Sponsored

Getting Old: Seeking a Softer Suspension

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
it would only be fair to get new un-flexing mounts.
I went straight for Steeda’s billet rear mounts. Quality machine work and robust as hell. With that said BMR’s mount wasn’t available when I swapped out my PP suspension package.
As mentioned, there’s magic in relocating the shock rod the way BMR designed the mount location. Kinda eliminates the need to shorten the jounce stop as drastically as I have, ( I’m confident in what we took out and zero risk in bottoming out the piston, careful shock blueprinting is all that’s needed)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I went straight for Steeda’s billet rear mounts. Quality machine work and robust as hell. With that said BMR’s mount wasn’t available when I swapped out my PP suspension package.
As mentioned, there’s magic in relocating the shock rod the way BMR designed the mount location. Kinda eliminates the need to shorten the jounce stop as drastically as I have, ( I’m confident in what we took out and zero risk in bottoming out the piston, careful shock blueprinting is all that’s needed)
I have Steeda’s mounts and really like them; they’ve held up well over the years and did their job.

That being said, I just got the quote for the rear FRPP shocks...not a good value when broken out of the full set. Looks like I’ll roll the dice on the Bilsteins and stick with OEM mounts for now.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The cheapest thing would just be trade a non performance pack car your suspension for his stock suspension.
The '18+ EB/PP suspension is the same as stock GT I believe (confirm?) just sprung a little bit higher.
The '19 GT's PP1 (rears especially) shocks are annoying as f*ck. My EB/PP is a delight by comparison. I'm about to jettison the EB's shocks if you're interested, OP. I have Steeda Actives slated to go on.

The general problem with harsh ride is excessive high-speed compression, and sometimes combined with too much rebound damping. I like 2-stage compression valving so you can address both shaft rates separately.

These are damn expensive and I'm trying to get my hands on some dyno sheets and further details. Anyone know someone who has run them? https://afepower.com/afe-power-430-...ustable-street-track-coilover-system#overview

Short of that, the price of the new Bilsteins is hard to argue against.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
That being said, I just got the quote for the rear FRPP shocks...not a good value when broken out of the full set.
Is that price through Ford Racing or did you source the rear GT350 replacement shocks ?
Ford Racing’s track damper package is nothing more than Blue painted GT350 struts & shocks.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I have Steeda’s mounts and really like them; they’ve held up well over the years and did their job.

That being said, I just got the quote for the rear FRPP shocks...not a good value when broken out of the full set. Looks like I’ll roll the dice on the Bilsteins — I’ll get the BMR mounts so there is less a chance of ride height increase and to keep a solid mount in place.
Good call all around in my book.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Is that price through Ford Racing or did you source the rear GT350 replacement shocks ?
Ford Racing’s track damper package is nothing more than Blue painted GT350 struts & shocks.
It’s through a Ford Racing dealer. I was tracking that GT350 dampers were not interchangeable to the GT.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It’s through a Ford Racing dealer. I was tracking that GT350 dampers were not interchangeable to the GT.
This is true. The rears won't bolt up to the control arm.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT

That being said, I just got the quote for the rear FRPP shocks...not a good value when broken out of the full set. Looks like I’ll roll the dice on the Bilsteins — I’ll get the BMR mounts so there is less a chance of ride height increase and to keep a solid mount in place.
Yes!! Bilsteins. Will be eager to hear your response on how they ride and the handling. Good move on the mounts too. I was going to say you need to add more travel either with the mount and/or taller spring but Bmac already had that covered.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
For my own info.,
The Ford Racing track dampers are different than GT350 dampers ?
They are same valving as the GT350 monotubes (non magneride), thus the same performance. They are not identical.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
They are same valving as the GT350 monotubes (non magneride), thus the same performance. They are not identical.
Oh, gotcha. I stand corrected.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Hey bud, they are actually softer than the ProActions, in my opinion. They have a very refined compression. To note, the rear of my car is only lowered 0.5”.

If someone were to swap OEM dampers for the Bilsteins, then I bet the ride would be more firm.
Sponsored