2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Without igniting a heated debate, I'd suggest that you be very careful and weary of any crossfit classes/programs. A lot of what's out there right now is more likely to seriously injure you rather than get you back into shape.

Todd mentioned it earlier, but HIIT is really good for leaning down while retaining muscle mass. Depending on your current body composition, you may be better off easing your way into it and sticking to regular cardio for a couple of months. HIIT, if done properly, is extremely effective but also very hard on your joints and lower back.

Also, I can't emphasize this enough but your diet and nutrition is extremely important. You can kill yourself in the gym 7 days a week and run sprints all day long, but if your diet isn't on point it'll all be for nothing. And congrats on quitting smoking, that's a huge step in the right direction.
Ab's are made in the kitchen:D

humster21

Black Mustang Lover
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
15 Black EB Premium w/PP
I also want to shed some pounds around the mid-section. Unfortunately my left knee no longer has cartilage and doesn't feel great after 8 hours of work on a concrete floor. They will not do a knee replacement until I'm around 50 years old ( 12 years to go). I've played softball for the last 27 years and I'm trying to get into shape for spring. This season has been the roughest yet. The diet is key with my situation, but I'm trying to figure out more low impact workouts to save the pain. Sucks getting old.

Farmundeh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT Premium
I also want to shed some pounds around the mid-section. Unfortunately my left knee no longer has cartilage and doesn't feel great after 8 hours of work on a concrete floor. They will not do a knee replacement until I'm around 50 years old ( 12 years to go). I've played softball for the last 27 years and I'm trying to get into shape for spring. This season has been the roughest yet. The diet is key with my situation, but I'm trying to figure out more low impact workouts to save the pain. Sucks getting old.

Have you tried training in water? It'll relieve a lot of the stress on your joints.

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
If your body is up for it, I highly recommend one of these...
Shyla2010_03.jpg

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium

That sucks about your knee. Arthritis runs in my family and my sister is getting the beginning of it in one of her fingers and she's only 30! I'm doing my best to keep up my bone health.

That being said, you should try swimming. Swimming is very low impact and is actually suggested for knee replacement patients. Just take things easy. Of course diet is the most important, watch what you eat and stay away from processed food as much as you can (once in awhile is okay)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DruidBlack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Agree 100%!! Gotta ease into if you are out of shape.

I love my Box and the 2 owners plus their 3 coaches. They don't push anyone as everyone is at different fitness levels. They even offer modifications for anything that is in the WOD.

My son does their pre-teen classes as well. He loves it at 12 years old.

I have belonged to many, many gyms over the last 25 years and this is by far the best staff ever. I feel lucky to be a part of this. They have cookouts, Christmas parties, New Years celebrations, pool parties, etc all at different members houses over the course of the year.
You are lucky :thumbsup:

Mine was friendly for the most part but there were some hardcore veterans that swore they were cavemen reborn. Everyone did a good job of pushing each other but I think the whole ESPN thing has created some egos about it.

You know what they say about fight club? the first rule of Crossfit is you tell everybody. The second rule of Crossfit is you tell everybody... :D

Nothing against crossfit really. Just found that funny. :)

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
You know what they say about fight club? the first rule of Crossfit is you tell everybody. The second rule of Crossfit is you tell everybody... :D

Nothing against crossfit really. Just found that funny. :)
LOL...yep, quite fitting...

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Just wanted to chime in also, that your results highly depend on your DIET. If you do not have your diet down, all your work is for nothing. You can train and train, but if your diet isnt on key, your work isnt worth anything. Figure out where you want to be and then figure out what you need from there. I like to go with 1g protein per lb of lean body mass and 1 to 1.5 g carbs per lb, and around .5g fat per lb of bodyweight. As long as you stay consistent and committed you should see results.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Runner12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future S550
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. :) Diet is definitely something I need to watch. I'm going to try something similar to the "paleo" diet avoiding rice, breads and pastas (this one will be REALLY tough).

Based on the suggestions I am going to make sure I enter crossfit more in shape than I am now. My gym has both boxing and WOD type classes now, i guess crossfit influence is everywhere now. SO I am going to ease into it that way first. I figure no need to injure myself early on.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to chime in also, that your results highly depend on your DIET. If you do not have your diet down, all your work is for nothing. You can train and train, but if your diet isnt on key, your work isnt worth anything. Figure out where you want to be and then figure out what you need from there. I like to go with 1g protein per lb of lean body mass and 1 to 1.5 g carbs per lb, and around .5g fat per lb of bodyweight. As long as you stay consistent and committed you should see results.
+1^^^

Figure out your goals first: are you bulking to gain lean mass or cutting to lose body fat? Don't try to do both at the same time, it's just not as effective. Aside from those first 3-6 weeks of getting back into things and getting conditioned, it's harder to try and "eat clean" to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Ever see the guy that eats clean and goes to the gym regularly but never really changes physique? That's the guy that just eats "clean" at maintenance calorie targets. You'll gain both LBM and some fat when bulking, but it'll be easier to cut calories and lose fat (with a small amount of LBM) afterward. Just cycle between the two. Gain muscle. Shed fat. Rinse and repeat.

Figure out your macro (protein/carb/fat) rates, then adjust your calorie target according to your weight gain/loss goals. I'm a huge supporter of IF, although it was a lot easier to pull off when I was working at LA Fitness back in the day, where I used an 8 hour-on/16-off window. Now I just subscribe to the basic concept of generally adhering to macros, roughly counting calories, and removing as much processed food as reasonably possible. But my fitness has gone to shit... really inconsistent lately.

I've quit smoking since I got the Mustang, now it's time to get back into a gym routine. At least it only takes a few weeks to get the habit going again. This thread's a good motivator. :)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
If you plan out your meals and consistently work out to failure doing whatever - HIIT, LIIT, crossfit, etc. - you're guaranteed to get good results. Sleep is crucial too.

Herr Squid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Ecoboost Premium
Umm.. What? :confused:

I'm sure this is great advice if you speak the lingo, but can you translate for those of us who don't speak LA Fitness..?

Figure out your goals first: are you bulking to gain lean mass or cutting to lose body fat? Don't try to do both at the same time, it's just not as effective. Aside from those first 3-6 weeks of getting back into things and getting conditioned, it's harder to try and "eat clean" to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Ever see the guy that eats clean and goes to the gym regularly but never really changes physique? That's the guy that just eats "clean" at maintenance calorie targets. You'll gain both LBM and some fat when bulking, but it'll be easier to cut calories and lose fat (with a small amount of LBM) afterward. Just cycle between the two. Gain muscle. Shed fat. Rinse and repeat.
:)

detailz03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
77 Corvette Black W/Flames
Check out www.reddit.com/r/fitness
It's a great starting point for getting in shape.
And I'm not sure what "Crossfit" some of the people are doing. But the general rule is don't.
Crossfit is always about high reps and poor form. Which is why there are a lot of injuries.

I'm more towards the body building/power lifting aspect, however you will find pushing heavy weights around help A LOT in losing weight as well as diet.

Do yourself a favor and go to the reddit website to get started. There's even a form for runners as well that you'll find.

Make sure you're eating under your TDEE (how many calories you need to maintain) and you'll lose weight. The best part about being out of shape, especially over weight, is you'll gain muscle at the same time losing it and you'll see great results. Also check out www.reddit.com/r/supplements
Sponsored