Sponsored

GT Automatic

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
My wife has a Diesel Jetta with a really nice Automatic Tranny. They said it is like $6-8K for a new one. I wonder what the life expectancy is on the Mustang Tranny, and what a new one will run. Chances are, most of you will probably have sold yours by the time the car would need a new tranny....

Dave
A whole tranny might be 6k, but all you'd need to replace is the clutch in that VW. Still not cheap but not 6k either.
Sponsored

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
I'm old school. As a matter of fact I'm old. Granted the autos are quicker I get all that. But there's something to be said about control over the process. Down shifting and the corresponding sound. Accelerating in normal traffic and simply working on being smooth so the gear changes feel right. That's just me..

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Changed my mind. Since it is an auto, my wife drives and I never get to drive it. I wish it was a manual.........

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
I emphatically recommend the automatic/3.55 rear gear combination.
You will not be disappointed with this transmission.
The Sport+ transmission calibration should be the standard setup.

Black GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT BBP 6R80
I'm old school. As a matter of fact I'm old. Granted the autos are quicker I get all that. But there's something to be said about control over the process. Down shifting and the corresponding sound. Accelerating in normal traffic and simply working on being smooth so the gear changes feel right. That's just me..
The new auto's are fun to drive and that's coming from someone who's probably older than you.:D

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
If it is a garage queen weekend car I would go manual. If it is a daily driver definitely automatic. The auto in sport mode is fun. I found the Lund tune cleaned the factory shift points nicely. They are crisper.

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
If it is a garage queen weekend car I would go manual. If it is a daily driver definitely automatic. The auto in sport mode is fun. I found the Lund tune cleaned the factory shift points nicely. They are crisper.
That's my exact thoughts...DD = Auto.

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've owned manuals my whole life. Always considered auto's inferior (because they were up to this point). A couple years ago I got an auto c5 corvette, and it was so bad I sold the car within months because I just couldn't live with how terrible that transmission was.

Making the choice to buy an auto '15 GT was a tough one, but driving it daily right now I can tell you that 99.9% of the time, I am very happy with my decision and not regretting it whatsoever. The only times I miss manual is when I want to rev up the car while driving/rolling and can't (at least not as easily).

It's also nice to know I have the stronger, more reliable, and faster of the transmissions for when I supercharge the car later. with the 3.55 gears, my car is no slouch even now being unmodified.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Back when I was shopping I knew I was going to buy a manual but when I first went in for a test drive, the dealer only had auto-equipped GT's in stock. I test drove one anyway and came away somewhat disappointed with the responsiveness of the paddles when downshifting, even in the Sport modes. There seemed to be a slight delay between hitting the paddle and the transmission actually doing something.

Now, that was just my impression based on a limited test drive. Still, the performance of the auto transmission seemed to be a few years behind autos offered by other manufacturers that perform nearly or on par with the best DCT's out there.

Side note: My brother recently ended up with a GT as a rental car, which of course was equipped with the auto. He's driven my car plenty, and he said the auto ruined the experience for him.

However, him and I are both die-hard fans of the H-pattern. I'm a sales rep and use my car daily in all types of traffic situations, including plenty of stop-and-go but I still wouldn't give up my 3rd pedal for the world. If you're worried about the possibility of not wanting to shift yourself 10 years down the road, I would still urge you to go manual now.

Just an opinion from a different perspective hope it helps.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I emphatically recommend the automatic/3.55 rear gear combination.
You will not be disappointed with this transmission.
The Sport+ transmission calibration should be the standard setup.
I thought I wanted to try to find one with the 3.55's at first, but after more research, it sounds like the 3.15 gears are just as fast (at least on the strip), but IDK, why they would offer the 3.55 if it wasn't quicker? Maybe it makes it quicker off the line, but once it gets going the 3.15 catches up?

Sponsored

dmxmike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 roush rs2
2015 gt auto with with full American Racing exhaust airaid cai and bama tune . It shifted good with the factory settings but with a tune it is awesome then in sport mode and paddle shifting it's like a manual without the clutch plus they don't encounter as much wheel hop as the manuals do . Ours has 410 whp for now. ( GT 350 manifold and throttle body are ready to be installed waiting on bama for a tune :)))))

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I thought I wanted to try to find one with the 3.55's at first, but after more research, it sounds like the 3.15 gears are just as fast (at least on the strip), but IDK, why they would offer the 3.55 if it wasn't quicker? Maybe it makes it quicker off the line, but once it gets going the 3.15 catches up?
Well 3.55 will put the engine in a more optimum rpm after shifting the thing is it will also shift sooner. It's a trade off.
3.55 will feel more peppy when you tip in the gas pedal because the rpm will be more in the optimum range

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
2nd and 3rd are the "fun" gears. With 3.55 those gears are still not quite as short as the manual with 3.73. So the butt dyno feels better in these gears with 3.55.

However, 6th with the auto and 3.15 is a bit shorter than the 3.73 manual.

In summary, the auto is too short in 1st and 6th, and too tall in 2-3-4.

Ultimately I chose 3.15 because I had to stop ordering options somewhere, and I really wanted the best possible mileage on the freeway. I wish they would offer ALL the diff choices as long as we pay the $400 up charge. Then I would choose the compromise 3.31 diff.

Black GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT BBP 6R80
From 0 to 150 the 3.15 is unbeatable, that's why 1320 racers prefer it.
Sponsored