Sponsored

GT350 1/4 mile

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Refer back to my previous statement about the ZL1 versus Z28 in drag racing. Nobody with a Z28 cares about the ZL1 being faster in a straight line stock for stock. If they did, they wouldn't have paid $20K more for a Z28 that had less horsepower.

The GT350 isn't going to be slow in the quarter mile. I'm sure it will AT LEAST put up a 12.0 considering its advantages over the Boss on paper. These people saying their universes will be shattered if the automatic equipped Camaro can match or beat the GT350, which I'm sure it won't, are worried for nothing. So what if it's slower? Put slicks on it and side step the clutch. Automatic cars have an advantage in a straight line these days. The manual Camaro is .2 slower than the auto.

The Camaro isn't slow to begin with. So, even if the Mustang only ties it in a straight line, nobody buying the 350 is going to care. It will be decent in a straight line, and excellent on a road course. That's pretty much what the consumers are expecting.
I'm a potential GT350 buyer and I can tell you I won't be happy if it ties or loses to a stock Camaro SS in the 1/4 mile. Auto or Stick...
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Refer back to my previous statement about the ZL1 versus Z28 in drag racing. Nobody with a Z28 cares about the ZL1 being faster in a straight line stock for stock. If they did, they wouldn't have paid $20K more for a Z28 that had less horsepower.

The GT350 isn't going to be slow in the quarter mile. I'm sure it will AT LEAST put up a 12.0 considering its advantages over the Boss on paper. These people saying their universes will be shattered if the automatic equipped Camaro can match or beat the GT350, which I'm sure it won't, are worried for nothing. So what if it's slower? Put slicks on it and side step the clutch. Automatic cars have an advantage in a straight line these days. The manual Camaro is .2 slower than the auto.

The Camaro isn't slow to begin with. So, even if the Mustang only ties it in a straight line, nobody buying the 350 is going to care. It will be decent in a straight line, and excellent on a road course. That's pretty much what the consumers are expecting.

You keep hitting nails right on the head. :headbang:

I don't give a rat's ass what it does in the 1/4 mile in the hands of a magazine tester, and I care even less what the camaro can do. All I care is what I can do in the car.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I'm a potential GT350 buyer and I can tell you I won't be happy if it ties or loses to a stock Camaro SS in the 1/4 mile. Auto or Stick...

I seriously doubt that will be a problem anyway. Very seriously. I was just playing out a worst case scenario.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I see what you guys are saying about being a track car and less of a drag car...but I also very much agree with eric_m - there are just a few benchmarks that we typically judge cars by and in todays market - ET, trap speed, 0-60, 60-0, top speed, slalom and as of late, track times. These days, we like performance cars to do it all so I understand not wanting the 350 to be horribly lacking in a particular category. The Hellcat, for example...brute horsepower but it's going to struggle on a road course.

Some people will not admit it but some of these numbers are bragging rights with our buddies, even if we might never duplicate them during our ownership of the car.

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Z06 and the HellCat cost way more money for starters. I'm fine with the GT350 is just a track car. You can bet that Ford has something else up their sleeves.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Bet money that the 350 won't be putting up ETs and trap speeds to sneeze at. Just think rationally here. The Boss 302 was getting 12.3-12.5s @ 115-117 completely stock by magazine testers.

Now, we have a car that's similar in weight, has almost identical trans and rear gearing, has 750RPM more per gear, has better tires, 49 more torque with a broader torque curve, and 82 more horsepower. Do you still feel that it's only going to run a 12.3 in the same conditions as what the Boss did? It just doesn't add up.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Bet money that the 350 won't be putting up ETs and trap speeds to sneeze at. Just think rationally here. The Boss 302 was getting 12.3-12.5s @ 115-117 completely stock by magazine testers.

Now, we have a car that's similar in weight, has almost identical trans and rear gearing, has 750RPM more per gear, has better tires, 49 more torque with a broader torque curve, and 82 more horsepower. Do you still feel that it's only going to run a 12.3 in the same conditions as what the Boss did? It just doesn't add up.
You got that right :thumbsup:
Those 315's on the back of the R will help a great deal.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
You got that right :thumbsup:
Those 315's on the back of the R will help a great deal.

Traction advantage alone over the Boss could put it in the 11s potentially. A 117MPH trap is good for 11.6-11.8 with a solid 60' time. PSC2s are very sticky when they're warm.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP

Boss 302 was 3660 lbs. GT 350 track pack is 3760 lbs and GT 350R is i believe 3650 lbs. Depending on the gearing, with that high of a red line, the gt 350 should hit 60 mph on the first gear. The gen5 zo6 and gt500 was able to do that. The quarter will come below the 12 sec mark eventually.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

winner winner chicken dinner.

I really couldn't care less about ETs in the 1/4mile but will be quite pleased if they are trapping ~120 since that is a good indicator of its top end potential on the track. The only drag strip my car will see is exiting the carousel at sears point :cheers:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I'm thinking the gt350 is an 11.7 car with a good driver.

I'm also very curious to see independent owner dyno results...

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Boss 302 was 3660 lbs. GT 350 track pack is 3760 lbs and GT 350R is i believe 3650 lbs. Depending on the gearing, with that high of a red line, the gt 350 should hit 60 mph on the first gear. The gen5 zo6 and gt500 was able to do that. The quarter will come below the 12 sec mark eventually.
With its first gear ratio and rear end ratio its been shown that first will actually shift just before 60.

Also no one remembers to mention the CF wheels on the R. That alone has a significant impact on acceleration as there is a lot lower moment of inertia and the wheels are easier for the car to turn.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels