Sponsored

Gen 2 Coyote cam timing question.

Jackhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I am working on a Gen 2 5.0 Coyote that had the heads off.
The heads were ported and reassembled.
My question is do you just follow the typical Ford timing procedure on this link?

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39249

Do we start with the drivers side, line up the blue links on the chain with the crank sprocket and cam sprocket and go from there?

Keep in mind we will have to turn the cams to get the mark in the right position.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks on advance,
Jack
Sponsored

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Make sure you use the timing procedure for a 15+ and not a pre 15. The Gen 1 is different. There's a DIY that shows it somewhere on this forum.

OP
OP

Jackhammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies and the YouTube videos.
Very helpful.
I really appreciate it.
You guys are great!!!

Jack

Sponsored

Twall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium [FBO]
If I put in comp cams stage 3 NSR cams and correctly follow the install instructions do I need to buy a degree wheel and dial indicators and ALL this extra crap to measure piston to valve clearance and verify TDC? Some guy on youtube was saying it's 'required', and I just don't think it is for what I'm wanting to do. -Thanks

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Not to highjack OP thread but does the timing chains need replacement and if so how often ?

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
6 year old thread, but I'll chime in.

If you install the cams with the correct hold downs in the correct spots (this is CRITICAL) and orient the phasers properly, and the timing chains correctly meaning- Timing marks from the crank sprocket and lined up with the correct links on the chains and the correct links on the phasers timing mark, how COULD you need a degree wheel? As far as replacing the chains, they are supposed to be "life of the vehicle". That being said, I am finishing up a built motor and I did NOT re-use my timing components, even though they only had 47K miles on the original set. I bought the FRPP replacement kit for $650ish. Seemed like the right thing to do while putting together a $15K engine.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
6 year old thread, but I'll chime in.

If you install the cams with the correct hold downs in the correct spots (this is CRITICAL) and orient the phasers properly, and the timing chains correctly meaning- Timing marks from the crank sprocket and lined up with the correct links on the chains and the correct links on the phasers timing mark, how COULD you need a degree wheel? As far as replacing the chains, they are supposed to be "life of the vehicle". That being said, I am finishing up a built motor and I did NOT re-use my timing components, even though they only had 47K miles on the original set. I bought the FRPP replacement kit for $650ish. Seemed like the right thing to do while putting together a $15K engine.
Thee thread has risen!

Agreed, just install per the Ford cam and timing instructions. No degree wheel need unless phasers are locked. I do new valvesprings, chains, guides, tensioners and CS every season. But that's normal maintenance based on use. Def every new build get all new timing components and not reuse. I recommend gt350 primary chains and Accufab secondaries with MMR flip bracket. BOSS tensioners and oem guides.

Twall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium [FBO]
Thee thread has risen!

Agreed, just install per the Ford cam and timing instructions. No degree wheel need unless phasers are locked. I do new valvesprings, chains, guides, tensioners and CS every season. But that's normal maintenance based on use. Def every new build get all new timing components and not reuse. I recommend gt350 primary chains and Accufab secondaries with MMR flip bracket. BOSS tensioners and oem guides.
Thank you!
Sponsored