with the head off you will see the outside pistons at the top of the cylinder bore and the inner pistons will be at the bottom. #1 top, #2 bottom #3 bottom #4 top

Ford decided to be different. They went with UP>DOWN>UP>DOWN or UDUD.
If you look at the installed pistons the pistons will be #1 at the top, #2 at the bottom, #3 at the top, and #4 at the bottom, same with the other bank.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
19,500+ miles on my 2016 GT350R. No significant oil consumption to date. Given previous member posts in this thread, as well as searching thru other threads, if you keep your drivetrain stock, you are likely good long term with ownership of your GT350R. Also, keep in mind the firing order of the Voodoo engine and the factory headers/exhaust give it that unique sound and power delivery. For a street car maybe not as significant, but when you really push the car on a roadcourse, it's like nothing else out there. Only other NA V8 road car that has had same experience on track for me is the C6 Z06.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
8k on my 2017 GT350. It see's almost exclusive autocross duty, with some occasional car shows. Love the car, but I know the pitfalls. I saved my pennies so if something fails, including the engine, I will have it covered.

That said, most of the haters will make noise on how "untested" it is, without any comment on the motors that failed being modified. Most guys who leave their engines unmolested have no issues with reliability.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
2017 GT350 here. Bought it with 1300 miles on it a year and a half ago. Was told the motor was probably going to blow on me.

I have 5600 miles on it now and autox it once a month. Nothing wrong yet. I have a passenger side catch can, and check it regularly and it is usually a couple tablespoons in it at oil change time.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
With extended warranty I won`t worry about it to much. Even though most dealerships don`t see a GT350 everyday. I totally get the fear of some random service tech messing it up. Hell I get scared just bring a manual transmission mustang in regardless of model. But its the life we decided to live.

Can`t always have your cake and also eat it. You have a unique special engine and its going to have some downsides. Same thing with all guys driving exotic cars out of warranty.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'll play.

Hard to argue that

So, I admit you didn't say in so many words that we can't trust Ford to deliver a quality product, and for that, I apologize. As to your points...

1. It's a fact. And, It's irrelevant. If you trust Ford's engineering group, then it's a feature, not a bug.

2. See #1 above.

3. Fair enough. But again, Ford's engineering teams have decades of data and experience. Even if the life target is the end of the warranty, they have to be sure that 99% of the vehicles will make it that far after accounting for early failures at the front end of the bathtub curve. I expect it's a lot more rigorous than it looks.

4. Ford was very forthcoming about the level of stress testing of the GT350 as a package, not just the engine. It was marketed for track use and it was tested for track use, including a 24-hour enduro session with factory drivers with sustained lapping at something like 97% of fastest lap capability.

Like most of the GT350 owners on this forum, my experience is that my 2016 with 30,000 miles on it has been very reliable. FP did a remarkable job packaging the Voodoo engine and most of us who have one couldn't be happier.

The thing is, though, that some GT and Ecoboost owners who post here in the GT350 section (where they're welcome, by the way), just can't stop themselves from posting context-free facts that could cause the technologically uninformed to think that the GT350 with the Voodoo was unreliable. It's not.

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
Put some dynamat on the flex plate, it’s a cheap easy fix to get rid of the flutter noise.
Or get rid of the automatic and put a manual with a proper flywheel in it😉

DaveB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 gt350, 16 gt/cs (wife)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an 18 with just a tick under 20,000 miles. I have daily driven it for 2 1/2 years. Everything is original, except I changed the tires in April and I put in a harness bar finally. It has never used any oil or given me any issues. I’ve tracked it at Putnam Park and last week at IMS road course where I hit 150 on the front straight. Drove it there and home both days. No issues or concerns and love every minute of it

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
current owners always say blah blah and blame the noise on GT owners. i have seen plenty of actual 350 owners post about engine replacements and engine issues. the risk is there, but how high of a risk, idk. later.
Sponsored