Sponsored

Getting blown, looking for tips

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
I'm buying a supercharger in the coming days, and I'll be doing the install myself.

What are some of the things you wish you knew before buying your supercharger?

And if you did the install yourself, and you had to do it again, would you? Or would you pay a shop?

Thanks again
Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Which supercharger are you going after? How mechanically inclined are you? Depending on most kits, they are not too bad to install if you have all the needed tools, a spare set of hands, and plenty of beer.

OP
OP
TheShit

TheShit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Which supercharger are you going after? How mechanically inclined are you? Depending on most kits, they are not too bad to install if you have all the needed tools, a spare set of hands, and plenty of beer.
I've done things like swap intake manifolds and replace fuel systems, and stuff like headers, but this will be the most involved thing I've done. I was looking at systems that use the stock intake manifold. I have all the tools and access to a 2nd set of hands if needed.

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
You should be fine. Just take your time and have fun doing it. Talk with @beefcake racing and you won't find better service or price in a centri style setup that will use your stock intake manifold.

Sponsored

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
You should be fine. Just take your time and have fun doing it. Talk with @beefcake racing and you won't find better service or price in a centri style setup that will use your stock intake manifold.
:)

I'm buying a supercharger in the coming days, and I'll be doing the install myself.

And if you did the install yourself, and you had to do it again, would you? Or would you pay a shop?

Thanks again
you can't go wrong with any power adder on a coyote, they live for boost

really comes down to budget, goals, driving style / power delivery, and for some looks.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions, and we can go over all the options available, We have about 15 kits in stock for the s550 at the moment as well

as far as shop vs self install, we do more power adders than anyone for the coyote.

one of my sales guys just did a fore / paxton install this past weekend himself. friday night / sat / sunday and got it all knocked out no probelm

it really depends on your skill level.

Last edited:

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500

Thanks again
Depending on your HP goals, I would recommend while you're doing it to just throw on a set of OPG and a crank sprocket as well to get it knocked out of the way for cheap insurance. If you're not comfortable with removing the timing chains and cover, at that point I'd just have a shop do it all personally. If you want to risk it with just doing the blower, they are all pretty easy to do, just make sure you bleed the coolant system well when you put it all back together. If you have any questions about any of the kits on the market, feel free to shoot me a message anytime. Have a great weekend. Lethalperformance.com

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I would recommend while you're doing it to just throw on a set of OPG and a crank sprocket as well to get it knocked out of the way for cheap insurance.
I'd bet broken aftermarket OPG vs stock would be like 10:1. Nothing beats the factory FORD OPG's.

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
My advice is............don't push the ragged edge. If you go with a manufacturer tune, it generally has a little more "safety" in it (which is why it's usually less than custom aftermarket tunes).

If you go with an aftermarket tune, ask your tuner to make it "safer" by running mid to upper .70's for fuel lambda and take whatever the max timing is and back it off a couple degrees.

You'll lose some power and torque, but you'll be much better off for the real world, variable conditions you'll encounter (heat soak, intake temps, fuel quality, etc).

I highly recommend E85 not just for it's power/torque improvements but for safety, it has much better knock resistance.

Don't go cheap or skimpy on fuel. Lean conditions are a big threat to your motor.

In the end, modern motors can handle a lot of power and torque, but follow the philosophy of "overbuild and underutilize." Even then there's no guarantees, but conditions on the street/track are different than a single drag pass (cold) off the trailer or a dyno rip. Particularly if you don't use a loaded dyno (which most are not).

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Based on what I have observed since taking owership of 2018 Gen3, staying in the single digit boost range is the safest thing to do.

This is especially true if this is your daily. Single digit boost is still so potent with a Coyote, you'll be able to out pull ZL1's, Hellcats, hot factory Porsches, etc. from a roll (as long as you have the right rubber).

Check with beefcake racing, Terry is great, honest, forthright, and will give you good solid advice. I won't buy from anyone else.

BKoz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
With the debacle I'm going through, I would not recommend the tune that comes with the vortech complete kit. Look at my post as I see you have a 2021 as well. I'm not sure if they've caught up now but when I got my kit, it was not actually able to tune for 2021 and I had to get livernois(provided tuner) to agree to rewrite the device to accept a custom tune (+300). I also don't like having a device that only accepts their tune.

I'm having weird issues with random misfires but worst of all the transmission tuning was horrible for anything but full throttle runs.

Good custom tunes seem to get things dialed in and have better service.

I also am not a fan of how tight the fit is on the vortech kit. The install was simple, took me 12-14 hours by myself and I was really going slow and methodical. I also replaced the spark plugs while I was in there. One of the studs in my kit arrived with bad threads, this also ate up about an hour trying to cut and rethread with the proper pitch (called vortech to find out) The intake tube is a joke as well. I wish I had gone with the procharger setup that mounts on the driver's side or at least had gone with a custom tune and fuel.

Last edited:

Spodie5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jody
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Tips for getting blown? 20 bucks and a side road.... Oh wait... That kinda blown. 10 grand and a good mechanic. :wink: