GT vs GT350, Thoughts?

joecasta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Base A10
Great post. One thing that I think you are implying is that track times are important. My opinion is that enjoyment is the most important thing. I don't think you need to be fast or hit a certain time to have fun on track. Or I should say it this way - I definitely don't need to be in the fastest car or hit a certain time in order to have fun. I never time myself. Maybe it's because I'm too much of a rookie, but lap times just don't mean anything to me.

For me yes I do need a certain level of performance, but the things I like are higher revving naturally aspirated engines, and equipment that can hold up to track use without overheating. My Z06 had a great suspension and chassis, but the engine just didn't rev out well (one example). Plus it got hot too quickly. For me that is the worst thing and it kills my enjoyment of a track day.
Fair points here, I think 99% of people who buy a car JUST for the track numbers or minute differences on actual lap times either want some bragging rights, which is totally cool, or maybe never really truly tracked their car often, because honestly, if you're not actually competing in some SCCA events or something of the like to win trophies, why soak in some bs dick measurement contest on what car, given some absurd set of constraints (because I swear to god every damn argument over a car in a this vs. that ends up with someone shifting the parameters of the argument by adding a bunch of arbitrary constraints so it can prove their point) can beat the other by 3 tenths at laguna seca šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø or some forest track in germany šŸ‘€. If we're talking about a weekend car, it has to be imo, the most fulfilling, no-compromises car you can get at the price you're comfortable with, and in many ways that is what the gt350 is about. However, given that the gt350 has the space and chassis of a rental fleet car, you absolutely can daily it as long as the maintenance is frequent, weather permits, and wallet has some spare change for gas...you know just a few pure gold coins.
Sponsored

The Rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ive owned both; 2019 Bullitt and currently 2017 gt350

Theres more to consider than just the engine. Which I can tell you from my own experience is worth the price of admission on its own. Transmission, brakes, interior, all better on the Shelby. Exterior is unique from the windshield forward.
I loved my bullitt (which is a pp1 with 20 more hp if you didn't know) and can't say anything bad about it, but no matter what a GT is a GT, pour tens of thousands into is and its still a GT. Not saying thats a bad thing, but you're going to spend a boatload of money making it as good as a Shelby.... and never get a return of that investment.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Ive owned both; 2019 Bullitt and currently 2017 gt350

Theres more to consider than just the engine. Which I can tell you from my own experience is worth the price of admission on its own. Transmission, brakes, interior, all better on the Shelby. Exterior is unique from the windshield forward.
I loved my bullitt (which is a pp1 with 20 more hp if you didn't know) and can't say anything bad about it, but no matter what a GT is a GT, pour tens of thousands into is and its still a GT. Not saying thats a bad thing, but you're going to spend a boatload of money making it as good as a Shelby.... and never get a return of that investment.
Chassis for chassis equal, a car is a sum of itā€™s parts. Itā€™s nice to buy the complete Shelby package already done. The experience is probably worth it. Itā€™s nice for all the reasons mentioned, but in the end it really doesnā€™t matter except for the pedigree. Could you believe Shelby people have a problem with Flat Rock Shelbys? Lol. How predictable is that.
The whole thing is just plain silly to me.

Last edited:

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Chassis for chassis equal, a car is a sum of itā€™s parts. Itā€™s nice to buy the complete Shelby package already done. Itā€™s nice for all the reasons mentioned, but in the end it really doesnā€™t matter except for the pedigree. Could you believe Shelby people have a problem with Flat Rock Shelbys? Lol. How predictable is that.
The whole thing is just plan silly to me.
For me, you know what the best part of having a GT350 or 500 is?
You donā€™t have to gasp (as much) at car shows when you see all the weird crap people do to GTā€™s.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You donā€™t have to gasp (as much) at car shows when you see all the weird crap people do to GTā€™s.
because you shot your wad at Ford and had nothing left over for the vibrant, dynamic aftermarket. :)

Line up a GT350 next to a GT upgraded with the big brakes and slap on a RTR splitter, a duck bill and lose the silly engine cover, and 99% of C&C/show people would walk right by and not notice any difference between them. They are both "just" Mustangs.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Hmmm, why not compare apples to apples and get a GT500 or the boosted GT. Sounds like youā€™re more of a straight-line dude than a corner carver.

The 350 isnā€™t a drag car or a straight-line monster, and changing gears are only taking a car intended for a purpose out of its intended element.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
Makes a lot of sense, thank you. Out of curiosity, how much mileage do you typically consider too much when looking at used mustangs? I have been using 50k as a rule of thumb but honestly don't have much backing behind that. I know it really depends on how it has been cared for etc. but is often hard to tell.
very hard to tell as im sure you're well aware, but try to figure out what kind of miles. lots of highway miles rack up quickly but arent as bad. im picturing a car with 50k miles driven in chicagoland where im from and even worse in the city itself with potholes all over wrecking the suspension and just shaking the hell out of the entire vehicle. id take a 100k car that made daily commutes on nice smooth highways over the city car with fewer miles. provided both were otherwise well maintained. i know that kind of history can be hard, if not impossible, to determine, but i'd at least try to get a picture of it when buying a used car.

i bought my 95 gt with 98k on it, mostly ran and drove great until I started messing with it and modding it :cwl: but that is to be expected. i was 16 so my funds were limited but i dont regret buying that at all, in fact i still have it and im building a blown Dart based 331 for it now.

when i bought my 19 i wanted to stay under 30k miles and ended up buying one with 19,8xx on it.

as to gt vs gt350, maybe consider your expected use as well. my 95 is the "toy" and the 19 is closer to a DD. I dont think id get a shelby if there was any potential DD use of it personally, but that's for you to decide.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
as to gt vs gt350, maybe consider your expected use as well. my 95 is the "toy" and the 19 is closer to a DD. I dont think id get a shelby if there was any potential DD use of it personally, but that's for you to decide.
devils advocate...two mustangs just ainā€™t in the cards here, so a 350R covers both toy and DD for me šŸ˜

subject617

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GT, 2020 Bullitt
If i have to care about warranty or reliability probably a newer (not boosted) GT but the GT350 is way more special, even though its just a beefed up GT, but so much changed that its almost a entirely new car.
If i had the chance to get a new GT350 vs a GT for a reasonable price difference, totally would have gone for a GT350. But taxes are tough here, new GT350s are around 100-120.000USD. while GTs/Bullitts (loaded) are "only" 70.000-80.000USD

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Glad this thread is still alive.. quick update -- ended up pulling the trigger on a 2017 GT premium PP.

Sat on the GT350 market for a few months but the right car at the right price never came along. The GT has 35k miles, 1 owner, and is tastefully modded with room to do some more work. For sub $30k I couldn't turn it down.

Will hopefully have the opportunity to pull the trigger on a GT350 down the road, but the GT just got delivered and am psyched about it.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Glad this thread is still alive.. quick update -- ended up pulling the trigger on a 2017 GT premium PP.

Sat on the GT350 market for a few months but the right car at the right price never came along. The GT has 35k miles, 1 owner, and is tastefully modded with room to do some more work. For sub $30k I couldn't turn it down.

Will hopefully have the opportunity to pull the trigger on a GT350 down the road, but the GT just got delivered and am psyched about it.
Pics or it didnā€™t happen.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1

Very nice, post pics!!

Pics or it didnā€™t happen.
devils advocate...two mustangs just ainā€™t in the cards here, so a 350R covers both toy and DD for me šŸ˜
i would have taken a 350R in that situation too then!! :rockon:

OP
OP
jbfj

jbfj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/PP 6spd
Pics to come... for now just trying to get it to pass inspection. Failing the readiness test on cats, O2S, and HRT - any advice? Has catted LTH, GT350 throttle body/intake manifold, C&L CAI.

Dr. JL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R: GR227 and GR378
Trolling the other side of the 6g forum...my thoughts as a former S550 Mustang shopper and non-R owner...get a GT350R and youā€™ll know why eBay has a used 2020 R listed for $120K. You wonā€™t regret your purchase.

HiTekExec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500; 2021 Mach-e GT Performance
Agreed.

The Shelby Tax was one of several reasons I finally parted with my '07 GT500. I had hopped mine up and the prospect of popping the engine spooked me a bit after reading some horror stories. It made no sense why the cost to rebuild it was so ridiculously high.

I want to buy a '22 GT500, but I'll be damned if the same thoughts aren't running through my head. I'd intend for it to be a keeper this time, and the costs of hard parts replacement plus far more electronic things to go wrong when it's 5+ years old are daunting....
My '19 GT Premium had the Ford Performance upgrade for CAI, TB & tune, almost 58k miles, and was in excellent condition, and I was happily expecting to put many many more miles on it. A dealership finally got tired of me saying No and repeating the same numbers; I now have a new GT500. Someone is going to get a great GT on resale, but this Shelby is just a different level; zero regrets all around. Life's too short, get what you'll enjoy driving and have some fun.
Sponsored