Gear ratio mod...

Swgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Highlander
Hi all, long time lurker and waiting to pull the trigger on the Shelby in the next few months... Question for owners, has anyone taken the plunge and invested in the gear ratio change mod that JohnVallo posted about a few years ago?

Although I don't own one, I've driven over 2k miles in a GT350 through various avenues so I have a decent feel for the car in different driving scenarios. The only thing I haven't done is take it on a track, which I wouldn't do even as an owner. As a 2nd car and I'd say 80% DD and 20% weekend joy rider, I really think the 4.56 or 4.88 gear ratio could really change your experience with the car given my particular use case - that is, not go to jail when you redline that sweet FPC voodoo.

Thoughts? Experiences? Look fwd to joining the group as an owner soon....
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Havenā€™t been in jail for that yet.
I really appreciate the stock gearing. Pussycat around town and a monster on the open road/track.
Plenty of crashes around here with stronger down low muscle cars. I like you have to work at it to get in trouble.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Search member John Vallo. His write-up on gear swaps he has done is the most detailed info found.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
I put 4.30s in an ā€˜01 Cobra that was my 3 seasons DD. Many said that would be too much but definitely donā€™t fear the gear.
These are geared well in the transmission but even the 4.09 FP upgrade is something I would do without hesitation.
-J

OP
OP
Swgt350

Swgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Highlander
Search member John Vallo. His write-up on gear swaps he has done is the most detailed info found.
As I mentioned in my post, I've read his posts thoroughly but wondered if anybody else has actually done it and what their experience has been.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Swgt350

Swgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Highlander
Havenā€™t been in jail for that yet.
I really appreciate the stock gearing. Pussycat around town and a monster on the open road/track.
Plenty of crashes around here with stronger down low muscle cars. I like you have to work at it to get in trouble.
Thanks for the comment. My objective isn't to get more low end power but so I can wring it out a few times without going to jail. Stock gearing you get to wring it out 2x before you're basically at 100mph. The 4.56 or 4.88 gets you 3 shifts to 100mph and so in normal country/canyon road spirited driving you get to use 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears while you wring it out instead of just 2nd and sometimes 3rd.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the stock GT hit 100 before needing 3rd gear?

The track really is the place to stretch these cars legs. Or if you are hell bet on being at the limit, a Miata would be a better choice for around town. You can be at the limit of the car at 30 mph, where a Mustang isn't even breaking a sweat.

OP
OP
Swgt350

Swgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Highlander
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the stock GT hit 100 before needing 3rd gear?

The track really is the place to stretch these cars legs. Or if you are hell bet on being at the limit, a Miata would be a better choice for around town. You can be at the limit of the car at 30 mph, where a Mustang isn't even breaking a sweat.
Not interested at being at the limit around town. Only during weekend spirited driving, which will be often. And of course a couple pulls here and there to hear the 8000rpm roar without going to jail.

Agreed the track is the place to stretch the Shelby's legs for sure, though.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Gotcha. I will tell you, the car at 3k and above is an absolute beast. I personally wouldn't want any more gear. So I think you will be spinning tires a lot. But she will scream and who doesn't love that sound?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Swgt350

Swgt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Highlander
Gotcha. I will tell you, the car at 3k and above is an absolute beast. I personally wouldn't want any more gear. So I think you will be spinning tires a lot. But she will scream and who doesn't love that sound?
I always felt like 5k is where it really felt alive. 4k is where it begins to feel alive. I guess I have an expensive appetite for power, having had an E90 M3 (so I know what it's like living with a V8 you need to wring out). Also one of my best friends (who was rich AF) had a 991.1 turbo S as his daily so I've driven easily 1k miles on that as well. Before that I had only driven Hondas and Toyotas despite being a self proclaimed car guy. Definitely skewed my taste for power.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
OP - you are not wrong for feeling like the gears are too tall. They are. Now that I have put about 8k miles on mine with the stock gearing, including a trip halfway across the country last summer, I have come to just accept the overly tall gearing and it doesn't bother me as much but I agree that it would be nice to be able to wind it out to redline a little more often.

I do have a Ford Performance 4.09 that I tried to get installed on my 350R last year but my shop could not get one of the axles off so we halted it. I've done some gearing and speed calculations with various rear end ratios and am not sure I'd want anything more than about a 4.30 for my needs.

Scootsmcgreggor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost turned GT
Thanks for the comment. My objective isn't to get more low end power but so I can wring it out a few times without going to jail. Stock gearing you get to wring it out 2x before you're basically at 100mph. The 4.56 or 4.88 gets you 3 shifts to 100mph and so in normal country/canyon road spirited driving you get to use 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears while you wring it out instead of just 2nd and sometimes 3rd.
I had this same exact thought process for lower gears in my GT and it worked out just as Iā€™d hoped. GT350 will be a bit different but say do it, for where your head is at it will work out like you expect and the fun factor of rowing through more gears will be a blast. It is for me.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I know of one that uses 4:10 and on track that is very noticeable coming out of the corners.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
As I mentioned in my post, I've read his posts thoroughly but wondered if anybody else has actually done it and what their experience has been.
My fault. I admit that I glossed over the fact that you looked up John's posts. I actually have a 4.10 Yukon rear gear in my 2016 GT350 based on my reading and IM's with John. I did the swap about two and a half years ago. Along with the CF driveshaft, the 4.10 gears are probably two of my favorite mods on the car. Wind up is noticeably quicker with both without sacrificing any driveability. Another member Angrey also did a gear swap to a set of FP 4.09's. Feel free to IM me for additional questions.
Sponsored