Sponsored

Fuse block fuse taps - discuss

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Has anyone had any issues with trying to use the mini fuse taps in the passenger side fuse block???

I had purchased the correct fuse taps off of Amazon, removed Fuse #23 to tap for a dashcam install and I could not get the &$#@%! fuse tap to plug into the fuse block slot.

I tried it right side up and upside down…. I even compared the damn blades on the fuse tap to the actual fuse I removed and as far as I could tell with my eyes - the fuse tap blades appeared to be an exact match as far as length, width and thickness.

WhatintheseriousF…..

I even tried the other (3) fuse taps from the same package, same thing. . . . I could not get the fuse taps to plug into the fuse block slot.

What brand or type of fuse taps are you all using? I’ve used fuse taps before in many Ford’s and other XYZ brands - NEVER had this issue…
Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reply. In your image, see how you have your fuse tap oriented? I tired that in slot #23 and I don’t see how it can be oriented that way when I tried it. To me, it seemed like the fuse tap won’t be secure because it comes in contact with the raised black plastic on the fuse block. No?

Do you recall if you had to forcefully insert the fuse tap?

I tried again and it was just not going in, felt as if I was going to break or damage the slot. I even had a bright LED shining at the fuse block and the orientation with the fuse tap was the same as if I were going to put a fuse back into that location…

I’m so stumped with this…. LOL…

This is the exact kit of fuse taps I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Circ...Mini+fuse+tap+nilight+4&qid=1627193448&sr=8-3

And I was using the “Micro2” fuse taps from the package…

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I had no issues hardwiring my dash cam using a fuse tap in the interior fuse box. If I'm remembering right these cars are one of the few ones using Micro 2/ATR fuses instead of the more common mini style. I used a Bussmann tap from the parts store.

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bjstang

Thanks for the additional time and pics! The blades on your fuse tap look to be longer in the pic.

I still could not get the Amazon "Nilight" brand Micro2 fuse tap to plug into the S550 fuse block at all, even tried another slot. Orientation of the tap does not help and it just won't plug into any of the fuse block slots at all. I put as much reasonable force on the tap trying to plug it in, but any significant force will result in damage to the fuse block. It should not require excessive force. Again, tried all (3) taps that came with the package, same results with all (3).

So I went back to the reviews on Amazon for the "Nilight" brand in general. If I go deeper into the reviews or sort in a different manner, apparently many other customers (with varying vehicle brands) have had this same issue. Other buyers claim that the tap won't plug into their fuse block despite it being the same design as other Micro2 Fuse Taps on the market. Some even claim that to plug fuses into the fuse tap itself is difficult, or that correct fuses won't even fit the tap terminal.

Despite there being positive reviews for their fuse tap kits, maybe it's a QC thing due to mass manufactured parts. But with that said, I'd expect at least 1 out of the 3 to work. I know for certain this brand is definitely not working with the S550 panel.

Appreciate the help bjstang!

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
@Cobra Jet, @bjstang I'm trying to install some Glowshift Gauges over this weekend. Do you know what fuses can be tapped into for a 12V constant (unswitched) source and 12V ignition (switched) source ? I'm also trying to find another 12V headlamp source for using the dimming feature.

Also fyi, when I talked to their customer service they recommend that I go with a low profile mini fuse tap
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/2-pack-low-profile-mini-expandable-circuit-4-amp-fuse/

So, our cars use Micro2 and not low profile ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Cobra Jet, @bjstang I'm trying to install some Glowshift Gauges over this weekend. Do you know what fuses can be tapped into for a 12V constant (unswitched) source and 12V ignition (switched) source ? I'm also trying to find another 12V headlamp source for using the dimming feature.

Also fyi, when I talked to their customer service they recommend that I go with a low profile mini fuse tap
https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/2-pack-low-profile-mini-expandable-circuit-4-amp-fuse/

So, our cars use Micro2 and not low profile ?
I was using the info supplied in this thread for my dash cam hard wiring. In the vid, the user is wiring up a different cam than mine and he's tapped (2) fuses for constant and switched. I just needed Fuse # 23, which is switched and the same that @bjstang used too.

Hope it helps:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/best-dashcam.155310/page-3#post-3305503

As far as the fuse block in the S550, I know for certain that the 2018+ is using the Micro2 fuses. I'm not sure if the fuse tap being recommended to you will work; it has to be the Micro2 type that @bjstang shows in his images.

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
I was using the info supplied in this thread for my dash cam hard wiring. In the vid, the user is wiring up a different cam than mine and he's tapped (2) fuses for constant and switched. I just needed Fuse # 23, which is switched and the same that @bjstang used too.

Hope it helps:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/best-dashcam.155310/page-3#post-3305503

As far as the fuse block in the S550, I know for certain that the 2018+ is using the Micro2 fuses. I'm not sure if the fuse tap being recommended to you will work; it has to be the Micro2 type that @bjstang shows in his images.
@bjstang @Cobra Jet Thank you guys for the info :) And stumbling upon this thread today saved me some trouble ! It looks like the rep gave me wrong info, so after pulling couple of fuses and measuring them, they are indeed Micro2 fuses.

It looks like few people are using Fuse #2 for constant 12v so going to use that and decided to go with Fuse #23 for switched 12v. Btw, in the video you shared it looks like he has a completely different fuse layout compared to our cars. I double checked this against the owners and service manual. I think it's different with the GT500 maybe ?

Btw, that ground bolt looks like a pain to get to lol

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bjstang @Cobra Jet Thank you guys for the info :) And stumbling upon this thread today saved me some trouble ! It looks like the rep gave me wrong info, so after pulling couple of fuses and measuring them, they are indeed Micro2 fuses.

It looks like few people are using Fuse #2 for constant 12v so going to use that and decided to go with Fuse #23 for switched 12v. Btw, in the video you shared it looks like he has a completely different fuse layout compared to our cars. I double checked this against the owners and service manual. I think it's different with the GT500 maybe ?

Btw, that ground bolt looks like a pain to get to lol
The ground is easy.

Remove rocker cover on door sill, remove kick panel.

After kick panel is completely removed, you will immediately see a metal bracket with (2) threaded studs and (2) nuts. Just pick one of the threaded studs, loosen the nut on that stud and insert the ground connector under the nut on the stud, tighten down the nut over the ground and done.

I'm not sure why folks are trying to tap buried nuts up under the dash for grounds - when the one right behind the kick panel is easiest to get to and is a perfect clean ground.

Last edited:

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
The ground is easy.

Remove rocker cover on door sill, remove kick panel.

After kick panel is completely removed, you will immediately see a metal bracket with (2) threaded studs and (2) nuts. Just pick one of the threaded studs, loosen the nut on that stud and insert the ground connector under the nut on the stud, tighten down the nut over the ground and done.

I'm not sure why folks are trying to tap buried nuts up under the dash for grounds - when the one right behind the kick panel is easiest to get to and is a perfect clean ground.
Thanks, I used another location behind the kick panel, I got the idea from that dash cam installation video you shared. I might relocate it to one of the nuts below. As I said above I used Fuse #2 and #23. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is a circuit to use dimming feature on the gauges, they're bit too bright during night.

20210731_221354.jpg

20210731_221339.jpg

20210731_215324.jpg

21Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang GT
Has anyone had any issues with trying to use the mini fuse taps in the passenger side fuse block???

I had purchased the correct fuse taps off of Amazon, removed Fuse #23 to tap for a dashcam install and I could not get the &$#@%! fuse tap to plug into the fuse block slot.

I tried it right side up and upside down…. I even compared the damn blades on the fuse tap to the actual fuse I removed and as far as I could tell with my eyes - the fuse tap blades appeared to be an exact match as far as length, width and thickness.

WhatintheseriousF…..

I even tried the other (3) fuse taps from the same package, same thing. . . . I could not get the fuse taps to plug into the fuse block slot.

What brand or type of fuse taps are you all using? I’ve used fuse taps before in many Ford’s and other XYZ brands - NEVER had this issue…
I’m frustrated as hell too. I have to use micro 3 fuses and I bought the luminator add a circuit but the plastic is too thick to get into the fuse box on the passenger side. I will use a dremel tool to shave it down and see if I can get it to fit I’ll let you know if I can get it to work

GWraith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathaniel
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Phase 2 Roushcharged
I used a fuse tap I'm my 2021 on the front camera fuse for my 12v amp turn on and it worked fine. My 2021 has 3 fuse types though and a lot of unused fuse ports. I have found the 3 blade fuses, 2 blade normal, and 2 blade mini. I didn't have any issues with putting in a fuse tap. I'd shy away from modifying the plastic and maybe find a more convenient fuse if 23 doesn't want to work. The fuses are very tight in there so make sure you use a light and get the fuse inserted correctly and that you haven't pushed the fuse housing out of the holder.
Sponsored