Sponsored

Gt350 intake vs stock GT intake tested on a Mustang dyno. Results; The good, the bad

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
http://services.edmunds-media.com/i...015/lt/2015_ford_mustang_ill_lt_52615_717.jpg

Ignoring the final gear ratio this shows a 2015 manual shift points VS RPMs.

I agree with steph93lx that in order to really take advantage of the GT350 manifold you need to shift closer to 8K. Otherwise your next gear starts at a severe disadvantage over the stock manifold.

Just doesn't make sense to me that an engine that has easier access to more air makes less torque until very high in the RPM range, but below 2750 its making more torque.
Sponsored

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 301A A10, Modded N/A 1993 coupe 5.0L
http://services.edmunds-media.com/i...015/lt/2015_ford_mustang_ill_lt_52615_717.jpg

Ignoring the final gear ratio this shows a 2015 manual shift points VS RPMs.

I agree with steph93lx that in order to really take advantage of the GT350 manifold you need to shift closer to 8K. Otherwise your next gear starts at a severe disadvantage over the stock manifold.

Just doesn't make sense to me that an engine that has easier access to more air makes less torque until very high in the RPM range, but below 2750 its making more torque.
There is a test on a gt350 were the 11 GT intake untuned at certain rpm is +46 lbs/ft of torque over the gt350 intake but at like 3000rpm the gt350 is a little ahead. I see things like that pretty regularly. I know it's a different engine but this is just a example . We cannot control everything there is some design limitation like cam adjustment, air turbulence etc.

At the end anyway it's not this test or any other that will make the difference it's how much faster or slower I am gonna be at the track with this intake.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
JDM's test looks so show that 20-25hp/tq dip just as this test does, but their gains seem to be more.

Perhaps its just a tuning issue?

Hard to think that the GT350 intake is slowing people down, or even breaking even, when we have quite a few members hitting 120+ traps with just a tune, full exhaust, and this manifold. We've been told the stock airbox is just as good as aftermarket and that catbacks do nothing. Hard to believe the 7+mph trap increases came just from a catless longtune and a tune.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
JDM's test looks so show that 20-25hp/tq dip just as this test does, but their gains seem to be more.

Hard to think that the GT350 intake is slowing people down, or even breaking even, when we have quite a few members hitting 120+ traps with just a tune, full exhaust, and this manifold. We've been told the stock airbox is just as good as aftermarket and that catbacks do nothing. Hard to believe the 7+mph trap increases came just from a catless longtune and a tune.
Steph93lx traps in the 120s using the stock manifold. I think his track results compared to these dyno results will tell a lot.

Steeda did a really extensive comparison with as many variables held constant and showed there's gains in an aftermarket intake. It was convincing enough to me and makes sense. As far as the cat backs I think the lack of gains comes from pinch points in front of the cat back that limits how much they help. The stock exhaust gets down to 2-1/4 inches in multiple spots in front of where the cat back attaches. These exhaust systems are not true cat backs due to one cat being built into the manifold and the other not. I'd call them resonator and backs. I think it was lethal performance that had a bottle neck eliminator kit.

Carlosa_garcia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium DIB PP 6MT

Where are those members trapping 120+?

Sponsored

rozay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PQ 5.0 MT
how do i upload logs?
i have a log from boss mani and cjmani

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

JDM test show close to 30 lbs/ft lost.

As far as trapping 120+ there is only 2 member up to now that have done it and I am one of them and it's with the stock intake. The other is running a cj intake and TB. Quite a few..... Please!!

zaquhree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 GT
Solid work Steph

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
how do i upload logs?
i have a log from boss mani and cjmani
You don't have to upload the logs, if you just want to look at them and post your MAF flow rate at redline. I noticed that my MAF reading went up more with the "ported" boss, than when I added the catless headers. My MAF at 7500 with the boss and e85 was 49 lb/min, up from 44.3 without, and 41 before headers.

Sponsored

rozay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PQ 5.0 MT
heres my MAF lb/min
Boss mani not ported 47.5 @7700
cj mani not ported 55.6 @7700

86merc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Interesting results.

JDM test show close to 30 lbs/ft lost.
I believe they said since the posted numbers they tweaked the tune andppicked up some of that lost torque.

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting results.

I believe they said since the posted numbers they tweaked the tune andppicked up some of that lost torque.
Yes I know but I am curious to know if we talking about +2 or+10??. I am patiently waiting to see how they will run. I think they have the stock converter. We must not forget that they did not only add the gt350 intake but also they installed long tube headers.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
Keeping the tune the same to compare apples to apples seems like the right thing to do but it's a mistake.

The engines benefit greatly from cam timing changes that match the different airflow at different RPMs, there are WOT modes that are not enabled like they were in the 11-14s, and the IMRC can benefit greatly from some reprogramming as well from the stock settings.

As markmurfie was saying, the MAF is going to read different airflow and the torque model is going to be off (and with a CAI like JLT, WAY off). This also needs to be corrected properly.

All in, I have many many hours invested in recalibrating for the GT350 intake and TB along with the JLT CAI and not because I couldn't figure it out, but because I like to fully understand and gain full control of what I am doing.....believe it or not, many tuners simply use the settings that worked for someone else and don't necessarily completely know why.

Bottom line is, the potential of the intake is not being harnessed in the calibration and it can be.

OP
OP
steph93lx

steph93lx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keeping the tune the same to compare apples to apples seems like the right thing to do but it's a mistake.

The engines benefit greatly from cam timing changes that match the different airflow at different RPMs, there are WOT modes that are not enabled like they were in the 11-14s, and the IMRC can benefit greatly from some reprogramming as well from the stock settings.

As markmurfie was saying, the MAF is going to read different airflow and the torque model is going to be off (and with a CAI like JLT, WAY off). This also needs to be corrected properly.

All in, I have many many hours invested in recalibrating for the GT350 intake and TB along with the JLT CAI and not because I couldn't figure it out, but because I like to fully understand and gain full control of what I am doing.....believe it or not, many tuners simply use the settings that worked for someone else and don't necessarily completely know why.

Bottom line is, the potential of the intake is not being harnessed in the calibration and it can be.
Imrc plates are open 100% at full throttle. Test was done to see the caracteristic of both intake at full throttle. I was willing to try your tune because the way you were talking it seem like you was the only one being able to get rid of the surge. I ask for some insight and you offer your tune to me but when I ask for it you never reply.

This was not my car neither my dyno. With my car the test would gave been a bit different. I never deactivate the knock sensor or lock the timing. It's my friend way to do because for him some timing fluctuation have falsify some past test.

When I put it on my car I will optimised it and have some time slip to show. Where are your time slip? Feel free to share it please!
Sponsored

Last edited: