Sponsored

Gen 5 Whipple Pump and E85 1/4 Mile Testing and Results (Ongoing)

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So - I wanted to get out as soon as possible despite this heat - just to get a MPH. Test and tune at my track is literally without prep - so ET wasn't happening. First pass on a test and tune day on pump gas 3.75" pulley. It was hot as soup and a slight headwind to add some additional insult - but it was worth the seat time. I did my burnout in S in 1st and it felt a little high revving/hard on the car - does anyone shift into second during their burnout? I didn't have a chance to play around unfortunately.

My best and only time was my first after driving two hours to the track. I did a very conservative 1K RPM stall launch and the car pulled hard and then started to pull me into the wall just as I hit the towers. I was able to land the car safely, but it definitely took some steam out of the pass. The front passenger liner was wedged into my wheel sticking out past the tire about 8 inches. I was able to get it fully out, but it seems to have damaged something in the process and I lost power (over 10 MPH) after a 45 minute cool down (while we checked out the car) - so I have enough experience to know to take the car home. Still very happy with that one pass despite the conditions.

Bringing it in tomorrow to see what happened. I am guessing there is something in or near that passenger side area, maybe some wiring or lines? I have a cooler and the larger Whipple HX which all worked great - so I don't think heat soak was the issue after a 40-45 minute rest.

Super excited to see what this car can do on pump - in cooler weather and with some actual prep (and no liner jam lol).

E85 will be tuned shortly as well - I want to get a full day of seat time with pump and then it will be E85 from here.

Stay Tuned...

First Pass_1063_Pump.JPG

Liner_rip.jpg
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Was the fender liner missing any of the push pins that secure it in place? That seems like a very odd occurrence.

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Was the fender liner missing any of the push pins that secure it in place? That seems like a very odd occurrence.
Indeed and I don't know. The car was in the Shop for a very long time waiting for the Whipple. I pulled the liner out from the car and was able to - does that mean the pins were not in? I don't know.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Indeed and I don't know. The car was in the Shop for a very long time waiting for the Whipple. I pulled the liner out from the car and was able to - does that mean the pins were not in? I don't know.
If you didn’t remove them yourself prior to removing the mangled liner, it sounds like the shop may have forgotten to put them back And it worked it’s way loose during your track outing. I’ve had my liner out a few times now and there are approximately 11-13 push pins securing it in place.

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If you didn’t remove them yourself prior to removing the mangled liner, it sounds like the shop may have forgotten to put them back And it worked it’s way loose during your track outing. I’ve had my liner out a few times now and there are approximately 11-13 push pins securing it in place.
I am lucky everything is good - that said - because the car was in the Shop for 8 months (I bought the car end of November, ordered my parts in December and it sat until I finally got my Whipple in July) - I cannot really blame anyone. They were working on it when the other parts came in and it is super hard to keep track when there is that much time with the car sitting around. The car is meticulous - from what I have seen - this could have just been a simple oversight. Luckily I was good to get the car stopped and get it removed.

I don't know what lines or wires may run around or near there - if there are any fuel components around there? Electrical - or what - but I will have the Shop give it a thorough look over this week. I am hoping I can get back to track this Friday or Saturday for more testing.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
For what it’s worth. I’d be suspect if everything was perfect the first time out. Lol. That’s a real good number for a first shot with minor issue’s.

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
For what it’s worth. I’d be suspect if everything was perfect the first time out. Lol. That’s a real good number for a first shot with minor issue’s.
Thank-you sir - I appreciate it and agree lol! I have been doing this for a while and it shows...one run and I am still happy to drive 2 hours back.

OP
OP
vtknight

vtknight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Quick question for the burnout masters using the 10R80 - do you manually (in S) shift to 2nd? Can you leave it in D? I found 1st gears too high revving and not enough speed.

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
Quick question for the burnout masters using the 10R80 - do you manually (in S) shift to 2nd? Can you leave it in D? I found 1st gears too high revving and not enough speed.
I generally start a burnout in 2nd. Shifter in S > toggle to drag mode > traction/stability controls full off > paddle to 2nd > make some smoke. If that doesn’t work, do the same but start in 1st and click to 2nd once you’re up in the RPMs pretty good.

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
^and dont forget to put the shifter back into drive or you will hit the limiter if you dont paddle shift after you launch

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
^and dont forget to put the shifter back into drive or you will hit the limiter if you dont paddle shift after you launch
Depends on the tune, Lund shifts in S only with the pedal on the mat. Only reason I mention this, is I know others were unaware (and not just Lund tune).

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
I generally start a burnout in 2nd. Shifter in S > toggle to drag mode > traction/stability controls full off > paddle to 2nd > make some smoke. If that doesn’t work, do the same but start in 1st and click to 2nd once you’re up in the RPMs pretty good.
This or you can do a quick burnout in D and rollout of the burnout.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Depends on the tune, Lund shifts in S only with the pedal on the mat. Only reason I mention this, is I know others were unaware (and not just Lund tune).
It will shift automatically if you have it in S if you dont touch the paddles which activates paddle mode. Once paddle mode is active you have to shift back to D to have the car automatically shift again, atleast for the stock tune and my pbd tunes.

Last edited:

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
It will shift automatically if you have it in S if you dont touch the paddles and activate paddle mode.
Yes, this is how I data log. While getting on an on ramp in Mexico I down shift with paddles to 3rd while in s mode, get the RPMs to about 3k, pedal to the mat and let it shift through a couple gears. Would work well for roll racing if I did that too. Tuner said S is the way to run the car, shifts a little higher rpm (maybe 300 rpm) and has no nannies.
Sponsored