• Total voters

Olivas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ernest
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT w/PP
Just switch to Amsoil full synthetic. Doubt I'd use anything else anymore.
^^This, in a 5w-30 because I live in Phx where can see regular 110+ degree days and 5w30 makes me feel better.
Sponsored

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Quaker State fully synthetic 5w20. I did some research and found that QS seemed to be the best for the money hands down.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White '18 GT350
+1

My dealership extends my powertrain warranty out to 10 years/200k miles as long as I do my oil changes and services through them. At $39, it's a no brainier.

No problem with running better oil, but don't think it will make a difference in how long your engine will last. Hell, most in here probably won't have their cars past 100k miles.
39 for an oil change? Damn that's pretty good. I don't think I'm that low even doing it myself

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
I've owned 4 mustangs and my 2016 GT will be with me until I am 70, 58 currently. I use Pennzoil 5 w 20 or 5 w 30 7 qt. plus Lucas synthetic stabilizer 1 qt. I tried Castrol Magnetec and it was great. I pay $22.00 for 5 qts. synthetic is the way to go if you "Road Warrior" your pony or track it.
If you don't mind me asking, why do you use this Lucas stuff?

I had a Harley that had a rocker noise. This stuff would quieten it down.
My Mustang V-8 is quiet.
I don't see any reason to use an additive.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't drive enough per year to justify full synthetic. I just stick with MC 5W20 and change every 4000 miles which is how much I drive my Mustang in a year.
My DD Subaru gets new oil every 4000 miles also due to turbo but I use factory Subaru 5W30 synthetic.
My Ducati also gets oil once a year or every 5000 miles which don't happen very often in the midwest. I also stick with factory Shell 15W50 full synthetic.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I would not put ANY "stabilizer" or oil additive in my crank case. There is absolutely no reason with the additive packages already present in today's oils. Most, if not all, major oil manufacturers actually recommend not using any kind of oil additive as it may interfere with their additive package. It can cause adverse effects like increasing the acidity of the oil or cause foaming. I'm sure there are people out there that say they've been using products like Lucas for years with no adverse effects, but I would not touch that stuff with a ten-foot pole.
Listen to this guy. I used to work for the company making the additives that go in the big brand oils. They are loaded with everything you need. Lucas and MMO are mostly solvent.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic. In my truck I use the extended life stuff. I use synthetics primarily because I'm not great about my oil change intervals. I took my last change down to 4%. That's actually a bit extreme even for me, but if I'm gonna be who I am I want a decent oil in there.

foqus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Volkswagen Beetle, 2018 Mustang GT
Just switch to Amsoil full synthetic. Doubt I'd use anything else anymore.
Absolutely Amsoil. On a side note: I would usually only balk at doing my oil changes if I didn’t have a replacement washer nor a torque wrench on hand. Don’t the new Mustangs have a polymer oil drain plug/mechanism that eliminates the need for both?

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Something to think about

Absolutely Amsoil. On a side note: I would usually only balk at doing my oil changes if I didn’t have a replacement washer nor a torque wrench on hand. Don’t the new Mustangs have a polymer oil drain plug/mechanism that eliminates the need for both?
YES! The 2018's also have a composite plastic oil pan which I am not crazy about. I'm old school and like steel for the oil pan, just saying. I do my own maintenance and know that it is done right. I use Mobil 1 5W20 and change the oil and rotate the tires every 5000 miles. In todays world you can not trust who is working on your car unless you have developed a working relationship with the service tech. Some guys rush the job and you get short changed with the job and the bill. Over torqued wheel studs, shorted oil, broken tabs on the lower panels, you get the picture.

Most people are honest and try to do a good job. But then...........It's why I do it myself.

Sponsored

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I don't drive enough per year to justify full synthetic. I just stick with MC 5W20 and change every 4000 miles which is how much I drive my Mustang in a year.
My DD Subaru gets new oil every 4000 miles also due to turbo but I use factory Subaru 5W30 synthetic.
My Ducati also gets oil once a year or every 5000 miles which don't happen very often in the midwest. I also stick with factory Shell 15W50 full synthetic.
Jason,I don't think it's the amount of miles you drive every year as much as the protection a quality synthetic offers each time you drive. I average under 5k per year also but I want a quality oil working every time I push that button.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm planning on running the Motorcraft synthetic blend until 5000~6000 miles on the engine to ensure total break-in, then will probably switch to a full synthetic. Either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge or Castrol Magnatec. Mobil 1 5W-20 is a bit thicker at 100 deg C than most 5W-20 oils out there.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I always use full synthetic royal purple on my motors, have not had a failure. The only engine failure I've ever had was when running full sythetic castrol. It probably was not the oils fault, but made me leary. AMSOIL gets great reviews. Mobil one has diehards and people that say its crap. Its track record is pretty dang good. I really dont feel like you can go wrong ith a top tier synthetic. I am very much a synthetic oil praiser. Chainging all fluids to synthetic on my 92 thunderbird super coupe netted a gas mileage increase, for cheap insurance i dont know why someone would buy less personally.

Edit: i would also never use stabilizer unless it was an old pushrod motor at the end of its rope. With clearances so tight on new motors, and the oil being so good now, no way.

Edit 2: i also have always used 5-30 because of a thread that a Ford engineer stating that 5-30 is what the modular motors were designed to run on, and Ford switched to 5-20 mid cycle because it saved them mileage, and that he recommend 5-30. I dont know if that still holds true. It was SVT performance forum i believe, google should pull it up.

Last edited:

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 full synthetic. Might go back to 5W-20 when I change it again. Not quite sure which would be better if I frequently let my engine hover around 3k RPM....lol I figure 5W-30...but then again I'm only used to using Brotella T6 on the old car.