Sponsored

Gen 5 Whipple Pump and E85 1/4 Mile Testing and Results (Ongoing)

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks EM - I have been fortunate to speak with Sam since the beginning. The chart seems accurate - shows my pump was somewhere likely in the 730-740 whp range - which also means that I apparently won't see over 146 MPH at 860 whp - my guess was 145-147. My car is full weight plus a full tank of gas for that ~138 MPH pass. Even with the ET Street R's - that MPH should be enough to get me into the 9's comfortably I hope. With a tire - I think it should be enough for a 9.5ish ET. I am happy with the lower boost for safety on top of this...Hoping to find out Friday...driving there and back so fingers crossed...

Mach9310

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Thanks EM - I have been fortunate to speak with Sam since the beginning. The chart seems accurate - shows my pump was somewhere likely in the 730-740 whp range - which also means that I apparently won't see over 146 MPH at 860 whp - my guess was 145-147. My car is full weight plus a full tank of gas for that ~138 MPH pass. Even with the ET Street R's - that MPH should be enough to get me into the 9's comfortably I hope. With a tire - I think it should be enough for a 9.5ish ET. I am happy with the lower boost for safety on top of this...Hoping to find out Friday...driving there and back so fingers crossed...
You’ll for sure be in the 9s. I personally know a guy that went 9.7 @ 147 (full weight without front skinnies just a tire) down here in south Florida with the same setup. I just finished installing a 3.25 pulley and the car pulls extremely hard when compared to the stock 3.875

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You’ll for sure be in the 9s. I personally know a guy that went 9.7 @ 147 (full weight without front skinnies just a tire) down here in south Florida with the same setup. I just finished installing a 3.25 pulley and the car pulls extremely hard when compared to the stock 3.875
Awesome Mach - have you dyno'd yet? We are making the same adjustment it seems - and that seems to be a pretty standard move (to the 3.25"). The numbers seem to play out - but as I said - dyno's are tools and can read many things...I just care about that MPH even if my ET is crap - because I know a better tire will fix that.

Mach9310

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Haven’t dyno’d yet. I’m actually waiting on getting axles and driveshaft to take it to the track and see if I can pull off a 9.5-9.7. I’m looking forward to seeing your results with the new pulley.

Sponsored

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Haven’t dyno’d yet. I’m actually waiting on getting axles and driveshaft to take it to the track and see if I can pull off a 9.5-9.7. I’m looking forward to seeing your results with the new pulley.
Awesome - I invested in those as well - I don't want to pay for a ~120 mile tow from the track lol. If weather allows - that will be this Friday. I will post all of my results here - regardless of the outcome...

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
E85 Results...VERY happy with the results - despite blowing my first run (I was uncharacteristically overly excited lol). Left the car in manual and blew the run...1.43 60' (I have the slip) - wasted. That said - I soldiered on - praying I didn't hurt anything.

I am very transparent - I have been racing a long time and my ego is in serious check as there is always a quicker and faster car - and everyone has mishaps, breaks and bad runs.

SO on that note - Engineer Mike - I now know that I had zero boostane in my pump gas runs at the track - because I didn't know about the white plastic funnel that is in the trunk. The boostane "leaked out" I thought - because the tank was full - but it actually never got into the tank lol. While filling the car up after driving to the track - with E85 - I almost couldn't figure it out. Anyways - we solved that - and that gives me some hope that on pump and some boostane I could run closer to 140 MPH.

Track day was good. Prep was solid - my 60' issues were mine alone trying to figure out the launch - which seems to be lower stall than higher. The car felt like a train on the big end - just pulling - and it was so stable. As I complain about headwinds - I must admit we were fortunate enough to have a slight tail wind - small - but I will take it.

Car shifted well - even after my aborted rev limiter run after letting it rest for 40 minutes. Solid from there onwards.

I had four runs beyond the aborted - 10.0 at 145, 9.71 at 148, and 9.83 at 145. So very consistent. The fourth was a test to see what an idle launch with a stab of the throttle would produce - and the answer was a poor run (10.23 but at 146.7 MPH).

I logged three of the runs (worrying about logging is what messed up my first run - but I am over it as you can tell).

For running only 15.5 lbs of boost - I am happy with these results. I think without tailwind - I am going to run anywhere between 144-147 MPH depending on DA and track prep. Which is perfect for me - no more boost - I am liking this level from a safety perspective and it is a lot of fun.

According to the Lethal chart - I believe it states at my weight - I am making about 880 whp - which seems to be about right.

More testing to come - against some Mopars this Saturday if the weather permits!

Stay tuned!

971_148.jpg

983_149.jpg

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Lol - I kind of over-did it...new posts start at post #37

...and here is a Dragy to Track timeslip comparison - pretty good accuracy except for the 60' value...

Slip and Dragy Compare.jpg

Sponsored

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Who is your tuner? I use Lund and in S mode at WOT it will shift. Maybe your tuner can add that. Works really well for roll racing.

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Who is your tuner? I use Lund and in S mode at WOT it will shift. Maybe your tuner can add that. Works really well for roll racing.
Wow - that is great to know Andrew! That would be great even though I don't roll race as a safety measure. I am with Lund and will ask about that - much appreciated!

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
@vtknight would it be correct to say the 718 rwhp, 138 mph, and 6.77 60-130 correlate and were all on 93?
Hey EM - yes you are correct. Because I did not have the (locational) technical knowledge to understand how to use the white funnel in order to put any additive into my car (instead watching it drip down the side of my car) - that 6.77 is pump gas only. Probably not the safest thing - and lucky that all was well. My guess is - with some boostane - even a splash - I will be able to see 138+ - which I will try next season.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
E85 Results...VERY happy with the results - despite blowing my first run (I was uncharacteristically overly excited lol). Left the car in manual and blew the run...1.43 60' (I have the slip) - wasted. That said - I soldiered on - praying I didn't hurt anything.

I am very transparent - I have been racing a long time and my ego is in serious check as there is always a quicker and faster car - and everyone has mishaps, breaks and bad runs.

SO on that note - Engineer Mike - I now know that I had zero boostane in my pump gas runs at the track - because I didn't know about the white plastic funnel that is in the trunk. The boostane "leaked out" I thought - because the tank was full - but it actually never got into the tank lol. While filling the car up after driving to the track - with E85 - I almost couldn't figure it out. Anyways - we solved that - and that gives me some hope that on pump and some boostane I could run closer to 140 MPH.

Track day was good. Prep was solid - my 60' issues were mine alone trying to figure out the launch - which seems to be lower stall than higher. The car felt like a train on the big end - just pulling - and it was so stable. As I complain about headwinds - I must admit we were fortunate enough to have a slight tail wind - small - but I will take it.

Car shifted well - even after my aborted rev limiter run after letting it rest for 40 minutes. Solid from there onwards.

I had four runs beyond the aborted - 10.0 at 145, 9.71 at 148, and 9.83 at 145. So very consistent. The fourth was a test to see what an idle launch with a stab of the throttle would produce - and the answer was a poor run (10.23 but at 146.7 MPH).

I logged three of the runs (worrying about logging is what messed up my first run - but I am over it as you can tell).

For running only 15.5 lbs of boost - I am happy with these results. I think without tailwind - I am going to run anywhere between 144-147 MPH depending on DA and track prep. Which is perfect for me - no more boost - I am liking this level from a safety perspective and it is a lot of fun.

According to the Lethal chart - I believe it states at my weight - I am making about 880 whp - which seems to be about right.

More testing to come - against some Mopars this Saturday if the weather permits!

Stay tuned!

971_148.jpg

983_149.jpg
Great times! The mopar track rental for Saturday is that the one at Grand Bend?
Sponsored