GARAGE DOOR OPENER PROGRAMMING

davanz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ram 1500, 2019 Z06 Corvette, 2019 Bullitt
I just bought a 2019 Bullitt which was built for the Canadian market, and first sold new thru a dealer in Montreal. I have two Genie brand openers and cannot get them connected to the in car buttons. I have tried the In Vehicle method, tried using the program button on the openers, and the Gate Operator/Canadian method. Nothing works. And yes, remotes good batteries and work reliably. Any thoughts? Does the car being built for the Canadian market have any bearing on the problem?
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I just bought a 2019 Bullitt which was built for the Canadian market, and first sold new thru a dealer in Montreal. I have two Genie brand openers and cannot get them connected to the in car buttons. I have tried the In Vehicle method, tried using the program button on the openers, and the Gate Operator/Canadian method. Nothing works. And yes, remotes good batteries and work reliably. Any thoughts? Does the car being built for the Canadian market have any bearing on the problem?
To the best of my knowledge the Homelink system is universal so no difference between Canada and the US. Here is link to Ford Canada's Homelink video. It's' the same as the US version.

Assuming you have rolling codes on your openers It may take a few times for the programing to take. Also make sure you have removed all former programming because that ca really screw things up.

Here is a video from Homelink as well. There are many other videos on YouTube. Check them out as many of these folks had the same issues you do.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My Mustang was built for the Canadian market, too. If you have an older garage door opener, that may be the problem. They changed protocols a number of years ago. I had to use the handheld opener until I replaced the whole unit. Then I could use the home link in the car.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
My Mustang was built for the Canadian market, too. If you have an older garage door opener, that may be the problem. They changed protocols a number of years ago. I had to use the handheld opener until I replaced the whole unit. Then I could use the home link in the car.
I have a 19 too and was not able to use hone link.wpund up buying an after market opener for my genie operner

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I have a 19 too and was not able to use hone link.wpund up buying an after market opener for my genie operner
99 times out of 100 it is the opener not Homelink. My 2015 EB and my 2019 GT/CS hooked up immediately to my old 2010 opener with rolling codes. Had a new opener installed last year and Homelink connected immediately as well.

By the way David make sure your opener models are compatible with Homelink.

Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The new opener unit I have now is a Genie. I had to use the learn button on the back of the garage unit to get it to work with my car link.

OP
OP

davanz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate all the replies. I will keep trying this afternoon.

Bruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach1, 2021 GT500
I used this video to program my ‘21 M1 and ‘23 Lincoln. Worked great. Hope it helps.

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
99 times out of 100 it is the opener not Homelink. My 2015 EB and my 2019 GT/CS hooked up immediately to my old 2010 opener with rolling codes. Had a new opener installed last year and Homelink connected immediately as well.

By the way David make sure your opener models are compatible with Homelink.
I believe it. I helped my inlaws' elderly neighbor set hers up with her CTS and i flat out couldnt do it with her (brand new) remote. I went out and swapped it with another model and set it up within minutes. It was compatible with homelink per the box, too.

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
Give this a try. After many failed procedures this worked great.
  1. park under the garage door motor
  2. erase saved codes on homelink by pressing both side button on the remote for 20 seconds (until light blinks rapidly)
  3. hold remote close to the homelink, press and hold both buttons (open button on remote, desired button on homelink) until the homelink blinks rapidly, then release both buttons.
  4. quickly go to the garage door motor (you have 20-30 seconds) and press the program button on the garage door motor
  5. go to your car quickly to press and hold the desired homelink button (until garage motor light flashes)
  6. done

Last

Sponsored
OP
OP

davanz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I finally got it. And I think this was the key in my case. In the car owner’s manual, the instructions say to hold the car button down for 2 seconds for certain steps. In one of the videos mentioned above it says 5 seconds. When I tried the programing again last night, I tried holding it down longer, and had both openers done quickly.

Also, does anyone other than me think that the owners manual is very poorly organized and written?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I finally got it. And I think this was the key in my case. In the car owner’s manual, the instructions say to hold the car button down for 2 seconds for certain steps. In one of the videos mentioned above it says 5 seconds. When I tried the programing again last night, I tried holding it down longer, and had both openers done quickly.

Also, does anyone other than me think that the owners manual is very poorly organized and written?
Glad you got it all sorted out. As far as far as the manual, the instructions are from Homelink, not Ford. Every opener is different. That’s why I said to keep trying.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Fighter jet grey

I agree with you on the instruction manual being poorly organized and not very well written. In my job (now retired) I have written and/or edited four instruction manuals for new technologies that I either developed or managed the development of. So I know a thing or two about how to organize and write a users manual. The only manuals I have seen worse are some manuals coming out of China. The Japanese car companies do a very good job with their manuals. It is embarrassing that an American company does such a bad job with theirs.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Electronic components in cars tend to change a lot and manuals are often outdated. I always look online first.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
It was a PITA to program with both my 14GT and my 22M1. If you have an older unit it takes some trial and error but you will get it.
Sponsored