Sponsored

GT350 Base vs. R Wheel Studs

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
If I understand correctly the wheel studs on an R are longer than on a Base.

What are the reasons for this, and can the R carbon wheels be mounted on a base ?
If the wheels themselves fit, are the studs between the two cars different, and if so, must R wheel lugs be used ?
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

What are the reasons for this, and can the R carbon wheels be mounted on a base ?
If the wheels themselves fit, are the studs between the two cars different, and if so, must R wheel lugs be used ?
The CF rims are a lot thicker than the aluminum rims. The fronts are about 1.5" thick where the studs go through. The rear rims are a bit thinner, but are still a lot thicker than the aluminum wheels.

The easiest way to run the CF rims is to swap all four hubs to R hubs.

BTW, the FP front hubs in the link posted by @svassh above won't work for two reasons - first, the studs are about a half-inch too short, and second, the hub is a GT hub that won't fit a GT350.

OP
OP

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
The CF rims are a lot thicker than the aluminum rims. The fronts are about 1.5" thick where the studs go through. The rear rims are a bit thinner, but are still a lot thicker than the aluminum wheels.

The easiest way to run the CF rims is to swap all four hubs to R hubs.

BTW, the FP front hubs in the link posted by @svassh above won't work for two reasons - first, the studs are about a half-inch too short, and second, the hub is a GT hub that won't fit a GT350.

Thanks for a detailed explanation.

passwords

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R & ‘19 ZL1 1LE

Front wheel studs on a ‘19 R. I don’t have a picture of the rears, but if I recall correctly they are 3” studs as well. The lug nuts are not open like they normally would be with 3” wheel studs because the wheel hub is VERY thick. I haven’t see the wheel studs on a non-R so I have no idea if the carbon wheels would fit on a non-R.
37891BF8-171A-4AED-ADF0-3AE6FA272DD3.jpeg

Drafty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350R
We ran replica 350R wheels on a 2020 GT no issues, other than a slight poke out from the fender on all rims.

5CC8512C-A476-4F3D-A737-6A3D7FB00E28.jpeg

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
We ran replica 350R wheels on a 2020 GT no issues, other than a slight poke out from the fender on all rims.

5CC8512C-A476-4F3D-A737-6A3D7FB00E28.jpeg
Most 350R replica wheels need a spacer to work on 350s. I would assume they’d work great on a GT without a spacer.
Sponsored