Sponsored

GT Automatic

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
I like my auto, but I do miss driving a manual. If you want the performance pack, get the manual.
Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The 2015/2016 auto trans in the Mustang (Turbo/GT) is a modified German (bullet proof) ZF 6HP26 that can be found in may high end cars. I had this trans (ZF 19) in my 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT and the Mustang's version is more refined and responsive. After driving many manual cars including Porsche and Audi for the past 15 years I am very pleased with the Mustang's ZF 26.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I had an auto in my 13 5.0. I got rid of that car in just 7 months. The biggest reason i got rid of it was the auto transmission. The car just never felt like a 420 horse car. I am talking about torque. It just didnt pull and put me back in the seat like i thought it should. When i had that car i honestly started thinking the 5.0 was over rated. Then i later test drove 2 manual 14 5.0's, and was like wow! Those cars felt night and day stronger than the auto i had. They put me back in the seat and pulled like a freight train. So when i started shopping for a 15 i didnt even consider the auto. I went manual and love the car. It puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it. Fun to drive and pulls hard. Now i understand that as far as times go the autos may be averaging a bit faster 1/4 times but they dont feel as fast as the manual cars i promise you. Drive both and you will see.
When I test drove the 14's, I tried both the auto and manual and the manual did seem a lot quicker (esp. with the 3.73), but I hear with the 15's they improved the auto and its supposed to be just as quick as the manual and that's assuming the manual guy is shifting perfectly, if he is not, the auto is going to be quicker most of the time.

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
I went from a 15 manual to a 15 auto and the only thing I miss is revving the motor for a little harder launch. Aside from that one thing, and I didn't do it that often, I have no regrets at all. Heavy stop and go traffic is no longer a problem other than wasted time.

Another thing to consider is if you ever go boosted, the stock driveline parts will hold up better with an auto vs. a manual. All of the manual guys are changing clutches and axle shafts to handle all of the jerky shifting.

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I like Auto in my wife's car. They're worlds better than 10-15 years ago. With that said, I will stick with manual until I am physically unable to shift.

Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
Stock for stock the manual will "feel" faster than an auto due to the soft tune that comes with the auto. But the difference between the two is negligible.

This is my second auto in these cars and I'll never go back to a manual.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Love my auto.
Maybe when I get something a bit more sporty I will get a manual. The new 8/9/10 speed autos are so fast it's going backwards to a 6 speed manual.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I've owned 6 Mustangs with manual transmissions and I'm currently on my 2nd Mustang with the automatic. The new 6R80 automatic is amazingly good and worlds better than the MT82 manual, IMHO.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
I really learned just how much fun an auto can be when I had my 2003 Lightning. Putting down big HP was so easy. No issues with clutches slipping or missed shifts. All my previous Mustang GT's have been manuals. After a total knee replacement of my left knee, the auto was almost a necessity. I have the 3.55's, and in Sport + this thing is just a blast to drive. Having another manual might have been fun, but not being able to drive at all when I'm having a bad knee day (which happens all to often) would blow chunks.

Like I told the wife the other day..... 8 months of driving this car and it puts a smile on my face EVERY TIME I drive it.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
I went with a manual - mainly because I wanted the Perf Pack and you just can't get that in an auto. My first 3 mustangs were all manual and thats all I drove for 25yrs. My last two (F-150, Taurus SHO) were autos so I got a bit complacent. Back in a manual - its more work to drive, but that also means I am more involved.

If they had PP with an Auto would I have bought it? Probably....but that ship has sailed and I love that car as it stands. Plus its an excuse to not let my teenage son drive it, he does not drive a stick and I am NOT teaching him in the Mustang. :eyebulge:

Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I'm wondering about an automatic 2017 GT myself. I've been reading the forums and all over the Internet about manual vs automatic. I love driving a manual, one week I'm all about buying a manual. Then all the sudden I'm reading about clunking sounds when shifting and the reliability of the manuals may not be all that great with the MT82 transmission and I get discouraged.

The automatic Mustangs use the 6R80 transmission. Now F-150's have been using the same transmission since 2009 to the current model. Now that raises my confidence in the reliability.
So, even though I love driving a manual vehicle and would love one, with my sights set on longevity it looks like I will probably buy an automatic. Plus with the automatic I can get a remote start and pull up a lawn chair.
I wanted both but my salesman told me I would have to buy two Mustangs. :frusty: I test drove both GT PP, and GT auto with and w/o the 3.55 diff. The 3.55 felt like it pulled as hard as the GTPP.

I knew if I got manual I would get tired of shifting and want the auto. I also knew if I got the auto I would get bored and wish I had the manual.

In the end, I wanted no reliability risk, plus the car is a daily driver so I chose auto. I added the paddle shifter extenders, and I can change gears right after the thought occurs to me. Plus, the auto has the different "personalities" of Normal, Sport, Track, etc. The throttle and shift mapping changes among modes. Most of the time I am in Normal and getting pretty good gas mileage.

I am happy that what I need practice most is throttle-on wheelspin control, instead of downshifting. I never miss a shift with the auto. ;)

OP
OP

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
My wife has a Diesel Jetta with a really nice Automatic Tranny. They said it is like $6-8K for a new one. I wonder what the life expectancy is on the Mustang Tranny, and what a new one will run. Chances are, most of you will probably have sold yours by the time the car would need a new tranny....

Dave

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Looooove the auto after driving only manual for 32 years. :love:
Will not go back.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
My wife has a Diesel Jetta with a really nice Automatic Tranny. They said it is like $6-8K for a new one. I wonder what the life expectancy is on the Mustang Tranny, and what a new one will run. Chances are, most of you will probably have sold yours by the time the car would need a new tranny....

Dave
The VW's have DSGs so thats why they are pricy. The clutches on the DSG wear out and need replacing. The 6R80 should last very long time if taken care of.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I drove a manual for 20 years, then drove automatic for 3 years. I'm happily back to the manual. It may not be as "fast" but it's a hell of a lot more fun.
Sponsored