Gen 2 piston slap

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My 2017's engine was replaced under warranty. New engine is definitely Gen 2, I checked sticker. It doesn't burn oil like the original but has some very noticeable piston slap until it warms up. Do others have Gen 2 piston slap? Would you push back on Ford?
Sponsored

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
My 2018 has piston slap that is most noticeable when cold between 2000 and 3500 RPM. No big deal and engine runs well. I believe it is pretty common. There was an SSM to address it at some point (SSM 46173). Ford said it was harmless.

Deleted member 13861

19s and 20s got the Gen 2 unless Ford warranties earlier models then they get the newer version as well.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Do others have Gen 2 piston slap? Would you push back on Ford?
Forged pistons are always going to have a bit more noise than most other engines. Unless you're seeing scoring on the cylinder walls, I wouldn't worry about it. Piston slap is not detrimental to engine longevity just annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My 2018 has piston slap that is most noticeable when cold between 2000 and 3500 RPM. No big deal and engine runs well. I believe it is pretty common. There was an SSM to address it at some point (SSM 46173). Ford said it was harmless.
That's what the told me too. Make sure the exhaust baffles are open!
Forged pistons are always going to have a bit more noise than most other engines. Unless you're seeing scoring on the cylinder walls, I wouldn't worry about it. Piston slap is not detrimental to engine longevity just annoying.
I had slap with Gen 1. In addition to oil at 1qt/300mi, I did have scoring. Not so worried about being annoyed, just don't want issues down the road.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I had slap with Gen 1. In addition to oil at 1qt/300mi, I did have scoring.
So that had more issues than just a simple piston slap. As I mentioned before, piston slap in of itself is mainly harmless and doesn't usually result in excessive oil consumption. The fact that you had that and scoring means your engine had other issues with the rings, piston skirts or bores.

If your current engine doesn't burn (as much) oil and if you check it regularly and doesn't have the scoring, I would say you'll probably have to learn to live with it.

OP
OP
scd603

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
So that had more issues than just a simple piston slap. As I mentioned before, piston slap in of itself is mainly harmless and doesn't usually result in excessive oil consumption. The fact that you had that and scoring means your engine had other issues with the rings, piston skirts or bores.

If your current engine doesn't burn (as much) oil and if you check it regularly and doesn't have the scoring, I would say you'll probably have to learn to live with it.
Barely burning any oil. Maybe 1qt in 3.000 miles.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Likely fine. You'll notice it when the engine is cold with light pedal pressure. Don't try to make it happen all the time because while it's impossible to measure the long-term effects of this, common sense says it's not 100% ideal but rather part of the pros and cons of mechanical things. I try to apply medium throttle as to keep it under a little more load after I start driving...so I'm not bringing the RPMs up, I'm not going WOT and I'm not inducing cold piston slap. Doing the slight load (pressure=heat) gets heat in the pistons a little sooner and once they expand slightly in the bore, the noise should go away. Ford says if you can hear it a little when it's hot, that it's normal - and this has been my experience in previous performance cars.

If the sound does not change at all when warmed up, then worry.

Kachow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
First thing I noticed about my 2017 when I bought it. Can hear it when its cold out. Noticeable around 2220 RPM on the dot. After researching it to hell, normal. These cars have a lot of...quirks.
Sponsored